Ubuntu Pro at home?

I have a KUbuntu 22.04 machine, and I'm intending to use it for many years. As in, potentially more than 5.

I will have a ZFS storage pool on this machine, and I may be doing my video editing, transcodework, data backup (from my other machine),as well as web browsing, media hosting (Plex), and other misc tasks, other than gaming.

Would it be beneficial to get Pro for the extended security support? I'm pretty close to having this machine set up the way I want it for shortterm use, I'm considering taking it from. 3900XT to a 5950X, and the gpu might go from a Vega64 to a 6700XT. Other than that, it's mostly just adding storage to it

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

34 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

There is not point for your use case, regular LTS version will work fine.

What if I end up using it past standard support time?

2 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Upgrade your OS to a newer version with support? 

You aren't running a critical server at the enterprise level.  You don't need support, your computer won't blow up or stop working.

You just install a newer version of the OS and continue on if you want.

Try not to over-complicate things, start with something simple and continue to learn and expand your skills, and slowly grow, rather than trying to rush towards the perfect goal.

6 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Presumably you would be able to update to the next OS with long term support.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, ToboRobot said:

Upgrade your OS to a newer version with support? 

You aren't running a critical server at the enterprise level.  You don't need support, your computer won't blow up or stop working.

You just install a newer version of the OS and continue on if you want.

Try not to over-complicate things, start with something simple and continue to learn and expand your skills, and slowly grow, rather than trying to rush towards the perfect goal.

I'm going to be running a multi-tb drive array in ZFS, I'm not exactly thrilled about having to upgrade the OS and potentially lose that array.

If it does come to that just run sudo apt upgrade? 5 years for LTS is fine

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

I'm going to be running a multi-tb drive array in ZFS, I'm not exactly thrilled about having to upgrade the OS and potentially lose that array.

A) you should have a backup
B) it's an infrequent cycle (4 years to go on the current LTS version)
C) Changing your OS shouldn't break your array, and see A)

But do whatever you want, I am sure Ubuntu will be happy for the support, and worst comes to worst, you waste your money.

13 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

A) you should have a backup
B) it's an infrequent cycle (4 years to go on the current LTS version)
C) Changing your OS shouldn't break your array, and see A)

But do whatever you want, I am sure Ubuntu will be happy for the support, and worst comes to worst, you waste your money.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to afford a single drive as a backup, but we'll see. I'm less concerned about backing stuff up, and more concerned about bit rot and data corruption. Before anyone says anything, I have some music that I have already had to replace due to bit rot or data corruption, and I've had multiple compies of it on multiple machines.

I have not done an OS upgrade on Linux yet; I will grab a 20.04 ISO and experiment with it in a VM.

4 hours ago, Sarra said:

I have a KUbuntu 22.04 machine, and I'm intending to use it for many years. As in, potentially more than 5.

I will have a ZFS storage pool on this machine, and I may be doing my video editing, transcodework, data backup (from my other machine),as well as web browsing, media hosting (Plex), and other misc tasks, other than gaming.

Would it be beneficial to get Pro for the extended security support? I'm pretty close to having this machine set up the way I want it for shortterm use, I'm considering taking it from. 3900XT to a 5950X, and the gpu might go from a Vega64 to a 6700XT. Other than that, it's mostly just adding storage to it

If you willing to pay for it, then it's not a problem.

That said, you should practice backups and have a migration path forward as hardware enablement support will end after 2025 for 22.04 and you'll only receive security patches. This your inevitable replacement hardware in the future could have issues.

2 hours ago, 10leej said:

If you willing to pay for it, then it's not a problem.

That said, you should practice backups and have a migration path forward as hardware enablement support will end after 2025 for 22.04 and you'll only receive security patches. This your inevitable replacement hardware in the future could have issues.

Ubuntu Pro is free for home users up to 5 machines?

I'm setting this machine up as the replacement for a 8 year old machine, as it has been giving me hardware problems, and that platform is no longer supported. o.x

As long as 24.04 LTS and beyond continues to support ZFS, I guess I will just plan on testing it in a VM for several weeks, then migrate over to it before it's primary support expires.

On 6/16/2023 at 8:05 PM, Sarra said:

Ubuntu Pro is free for home users up to 5 machines?

I'm setting this machine up as the replacement for a 8 year old machine, as it has been giving me hardware problems, and that platform is no longer supported. o.x

As long as 24.04 LTS and beyond continues to support ZFS, I guess I will just plan on testing it in a VM for several weeks, then migrate over to it before it's primary support expires.

Wasn't aware it had a fee teir.

Honestly that's the best way to go. That said Ubuntu wont give a ZFS setup in the installer (at least not right now) so if your likely going to have to manually manage the zfs pools yourself. Not that it's hard, but if the only excuse you have for Ubuntu is ZFS, there are plenty of other options.

8 hours ago, 10leej said:

Wasn't aware it had a fee teir.

Honestly that's the best way to go. That said Ubuntu wont give a ZFS setup in the installer (at least not right now) so if your likely going to have to manually manage the zfs pools yourself. Not that it's hard, but if the only excuse you have for Ubuntu is ZFS, there are plenty of other options.

I've already got ZFS installed, I used EXT4 for my OS filesystem. Not sure why it defaults to NTFS?

I chose Ubuntu because, after using it for a year, I didn't want to change. It works just fine, does what I want, and is easy enough to manage everything. I'd consider Debian 12, now, but it wasn't out when I installed Ubuntu lol