Few issues with new MB Z790-E Gaming Wifi

Hello to all that are willing to check out this "fun" topic and thank you for your time.

Now let's go down the rabbit hole with me 🙂

I previously asked for few suggestions on purchasing a new machine (build) and got really nice feedback from the people here for which I am very thankful, but after I did the purchase of:

- Motherboard Asus Rog Strix Z790-E Gaming Wifi;

- PSU Seasonic 1600W Platinum;

KF560C36BBEK2-64GB (Fury Kingston) 2x 32 GB Kit 6000 Mhz - CL36-38-38 "1.35V EXPO/XMP" as it says on the packing;

- i9-13900KF;

Noctua - NH-D15 Chromax (black);

All that in "Fractal Design - Torrent TG Light, Mid Tower" + MSI 2080 Video (from my previous rig), after all was assembled I did the following:

1. Reinstalled Windows OC to the newest 10 version;

2. Updated Windows;

3. Updated BiOS from 703 up to 904 which is the latest available on the site of the MB > https://rog.asus.com/uk/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z790-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios/ .

Now you will say "well no issues thus far, so what's up?", basically two things:

1. I have hooked up my front and bottom fans to the Fan hub of the case and the fan hub is connected to the CHA_FAN2, but unfortunately when I go into the Bios it does not show ANY other fans except the CPU ones (as you can see on the screenshot further below).

The CHA fan's from 1 to 5 are showing "N/A" as nothing is on them. I tweaked the profile of CHA_FAN2 and it does work (slows down or increases the Fan usage) but simply cannot be properly controlled. Every time my GPU goes at its normal temps such as 65-70 all of the fans starts blowing up, while the CPU is at 40-46 which should stay at the low profile of the fans.

I know people will say "well that's normal so that it can cool off", but what's not normal is that it never happened with my previous setup as now the fans go hyper loud like they are using 80%+ and I didn't change anything of the Fans.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can resolve this even if its by purchasing something extra will be great.

2. Now the second issue is that the RAM Kit that I purchased, for some reason is not listed in the QVL (https://rog.asus.com/uk/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z790-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/) of the Motherboard, now some will say "well so what?". Well because of that the RAM I have purchased unfortunately does not work at 100% as it should. As you can see on the screenshot below, it says DDR5 4000 Mhz then each of the slots that the Ram is placed and says "4800 MHZ".

Now the kicker is that I tried to Enable the "X.M.P." (as shown on the screenshot) but it did not work, it didn't wanna start. I checked with the Asus support forum and they say "try using XMP ll" I did that and then "well try to manually adjust some random voltage settings" which I tried with small values such as:

DRAM VDD ~ 1.41 | DRAM VDDQ ~ 1.41 and few others but nothing worked, one time the PC didn't even wanna show UI it simply stayed working on a black screen for more than 70 minutes so I had to hard shutdown it and reset my bios.

image.thumb.jpeg.2292243a0edaa0d58e108e5ce87c6b67.jpeg

Some people might say that there is an issue with the Ram (such as broken) well because of that I tried to perform a mem test which wasted almost 10 hours of my life:

image.thumb.jpeg.6ee11207d63524d53324934ad9a46b90.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.02835c1063b8f396b1f1968cc4e704d3.jpeg

The kicker is that now when I play games like "WoW" the game Crash's with "memory" issues error which isn't nice at all. If anyone has a suggestions on how to resolve the issues I will be once again very thankful for the help.

Edited by ZFPuhiOwns
Adding tags + link to QVL

If you have a memory dump file from a crash, post it here. Also, go to event viewer -> windows logs -> system and filter for errors and critical. Take a screenie and post here.

As for the RAM issue, return and replace with a kit in the QVL list. There isn’t much else to do if it doesn’t want to work correctly.

It just happened again, not sure what caused it (blue screen memory mentioned)

Went to the event logger as you suggested but its in Binary data 😄

image.thumb.png.c7e56334f607e051c25d93eea61f05ed.png

I called the vendor he is okay to get the RAM back, as for the Fans any suggestions?

3 hours ago, ZFPuhiOwns said:

I called the vendor he is okay to get the RAM back, as for the Fans any suggestions?

I am not sure if the fan hub that came with the case allows for BIOS to properly control it.  Like I have an old Corsair Commander hub in mine so software can control my fans, but BIOS does not see them.  I actually think there was a review where  Gamers Nexus ripped on the included fan hub on a Fractal Design case being hot garbage.

For testing, try and plug the fans into the motherboard directly even if you need to use extension cables to do it.

On 6/7/2023 at 8:25 AM, ZFPuhiOwns said:

It just happened again, not sure what caused it (blue screen memory mentioned)

Went to the event logger as you suggested but its in Binary data 😄

image.thumb.png.c7e56334f607e051c25d93eea61f05ed.png

Filter for errors and critical only. Post the details of that bug check.

5 hours ago, ZFPuhiOwns said:

Did you review / follow Fractal's user manual?

For the hub to control the fans connected to it properly, you NEED to have one fan connect to the 'FAN1' header.

The fan connected to 'FAN1' is the one reporting the RPM speed between the Hub and Motherboard.

image.png.982b0b2f7b19bc45305569312041f59b.png

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>