RTX 4070 on a z390 MB and 9700k

Sahl
Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
30 minutes ago, Sahl said:

I was looking to build, I just can´t get myself to build with a 4070ti or 4080 currently, they are extremely pricy here and for what they offer I am reluctant. So if the 4070, even if held back a bit, will give me a good playable experience in newer AAA games, it might be worth it then. Thank you for the reply.

I reckon there will always be a bit of bottleneck, but I don´t need a bump in my older games or even the few CPU bound ones I have, its merely for future games in 2023 and 2024. If I take this route, I will build a new rig in 2024 anyway. But I guess gen3 might not be such a huge problem anyway.

Thank you for the reply.

Gen 3 is absolutely no problem.  I see no issues with getting a 4070 with your 9700k and then upgrade the rest next year, the 4070 will still kick damn good in a years time.. Its not like its a slow card.  And just because newer cards come outdoesn't automatically make the previous gen bad, they will perform like they used to.

Hi all

Does anyone have experience with putting a RTX 4070 in an older system? Is it a viable upgrade? I see conflicting information about it.
I understand there will be some bottleneck (even at 1440p) but I am thinking about upgrading this from a 3060ti (that I got for free, after my old 2080 was rmaed) but I struggle in some of the newer games with my current setup.

I am very hesitent in terms of making a new rig atm, due to the current pricing and the value of higher RTX cards.

So do anyone have experience with this or a similar combo? the PCIe is Gen 3. Will the 4070 be much impacted by gen3 and the older system?

So far it seems the 4070 is the best value of the 40th series. Its around 670 euro here (prices are very high in my region)

An i7 9700k is still a respectable chip, with 8 fast cores, and the 4070 is PCIe gen4 but it is an x16 interface, so running it in your x16 slot at PCIe gen3 speeds shouldn't bottle neck the GPU at all.

I think that combo would run very well for you.

9 minutes ago, Sahl said:

Hi all

Does anyone have experience with putting a RTX 4070 in an older system? Is it a viable upgrade? I see conflicting information about it.
I understand there will be some bottleneck (even at 1440p) but I am thinking about upgrading this from a 3060ti (that I got for free, after my old 2080 was rmaed) but I struggle in some of the newer games with my current setup.

I am very hesitent in terms of making a new rig atm, due to the current pricing and the value of higher RTX cards.

So do anyone have experience with this or a similar combo? the PCIe is Gen 3. Will the 4070 be much impacted by gen3 and the older system?

So far it seems the 4070 is the best value of the 40th series. Its around 670 euro here (prices are very high in my region)

I tried to pair a 4080 with a 9900k and it was a terrible experience!  Major stutter, below avg framerate and just hickups constantly.  After upgrading to a 7700x all those issues went away, the 9900k was just not strong enough.  You will obviously see quite a decent jump in framerate with a 4070 over a 3060ti even on a 9700k but you are definitely holding the 4070 back. Gen 3 or 4 makes very little to no difference at all.

Just now, Hinjima said:

I tried to pair a 4080 with a 9900k and it was a terrible experience!  Major stutter, below avg framerate and just hickups constantly.  After upgrading to a 7700x all those issues went away, the 9900k was just not strong enough.  You will obviously see quite a decent jump in framerate with a 4070 over a 3060ti even on a 9700k but you are definitely holding the 4070 back.

I was looking to build, I just can´t get myself to build with a 4070ti or 4080 currently, they are extremely pricy here and for what they offer I am reluctant. So if the 4070, even if held back a bit, will give me a good playable experience in newer AAA games, it might be worth it then. Thank you for the reply.

4 minutes ago, Aaron_T said:

An i7 9700k is still a respectable chip, with 8 fast cores, and the 4070 is PCIe gen4 but it is an x16 interface, so running it in your x16 slot at PCIe gen3 speeds shouldn't bottle neck the GPU at all.

I think that combo would run very well for you.

I reckon there will always be a bit of bottleneck, but I don´t need a bump in my older games or even the few CPU bound ones I have, its merely for future games in 2023 and 2024. If I take this route, I will build a new rig in 2024 anyway. But I guess gen3 might not be such a huge problem anyway.

Thank you for the reply.

30 minutes ago, Sahl said:

Thank you for the reply.

Gen 3 is absolutely no problem.  I see no issues with getting a 4070 with your 9700k and then upgrade the rest next year, the 4070 will still kick damn good in a years time.. Its not like its a slow card.  And just because newer cards come outdoesn't automatically make the previous gen bad, they will perform like they used to.

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

I think this is the best options. I just did not want to be too limited and I was in doubt, due to various information gathered, so often its better to get some replies from people that tried similar or atleast have more tech knowledge. A build around a 4080 would have me pay around 3k euro. I am not interested in that with what the 4080 currently offer.

Thank you again for the reply. I will be going with the 4070 to extend the life cycle of my current setup. (might get another cheap SSD as well, instead of optane)