Black widow elite cleaning damage!

Real pigowl
Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
Just now, Real pigowl said:

Today I figured I would clean my keyboard and I did, I used some wipes like I typically do, took the key caps off and used a toothbrush to clean the dust. I used a little bit of soapy water while it was unplugged because I knew without any electricity it will be fine, im assuming it didn’t dry fully because the keys on the left aren’t working and the rgb is barely shining for some keys.. what do i do? 

Unplug it and let it air dry for 24 hours. Could perhaps speed things up with a hairdryer but that could melt some things and do more harm than good. Lowest settings if possible.

Today I figured I would clean my keyboard and I did, I used some wipes like I typically do, took the key caps off and used a toothbrush to clean the dust. I used a little bit of soapy water while it was unplugged because I knew without any electricity it will be fine, im assuming it didn’t dry fully because the keys on the left aren’t working and the rgb is barely shining for some keys.. what do i do? 

Unplug it and let it air dry for 24 hours. Could perhaps speed things up with a hairdryer but that could melt some things and do more harm than good. Lowest settings if possible.

Just now, Hinjima said:

Thanks dude, I unplugged it and will wait 24 hours. Would the damage already be done?

3 minutes ago, Real pigowl said:

Thanks dude, I unplugged it and will wait 24 hours. Would the damage already be done?

Uncertain.  The retaining moisture / water can cause a short or hinder proper function of the keyboard.
Best bet is to just let it dry for a while and try again. 24 hours should be plenty, rather wait a bit longer to be on the 'safe side'  Absolutely no guarantee but its your best option. Remove the key caps as well so it dries better.

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

Uncertain.  The retaining moisture / water can cause a short or hinder proper function of the keyboard.
Best bet is to just let it dry for a while and try again. 24 hours should be plenty, rather wait a bit longer to be on the 'safe side'  Absolutely no guarantee but its your best option. Remove the key caps as well so it dries better.

Should I flip my keyboard keys facing down? 

Sure, why not 🙂

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

Sure, why not 🙂

Hey man thanks! 

Hey man thanks! 

No Worries, keep me updated!

13 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

I used a little bit of soapy water while it was unplugged because I knew without any electricity it will be fine

Rule of thumb: even without electricity involved: Don't use water on technologies unless if you know there are no ingress points or you have no other option. Medical grade Alcohol is better.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

15 minutes ago, Real pigowl said:

Given it's a mechanical keyboard, it's likely it's still fine. 

I would suggest wait a bit longer than 24 hours. Ideally in the end put it in a bag with some  color changing silica moisture absorber to ensure there is no moisture left.

13 minutes ago, Real pigowl said:

I would recommend to open the keyboard up exposing the circuit board if you can find the screws and not afraid of breaking some clips.

18 hours ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

I would recommend to open the keyboard up exposing the circuit board if you can find the screws and not afraid of breaking some clips.

I opened it up.. this is what it looks like, I can’t tell if it’s good or not lol6574AE0D-BB24-43FE-BB4A-991CD5EF034A.thumb.jpeg.79a0444b6a3adfa2d53d1be357629c9f.jpeg

18 hours ago, Hinjima said:

No Worries, keep me updated!

Hey update, I opened it up and it looks fine but I haven’t plugged it in since the cleaning happened. 

5F0A864E-7AC6-4FD2-A8CD-A70AA3722CE4.jpeg

1 minute ago, Real pigowl said:

Hey update, I opened it up and it looks fine but I haven’t plugged it in since the cleaning happened. 

5F0A864E-7AC6-4FD2-A8CD-A70AA3722CE4.jpeg

Give it a try! Only way to find out 😄

5 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Give it a try! Only way to find out 😄

I’ll wait a little longer, I’ll keep u updated.

8 minutes ago, Real pigowl said:

I’ll wait a little longer, I’ll keep u updated.

if you have a magnifier, try look and see if there is any green/blue corrosion. If not, it have high chance of still working.

9 hours ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

if you have a magnifier, try look and see if there is any green/blue corrosion. If not, it have high chance of still working.

It works!

12 hours ago, Real pigowl said:

It works!

Nice and glad it worked. Hope when you put it back together there aren't extra screws.

On 6/24/2023 at 7:20 AM, Real pigowl said:

It works!

Ayoo! Sweet 😄  Fantastic news.