can i use a 6 pin connecter on a 8 pin gpu the

fishiboi12
Go to solution Solved by CWALD,

if you get an adapter then it will likely work but proceed at your own risk. I am using a molex to 6pin myself but I also accepted that I was going to die in a blaze long ago. If I'm lucky thoughI might get a blaze of glory 😛

the gpu is a rx6600 and i am trying to get it in a old z600 to get it up and running for gameing but the z600 psu has a 6 pin power connecter and the gpu has a 8 pin connecter any recomendations to run it safely? for now i am thinking of buying a budget gpu perhaps and running off that instead 

You won't get enough power on the 6pin connector to boot an 8pin GPU, it'll just throw an error message after it POSTs.

A GPU that requires less power, or finding some way to upgrade the PSU will be your best options. There are ways to run multiple PSUs in the same system(people have used one PSU for the CPU and other parts, and one PSU for the GPU), but those setups aren't always stable and introduce more failure points.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

33 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You won't get enough power on the 6pin connector to boot an 8pin GPU, it'll just throw an error message after it POSTs.

A GPU that requires less power, or finding some way to upgrade the PSU will be your best options. There are ways to run multiple PSUs in the same system(people have used one PSU for the CPU and other parts, and one PSU for the GPU), but those setups aren't always stable and introduce more failure points.

Power supplies use the same 6 wires for 6 and 8 pins, typically the extra two ground pins are jumpered.

*Most* (but not all) video cards will sense that those two extra ground pins are unconnected.  If it works with 6-pin, then congrats.

I've seen some occasional nonsense like the Asrock A380 having an 8-pin connector while being only a 75W card.  By specification, the PCIE slot is supposed to supply 75W, meaning it theoretically didn't need any extra power connections at all, and at most a 75W 6 pin connector to provide extra power for overclocking or supplement a dodgy motherboard power delivery.  There is no need for a 125W 8-pin.

That said, if it doesn't work as-is then use a 6 to 8 pin adapter.

image.png.bbb8dd8d1758588d293cc7cb5fe11952.png

Whether you use a cheap adapter or give in to elitism and spend $$ on a power supply you don't need is up to you.

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

if you get an adapter then it will likely work but proceed at your own risk. I am using a molex to 6pin myself but I also accepted that I was going to die in a blaze long ago. If I'm lucky thoughI might get a blaze of glory 😛

15 hours ago, CWALD said:

alright thanks i will probably get a adapter then after reading the other reply's as well