I want to transfer the data from the programs in my old to a new one and the capacity of the SSDs are different. How do I do it?

Newblesse Obblige

It might be easy only if the drive are at the same capacity. My old boot drive at 500GB while the new one is at 250GB. Because of that,I just want to get the important program data(if that makes sense) from my old boot drive to the new boot drive because I don't need all of the programs in the old boot drive. Is there any way to do it?

Technically what you could do is shrink the partition of your current drive to under 250G, then clone it with something like Clonezilla. That would copy everything though, and leave you with an exact copy of your current system, just with the new SSD.

If you want to copy just the app data itself, sometimes you can copy some files over, but for the most part no, you cannot. 

18 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Technically what you could do is shrink the partition of your current drive to under 250G, then clone it with something like Clonezilla. That would copy everything though, and leave you with an exact copy of your current system, just with the new SSD.

If you want to copy just the app data itself, sometimes you can copy some files over, but for the most part no, you cannot. 

The main partition of the old drive is already near half of its capacity so if I transferred all of it, it will be around 90% capacity of the 250GB which not advisable to do, right? Do you think itnis better to uninstall what I don't need first before cloning? I wouldn't want cloning because I wanted a fresh Windows install but if I can't have both clean Windows 10 and my old data, I'll just do the cloning.

Edit:

Also, the new drive is a M.2 SSD and it is already installed in the PC so I can't clone the old boot to the new drive. I don't have a M.2 to USB adapter, only a SATA to USB adapter