Need help in getting a new phone!

Hello guys, I'm in the market for a new phone and I have a two phones in mind, the S21 FE 5G or the S20 FE, any thoughts which phone I should get? Thanks in advance.聽馃槃

Around 400 Euros. In my country these phones go around for 350 to 450 Euros. That's why I'm asking for an opinion on both of them.

What are you coming from? I was using an LG V40 before going with a Samsung S21 5G once updates stopped. The day I finished the service contract I bought a used Pixel 4a 5G (last pixel with a headphone jack) and loaded it up with graphene os. Its still not as good as the LG but it has been way better then the Samsung despite being older and having lower end specs. The only problem with it is that updates will stop in a year or so.

I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy A40, so both are going to be a big upgrade. Thing is, one is bigger, cheaper and has expandable storage (S20 FE). The other has a better camera, better cpu and gets future updates (S21 FE).

18 hours ago, KeaneUli said:

I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy A40, so both are going to be a big upgrade. Thing is, one is bigger, cheaper and has expandable storage (S20 FE). The other has a better camera, better cpu and gets future updates (S21 FE).

CPU depends entirely on what you do with your phone, for me it's not really a factor unless I am looking at phones under $200 us. Expandable storage and continued support/updates are both very important to me even though I decided to prioritize a headphone jack and a privacy focused os this time. If you like to run CPU intensive apps then that may be your priority, if you keep a bunch of FLAC files on your phone then expandable storage would be critical. Sorry if this isn't the clear cut answer you were hoping for but the importance you place on different features is entirely up to you.

One reason I was ok with getting a phone that only has a year of updates left is because I am super excited about labs testing reception quality. I live in the boonies and poor reception was one of my biggest complaints about the s21 5G.

You could get an older device that is also compatible with https://lineageos.org/ and such a device with a unlockable bootloader (like when you put in the eindows disc to install windows, or a usb storage to install Linux Mint) to instead run LineageOS.

With enough community support, LineageOS will provide a longer software support cycle than four tp five years, and increase performance and customization such as a color output modification for red green blue, to reduce the blue light from the display at night to help with sleep.

This could allow you to save some dough and refurbish what would be an obscelete device which would otherwise be thrown into the garbage.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?聽 Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.聽 Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.聽 They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.聽 Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.聽 Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).聽 Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.聽 Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).聽 RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.聽 I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!聽 I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.聽 This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.聽 Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.