Is the upgrade from a 3070 to 4080 worth it in terms of VRAM? Or should I go with the 3090?

TheawesomeMCB
Go to solution Solved by noob0saur,

For gaming definitely a 4080 for VRAM intensive applications 3090 (even though i don't really know the generational improvements of this gen in your specific use case).

Pretty much says it all. I want to get my video card upgraded because of the VRAM limitation I am currently having. So is it better to have an extra 16GB VRAM with a little less performance. or should I go with the 4080? 8GB currently isn't enough for me to run specific stuff and I'm hitting limits. What do you think? I can get a 3090 from ebay for around $950, but if I spend just a little more or close to the exact same I can get a 4080, but that only has 16gb of VRAM compared to the 3090 24gb. What should I do?

Edit: Also it HAS to be a NVIDIA card. Amd card won't work for me.

Edited by TheawesomeMCB

Just now, TheawesomeMCB said:

Pretty much says it all. I want to get my video card upgraded because of the VRAM limitation I am currently having. So is it better to have an extra 16GB VRAM with a little less performance. or should I go with the 4080? 8GB currently isn't enough for me to run specific stuff and I'm hitting limits. What do you think? I can get a 3090 from ebay for around $950, but if I spend just a little more or close to the exact same I can get a 4080, but that only has 16gb of VRAM compared to the 3090 24gb. What should I do?

What are you using the GPU for? Purely gaming?  Is AMD out of the question?

Just now, Hinjima said:

What are you using the GPU for? Purely gaming?  Is AMD out of the question?

AMD is out of the question yes. It's mainly an AI model I'm loading into VRAM

1 minute ago, TheawesomeMCB said:

I dont have much experience with that particular use case for a GPU. But the more VRAM the better I guess?
Will the 3090's 24GB be significant over the 4080's 16GB in the workload you are doing?

1 minute ago, TheawesomeMCB said:

If its really really vram dependant you may wanna just go buy a used 3090 or two, theyre like 700$ each on ebay

For gaming definitely a 4080 for VRAM intensive applications 3090 (even though i don't really know the generational improvements of this gen in your specific use case).

go for 3090 it has more vram for your need, also it is cheaper 

9 hours ago, TheawesomeMCB said:

What is the limit (VRAM max. utilized)?  If it is over 8gb but still well under 16gb - then the 4080 would be fine but pretty expensive.   Is there any site that benchmarks the program you use - that would compare a 4080 vs 3090?   

If you think it might come close to hitting a limit around 16gb, then it's probably better/safer to go with the extra VRAM and the 3090.   

The 4080 would be pretty good for what I want to do - Blender, video editing, some gaming - albeit with only 16gb (still considerable) but the 3090 used, is $600 LESS and I'd avoid the tax.   The problem with going with a used 3090 - is making sure the card is in good working order - they are higher power consumption and I'd rather avoid mining cards.   Good ones to get are the Tuf and MSI Trio or Suprim (best, imho).   

With the 4080 $600> 3090 - you'd probably be going with the cheapest one out there.   Well, it's $600 more here.