RTX 2080ti hitting 100c+ during gaming for no apparent reason

Basically what the title says. I've had the card for a few years, and I'm not too knowledgeable about card degradation, but I feel like that's not what's happening here (inb4 need to replace). Only one single part of the card temp is actually spiking that high, while the other two sensors are reading stuff normally around 70 and 75 (sometimes a bit higher). It used to be that I'd be able to play high-end games at max graphics while streaming and it wouldn't overheat. But now, if I'm just chilling and not streaming, it'll overheat, sometimes even if it isn't on max graphics. I'm worried something is wrong with the card, but I've no ide why. The important specs for my computer are included in the screenshot, which shows my temps.

This happened earlier today and I immediately closed the game I was playing, which was tetris effect (not in vr mode)
image.png.2c4c7f8827fe2afc0a466aa0a81ffefe.png

After shutting it down, it immediately went down to these levels

image.png.16aa2b1f8247ea024de66c9c8fd661e1.png

These were actually done with my fans all blowing at 100%, and it was worse than earlier when I didn't have them that high. I'm confused and worried. My case shouldn't be a problem, and I've been dusting semi-regularly (last dusting was a month ago). Oh, and my case is the Corsair D500 Obsidian, which I'm assuming has decent airflow, and even if not, these temps still happen with both side panels off. It should be worth mentioning, that there was a defining point that this all started happening, it didn't gradually occur. Just one day the temps started spiking like crazy. Also, overall gpu temps have just been much higher than normal since this point, not just the random one part getting super hot.

Wat do?

19 hours ago, Shimejii said:

looks like hotspot temperature. 25-30c difference is a bit high, sounds like it may need to be repasted as its been 5 years since it came out.

You're probably right. I've been hoping it wasn't the thing I need to do cause I'm lazy and I worry about getting into the gpu...

12 hours ago, BitLink said:

You're probably right. I've been hoping it wasn't the thing I need to do cause I'm lazy and I worry about getting into the gpu...

You could try to limit the power a bit at 90% or lower to combat the heat. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

On 6/19/2023 at 12:29 AM, hollyh88 said:

You could try to limit the power a bit at 90% or lower to combat the heat. 

I could, but wouldn't that just be relieving the effects as opposed to treating the problem? 

Also, I'm getting the paste tomorrow. I'll try and see if that helps and update what happens 👍

22 minutes ago, BitLink said:

I could, but wouldn't that just be relieving the effects as opposed to treating the problem? 

Also, I'm getting the paste tomorrow. I'll try and see if that helps and update what happens 👍

It would but if your scared to change the paste it's not a bad thing for temporarily solving it by putting the power down. But I hope the repaste goes well 👍

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

Well, it's certainly better and more even, but it's still a little high. I'm slightly happy with it like this, but if any of you know some ancient technologic ritual to make them get lower, I'm all fuckin ears. Or just good advice to lower temps slightly 😛 This was after playing the same game for a good while, and it's staying around these temps. It's definitely more even now at the very least

image.png.d2878e38a9c6bc72461e3639ca97eaef.png

18 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

It would but if your scared to change the paste it's not a bad thing for temporarily solving it by putting the power down. But I hope the repaste goes well 👍

Repaste went well......honestly I thought there'd be more to it than it was. And also more places to put paste on..... I bought a 5 gram tube of grizzly paste lol

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, so I'm back. So, I started to notice that temps were back up to the 90s, and I randomly remembered that I've got a temp gun. It seems that this area here (circled in red) is the part that's overheating the most, and not the area where the chip is (directly to the left where the obvious mark on the board is) which is what I initially thought was the problem zone. Apparently that's fine. In this area, it's got a thermal pad there instead of paste, and it.....seems good? It had a little dust on the edges which I tried to remove a little of, but I found it was kinda useless without damaging the pad, but there wasn't *any* dust on the surface of the pad. Anyways, THAT seems to be the real problem here, not the chip paste. I assume that's the ram part of the card? Should I replace the thermal pad? Is the card on its last legs? Alsoo, the temps in the temp gun are lower than what my software says (by about 10c), but I imagine the app will give more accurate readings than the surface level readings.....unless that's incorrect, but I don't know these things. I imagine it could also just be that it's warm in my room cause summer, but the temps I'm worried about are still way higher than the rest of the card's temps and that has me still concerned...

Thanks in advance again!

image.jpeg