Creating a singleboard Thin Client for 1440p 144hz gaming

Go to solution Solved by cautiouslyoptimistic,

if the sbc supports outputting 1440p144hz over HDMI (most of them only have HDMI native output) and the monitor can run at 1440p144hz over HDMI, then sure, it should work (if the streaming solution from the VM pc can send out 144fps. i used nvidia gfe to moonlight before and that was limited to 120fps).

anyways, you are doing a local network stream, so 144fps is not going to be distinguishable from 120fps (i play an esport title and can feel the difference between 120 and 144, but would not feel the difference with the latency of network solutions).

another thing, you need hdmi 2.0 or better on both the sbc and monitor for 1440p144hz@8bits. which is a bit of stretch. some video driver have limited the hdmi 2.0 bandwdith from 600mhz to 594mhz, corresponding to what the cable is certified at, resulting in a maximum refresh rate, under CVT-RB1 timings, of 141.714hz. 

if you have no idea what that meant, stick to 120hz would be good, and you would still need hdmi2.0 on sbc and monitor.

good luck! with these type of projects i can't really give you a yes no answer.

Budget (including currency):  250Eur

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:
As the title suggests, I've been looking for singleboard solutions for thin clients to run my gaming pc from an ethernet up to the monitors 1440p 144hz limits

Other details:
I've taken inspiration from the following two videos

I presume this can be done, as there are singleboards that support these resolution HDMI outputs, or are there some limitations I am not aware of?
I would be very happy to hear if there is a singleboard user that has attempted this and them to share their results.

I've searched all of the internet regarding this, but never got the answer - "can a singleboard pc act as a thin client outputting 1440p 144hz signal?" All of the results are only technical specifications and 1080p 120hz, 1440p 60hz and 4k 60hz variations. pls halp ._.

The limiting factor is not the thin client. Most semi modern devices can push that if they don't have to do any GPU work. The problem is the amount of bandwidth that it takes to support that level of fidelity. Most programs that let you remote into a computer in some fashion assume limited bandwidth for the sake of maximum compatibility. RDP for example only supported 1600x1200 at 30fps until recently with version 6, now it will do 4k but still limits you to 30fps by default and even changing some setting that is berried you can only get 60fps.  I'm not sure what steam remote play supports now but moonlight is probably your best bet which will get 120fps.

Remember that all of this assumes you have the network connection to handle it. Both your server and thin client should have hardwired connections that are at least gig and be on the same network. If you plan to use it wirelessly or over the internet while on the go, then you are going to have to give up some frame rate and resolution.

if the sbc supports outputting 1440p144hz over HDMI (most of them only have HDMI native output) and the monitor can run at 1440p144hz over HDMI, then sure, it should work (if the streaming solution from the VM pc can send out 144fps. i used nvidia gfe to moonlight before and that was limited to 120fps).

anyways, you are doing a local network stream, so 144fps is not going to be distinguishable from 120fps (i play an esport title and can feel the difference between 120 and 144, but would not feel the difference with the latency of network solutions).

another thing, you need hdmi 2.0 or better on both the sbc and monitor for 1440p144hz@8bits. which is a bit of stretch. some video driver have limited the hdmi 2.0 bandwdith from 600mhz to 594mhz, corresponding to what the cable is certified at, resulting in a maximum refresh rate, under CVT-RB1 timings, of 141.714hz. 

if you have no idea what that meant, stick to 120hz would be good, and you would still need hdmi2.0 on sbc and monitor.

52 minutes ago, cautiouslyoptimistic said:

Thank you so much, this was exactly what i was looking for!
I can compromise the 14 fps loss as long as i can use the most of the hertz on the monitor.

P.S. Thank you @CWALD , I'll keep in mind the gigabit requirement for the networking!