Help with new build and Ram/Mobo problems

StillUndecided
Go to solution Solved by StillUndecided,

Update everyone, after some more tests i tried lowering my ram frequency from 5600 to 5400 in the bios settings and this seems to have fixed the problem, I don't know how or why but for now it's a good enough fix for me. Thanks again for the help.

Hi everyone, first time poster and builder here in need of some serious help if anyone is willing to give me a hand.

I have just built my first pc by following various internet guides (mainly that big 1h long linus video) and am having some boot problems with what i assume is either a Ram or motherboard issue.

The pc has an asus motherboard and 2 stick of ram (details at the bottom)

This is basically what happens:

@ On my first out of case startups my pc was not posting, it would turn on but there was no video and no peripherals, i discovered that by using only one stick of Ram the pc would successfully turn on. Following a suggestion on another post i turned on d.o.c.p. from the bios and this allowed me to use both rams.

@ I went back to only 1 stick, disabled d.o.c.p. and updated the mobo bios and installed windows 11/updated my drivers, i turned d.o.c.p. back on but this still resulted in some problems when using both sticks, if i plugged too many peripherals they would stop working and the pc would sometimes turn off and/or not post. With 1 stick everything worked 

@ I have now just finished trying various things to try and understand if what was broken was one of my ram sticks, and the results were pretty darn strange. The pc posts only if i follow the mobo suggested slots to the letter, using any other ram port other than the suggested (a2 if 1 stick and a2/b2 if 2) results in no post, both rams work if put in a2 and the pc posts.

While doing these tests windows stopped booting and i am now met with error 0xc0000034 everytime the pc posts successfully and i don't enter the bios.

I am stumped in what to do next, I still don't understand if it is a ram or mobo issue and I am hoping with everything I got it is not a cpu problem, i don't even understand why windows won't work anymore.

If anyone is willing to help me I would be most grateful, thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Pc components

Amd ryzen 5 7600 + stock cooler

Asus prime b659m-a wifi (sadly no buzzer or error led)

Corsair ram 2×16gb ddr5 5600mhz cl36

Rtx 3070

Reseat your CPU, could be a contact issue.

Could also be a ram compatibility issue, is your ram on the QVL List for compatible ram for that board?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

28 minutes ago, StillUndecided said:

Hi everyone, first time poster and builder here in need of some serious help if anyone is willing to give me a hand.

I have just built my first pc by following various internet guides (mainly that big 1h long linus video) and am having some boot problems with what i assume is either a Ram or motherboard issue.

The pc has an asus motherboard and 2 stick of ram (details at the bottom)

This is basically what happens:

@ On my first out of case startups my pc was not posting, it would turn on but there was no video and no peripherals, i discovered that by using only one stick of Ram the pc would successfully turn on. Following a suggestion on another post i turned on d.o.c.p. from the bios and this allowed me to use both rams.

@ I went back to only 1 stick, disabled d.o.c.p. and updated the mobo bios and installed windows 11/updated my drivers, i turned d.o.c.p. back on but this still resulted in some problems when using both sticks, if i plugged too many peripherals they would stop working and the pc would sometimes turn off and/or not post. With 1 stick everything worked 

@ I have now just finished trying various things to try and understand if what was broken was one of my ram sticks, and the results were pretty darn strange. The pc posts only if i follow the mobo suggested slots to the letter, using any other ram port other than the suggested (a2 if 1 stick and a2/b2 if 2) results in no post, both rams work if put in a2 and the pc posts.

While doing these tests windows stopped booting and i am now met with error 0xc0000034 everytime the pc posts successfully and i don't enter the bios.

I am stumped in what to do next, I still don't understand if it is a ram or mobo issue and I am hoping with everything I got it is not a cpu problem, i don't even understand why windows won't work anymore.

If anyone is willing to help me I would be most grateful, thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Pc components

Amd ryzen 5 7600 + stock cooler

Asus prime b659m-a wifi (sadly no buzzer or error led)

Corsair ram 2×16gb ddr5 5600mhz cl36

Rtx 3070

I don't see what power supply you are using.  Reason is you may need 800 watt or higher with that rig, and you could be just running out of juice if you have like a 600 watt.

Next you may need to clear CMOS, and if you don't have the manual that tells you how to do that:

https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/prime/prime-b650m-a-wifi/helpdesk_manual/?model2Name=PRIME-B650M-A-WIFI

Also have you checked what bios you are on?  Just I know there were some real issues with early BIOS revisions and running dual or quad channel DD5.

6 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Reseat your CPU, could be a contact issue.

Could also be a ram compatibility issue, is your ram on the QVL List for compatible ram for that board?

Hi, sorry for the late answer we might have some timezone differences.

First of all yes the ram is in the mobo qvl according to asus web page, secondly as soon as I get off work I'll try to reseat the cpu, thanks for your answer and sorry for the delay again. I'll update as soon as I can.

6 hours ago, DarkWaterSong said:

I don't see what power supply you are using.  Reason is you may need 800 watt or higher with that rig, and you could be just running out of juice if you have like a 600 watt.

Next you may need to clear CMOS, and if you don't have the manual that tells you how to do that:

https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/prime/prime-b650m-a-wifi/helpdesk_manual/?model2Name=PRIME-B650M-A-WIFI

Also have you checked what bios you are on?  Just I know there were some real issues with early BIOS revisions and running dual or quad channel DD5.

Hi, sorry for the late answer. 

Yeah I knew i forgot to put something in the parts list, my bad, the psu is an MSI A750 GF with 750 watts, i choose it after testing my components on some wattage testing sites and they said it would be sufficient. As for bios I'm on the latest version for that motherboard.

As soon as I get off work I'll try clearing the Cmos and maybe disconnect some fans and the gpu and see if it helps with the power. Thanks for the help, I'll update as soon as I can.

Update everyone, after some more tests i tried lowering my ram frequency from 5600 to 5400 in the bios settings and this seems to have fixed the problem, I don't know how or why but for now it's a good enough fix for me. Thanks again for the help.

1 hour ago, StillUndecided said:

I had a similar problem with my ASUS TUF B450 Gaming board. Some sources say it supports 3600MHz memory, but I couldn't get anything over 3200MHz from the D.O.C.P. (XMP) profile to run stable. Hey at least 5400MHz is plenty fast - you won't miss than 200MHz 😄 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-PLUS-GAMING CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix EVA Edition 12GB OC Cooling: 3x Noctua NF-A14, 1x Corsair ML140 RGB Elite, 360mm EKWB EK-AIO RGB all-in-one cooler Monitors: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ (portrait 2560x1440) & ASUS ROG Strix XG349C (ultrawide 3440x1440) Peripherals: Logitech G915, G502, G733 OS: Windows 11 64-bit