Please Help: Wifi connection issues.

xSpaceMan11x

Hey everyone, so I have this situation. This is about the layout of my house not being accurately measured but close enough. M is for the main router and modem, and the numbers are the points. I am currently using a DOCSIS® 3.1 Cable Modem (CM1100) Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Cable Modem from Netgear, which is connected to one Google wifi router. The numbered circles are all Google wifi routers. I am not a wifi expert, but from what I've seen using the app and from the speeds I'm getting, something isn't right. We get drops in speed, and the only reason one of the points is good is that there is an ethernet cable running from M to 1, at least, that's what I think. The others idk what is up with them, but they don't seem to work. Please let me know if I should provide any other info.

HOME.thumb.png.e88f65b8f0cf5bad7718ca5372210ee9.pngScreenshot2023-06-15190057.png.6abce33ef3d8afc9adcb9edb6e424769.pngScreenshot2023-06-15190153.thumb.png.87617bc4defb788d76b431cb8e7ea230.pngScreenshot_20230615_193020_Home.thumb.jpg.1d0ed93e6cfc84d6a86e699721b5807a.jpgScreenshot_20230615_190405_Home.thumb.jpg.035da8c95a9ad7b1d6a2e50463f222cf.jpg

The obvious answer would be the weak signals coming from your mesh network. Solve that first and then try again.

I'll clarify a little more. Using Mesh, the first tip is to have them up high. Usually, most barriers in a house are around the height of people. Fridges, TV's, furniture, etc. Getting rid of as many barriers between points as possible will help connections.  They sell wall mounts for them for pretty cheap on Amazon.

Another tip is to make sure to have one point right next to your modem with a short ethernet cable then spread the other mesh routers based on the location of the one connected to the modem. If you are getting weak signals still, then move them closer. If you have them spread out so far because you have some goal you're not hitting (Like getting signal outside), then consider buying extra mesh points instead of trying to position them too far away from each other.

Lastly and arguably the most important tip, do not mount mesh points until AFTER you have tested their signal in an area. You may have to hold the mesh point in one hand and run the test with the other hand to check the signal but this will still save you valuable time if you mounted before testing.

those looks directional.. 

EDIT: nm.. could only see half in that picture 😄 .. 

not sure about the google wifi routers. but some reduce signal when they find next device too close.. space them out more.  or shut down the one labled 2. 

you have not mentioned what the walls are made of either. wich is important as concrete rebared walls reduce wifi signal alot more than light walls.. etc. 

... and i would never put a wifi router in kids bedroom.. .. so maybe shut down 1 and 3.. and leave M and 2 as access points. 

and according to google.. the range is.. 

do you realy need 4?...  most houses are not more than 140sq. m.  and your looks like less.. 

Devices Coverage
One Google Wifi point Up to 140 sq. m.
Two Google Wifi points Up to 280 sq. m.
Three Google Wifi points Up to 420 sq. m.
Four Google Wifi points

Up to 560 sq. m.

On 6/16/2023 at 1:07 AM, Cruise said:

I'll clarify a little more. Using Mesh, the first tip is to have them up high. Usually, most barriers in a house are around the height of people. Fridges, TV's, furniture, etc. Getting rid of as many barriers between points as possible will help connections.  They sell wall mounts for them for pretty cheap on Amazon.

Another tip is to make sure to have one point right next to your modem with a short ethernet cable then spread the other mesh routers based on the location of the one connected to the modem. If you are getting weak signals still, then move them closer. If you have them spread out so far because you have some goal you're not hitting (Like getting signal outside), then consider buying extra mesh points instead of trying to position them too far away from each other.

Lastly and arguably the most important tip, do not mount mesh points until AFTER you have tested their signal in an area. You may have to hold the mesh point in one hand and run the test with the other hand to check the signal but this will still save you valuable time if you mounted before testing.

On 6/16/2023 at 1:36 AM, Robchil said:

those looks directional.. 

EDIT: nm.. could only see half in that picture 😄 .. 

not sure about the google wifi routers. but some reduce signal when they find next device too close.. space them out more.  or shut down the one labled 2. 

you have not mentioned what the walls are made of either. wich is important as concrete rebared walls reduce wifi signal alot more than light walls.. etc. 

... and i would never put a wifi router in kids bedroom.. .. so maybe shut down 1 and 3.. and leave M and 2 as access points. 

and according to google.. the range is.. 

do you realy need 4?...  most houses are not more than 140sq. m.  and your looks like less.. 

Devices Coverage
One Google Wifi point Up to 140 sq. m.
Two Google Wifi points Up to 280 sq. m.
Three Google Wifi points Up to 420 sq. m.
Four Google Wifi points

Up to 560 sq. m.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice regarding having 1 in the kid's bedroom, I am the kid my parents aren't really tech people, so I pretty much try my best to figure this stuff out. What I could figure out my house is about 255 sq. m long; it's a pretty old ranch-style house. It is a long house, and when it was built, the cable for the internet is in the living room where you see M shown. I think I mentioned this, but I do have the Nest wifi router right next to the modem, and I also have an ethernet cable coming from that all the way from under our house to point 1. I don't know if that should help or if I did it wrong, but I would have thought that it would help the connection. Let me know if that's wrong. All the walls inside the house, to my knowledge, are all drywall only the outer perimeter is brick. I will try moving them up higher as you suggested, Cruise, point 3 is on the fridge, so it should be fine.

Also, on a side note, should I be trusting the google home wifi speed tester because apparently I am getting great wifi, but I can tell both on my phone when I watch live streams, I can't watch them on the highest resolution, and on the speed test app that I have on my phone. I should be getting about 800mbps download, and the Google app is saying that I do, but when I run the speedtest app, it usually says either 400ish or even around 20-100mbps. 

22 minutes ago, xSpaceMan11x said:

Hey guys, thanks for the advice regarding having 1 in the kid's bedroom, I am the kid my parents aren't really tech people, so I pretty much try my best to figure this stuff out. What I could figure out my house is about 255 sq. m long; it's a pretty old ranch-style house. It is a long out, and when it was built, the cable for the internet is in the living room where you see M shown. I think I mentioned this, but I do have the Nest wifi router right next to the modem, and I also have an ethernet cable coming from that all the way from under our house to point 1. I don't know if that should help or if I did it wrong, but I would have thought that it would help the connection. Let me know if that's wrong. All the walls inside the house, to my knowledge, are all drywall only the outer perimeter is brick. I will try moving them up higher as you suggested, Cruise, point 3 is on the fridge, so it should be fine.

Also, on a side note, should I be trusting the google home wifi speed tester because apparently I am getting great wifi, but I can tell both on my phone when I watch live streams, I can't watch them on the highest resolution, and on the speed test app that I have on my phone. I should be getting about 800mbps download, and the Google app is saying that I do, but when I run the speedtest app, it usually says either 400ish or even around 20-100mbps. 

depends on the wifi router most only get max 300mbit when it's fast.. you should only need 25mbit to stream 4k tho..  and that depends on the routers, AND the devices you connect. if you set it up with 5Ghz band or just 2.4Ghz..  with home equipment you will almost never get Ethernet speeds from the wifi connection, unless you have wifi 6 APs . it will never be faster than the slowest link etc.. 

btw.. do you have a google wifi connected directly to the Modem?  and that's nr 1? .. it's no wifi function in the Modem btw..