Tower cooler with small coldplate

Devryd

Hey guys, 
I want to try mounting an air cooler to my framework mainboard. The problem is, that I dont have much space, as the CPU sits below some SMD components. So I either have to use a copper shim (less performance) or I need a cooler, which is smaller than 32mm on the coldplate. It doesnt have to be a square, it can be a rectangle. I should be fine with 32x <50mm

Do you know such a cooler?

A third option might be to modify a air cooler with a bigger cold plate, but I would prefer one that is already fitting. 

Copper shim really is the only way. If you solder it well to the coldplat itll do very well.

32mm is far too small for any cpu made in the last 2 decades. You'd ve looking at coolers from 2001 and earlier which are well simply not better than the stock framework

Ok, then I dont really have a different option.

Thanks for the info

19 minutes ago, Devryd said:

Hey guys, 
I want to try mounting an air cooler to my framework mainboard. The problem is, that I dont have much space, as the CPU sits below some SMD components. So I either have to use a copper shim (less performance) or I need a cooler, which is smaller than 32mm on the coldplate. It doesnt have to be a square, it can be a rectangle. I should be fine with 32x <50mm

Do you know such a cooler?

A third option might be to modify a air cooler with a bigger cold plate, but I would prefer one that is already fitting. 

Maybe an intel stock cooler will clear. It will surely provide enough cooling, these can easily dissipate 50W, which is what a U-class CPU will never pull continouosly (unless you use ThrottleStop and set the power limit to something really high)

2 minutes ago, DreamCat04 said:

Maybe an intel stock cooler will clear

I cant find any measurements for it online. Do you know, where I can find it?

I was also thinking of using a beQuiet pure rock 2 and just cut down the cold plate on the side of the heat pipes. I looked up online and the heat pipes are 6mm in diameter. If I cut down the aluminium on the sites, it should fit.