How to "market" my app?

Shy Devil

Hi so i've been developing a chat application for quite some time. To be short: its like discord but self hosted.

My plan was to create a alternative to current media giants. As a former TeamSpeak user, i loved to be able to host my own server, which is not possible with discord to my knowledge, which was one of my biggest reasons to make that chat app. 

I tried other apps like guilded which is really cool but lacks a lot of users. I tried other alternatives too. I wanted to take the problems and fix them as well. The development process was very time consuming but its fun. Its still in a very early version but its a working prototype.

I have similar issues with other software i made too that just no one uses because no one knows that it exists.

Now i wonder how can i let people know that it exists without any social media presence? I have a 800 user discord but the topic just doesnt fit my software at all so i dont wanna market it there. (tried a bit tho).

I made a small demo video if someone is interested.

I reckon users will just come overtime

Try creating a small but loyal userbase and after that you just wait, eventually that small userbase will spread the program to others which will in turn also do the same. Though obviously this will take awhile

you can also pay for advertisements or get a relatively large content creator to cover your program to speed things up

4 hours ago, Shy Devil said:

My plan was to create a alternative to current media giants. As a former TeamSpeak user, i loved to be able to host my own server

Most people care more about Convenience than privacy. It would likely help if you can streamline the hosting process.

ಠ_ಠ