What Monitor Should I Get?

So I have currently saved $4,000 dollars toward a gaming pc and I have almost decided on all my parts except for one, the monitor. Samsung recently released their affordable 4k monitor with 1ms (GTG) response times, support for 1 billion colors, and that runs at 60 hz. Asus is soon going to reveal their ROG monitor which is going to be at a resolution of 1440p, have a 1ms (GTG response time), run at 120hz, and have Nvidia G-sync. I have the graphics horsepower to drive either of these monitors and as a gammer which monitor should I get. I mostly play first shooters if that matters.

I'm pretty sure the asus ROG one is a TN panel so I would suggest going with the Samsung 4k or the LG UM95 34 inch 21:9 is out. Could pick that up from anyone who still has them.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

since you already have the horse power, i'd suggest you go for 4k monitor of samsung, it makes sense , since you are going to use it for gaming mainly.other 4k units have huge input lags & lesser refresh rate but has higher clolor depth. but for gaming you'd have to wait two years or so for them to put out a viable monitor with enough color depth & response time for gaming. & 4k kind of future proofs your system for atleast 5 years i think, considering its a TN panel. or go for the normal gsync monitor with mid range capability & acceptable price frame 200$-300$ max & save up the money for a later good 4k monitor purchase.

:ph34r: ninja hates justin bieber

Details separate people.

ROG Swift without a doubt.

Is the refresh rate and the g-sync really worth it over the color reproduction and the extra pixels? I have never had a true gaming monitor and 4k is tempting so I am just wondering if it really makes the gaming experience worth it.

Is the refresh rate and the g-sync really worth it over the color reproduction and the extra pixels? I have never had a true gaming monitor and 4k is tempting so I am just wondering if it really makes the gaming experience worth it.

Depends.

If you want a 4K IPS panel at 60hz, that's also fine.

But "Gaming" monitors are usually the ones with a high refresh rate (120 or 144 hz ).

I'm pretty sure the asus ROG one is a TN panel so I would suggest going with the Samsung 4k or the LG UM95 34 inch 21:9 is out. Could pick that up from anyone who still has them.

The Samsung 4K is a TN panel too. Both of them use pretty decent ones though, as far as TN goes.

Not sure how I feel about 4K right now, since the pixel density is great in games but on the desktop, current software does not handle it well at all, and everything is super tiny. You can use scaling methods but it's a far from perfect solution. As for the color depth, it's not something that really matters and won't really benefit you at all. I explain more about what 10-bit colors do here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/146719-color-depth-and-general-consumer/?p=1961401

A nice 1440p monitor might not be a bad idea. The ROG Swift or perhaps an IPS panel like the PB278Q.

The Samsung 4K is a TN panel too. Both of them use pretty decent ones though, as far as TN goes.

Not sure how I feel about 4K right now, since the pixel density is great in games but on the desktop, current software does not handle it well at all, and everything is super tiny. You can use scaling methods but it's a far from perfect solution. As for the color depth, it's not something that really matters and won't really benefit you at all. I explain more about what 10-bit colors do here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/146719-color-depth-and-general-consumer/?p=1961401

A nice 1440p monitor might not be a bad idea. The ROG Swift or perhaps an IPS panel like the PB278Q.

Ok, thanks. 4k is tempting but my only real question is does 120hz really improve a gaming experience over 60hz.

Ok, thanks. 4k is tempting but my only real question is does 120hz really improve a gaming experience over 60hz.

Yes, but only for competitive shooters IMO, I dont see the point in buying amazing graphics cards and spending all that money to run at a lower resolution with sub par colours. Graphical fidelity is what I go for, and a nice consistent 60fps is smooth

I could have gone 4k but decided on 1440p, as desktop use at 4k is quite horrible

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It does, but so does better color reproduction that you would get with IPS (not talking about color depth here). Usually that's the decision people have to make, because both TN and IPS can improve the experience in different ways. From what I've heard it sounds like the ROG Swift will be using a very high-grade TN panel so the colors should be fine, but it's hard to say without personal experience with it.