Should I buy the Fractal Pop Air

Galaxy2007

I recently purchased a used rx 5700 xt to replace the rx 580 I bought 3 years ago, but this new card is a triple fan one that isn't going to fit in my current case (antec 300). The fractal pop air still has optical drive bays while being under $100, but I've heard some complaints about the airflow. Alternatively I could modify the Antec 300 by cutting out a piece of its hard drive bay (not intended to be removable and is riveted in) and the card would fit.

If the drive bay is connect by rivets simply use a small drill and pop out the rivets once the head is loose.

if that is not an option the pop air is an ok case. Air flow is often solved by using good fans.

For example if it accepts 140mm do not use 120mm. slower speed same airflow slightly higher speed more airflow and still relatively quiet.

The market is full of excellent quality fans now but choose function over shiny lights and led rings etc.

Anyways the case you have and five minutes with a drill and the problem is solved. Only downside is dismantling of the PC but buying a new case you would still have to do that.

17 minutes ago, random person from ohio said:

I recently purchased a used rx 5700 xt to replace the rx 580 I bought 3 years ago, but this new card is a triple fan one that isn't going to fit in my current case (antec 300). The fractal pop air still has optical drive bays while being under $100, but I've heard some complaints about the airflow. Alternatively I could modify the Antec 300 by cutting out a piece of its hard drive bay (not intended to be removable and is riveted in) and the card would fit.

The Pop Air is fine, it's got 2 120mm front fans and 1 120mm rear fan included. Those are Aspect 12 RGB fans, they go up to 1200rpm and stay relatively quiet. By using an optical drive in the bottom, you will limit room for power supply cables though.

Isn't it a solution to get a decent airflow case and get an external optical drive? Most people rarely use it, but if you do use it often, integrated in the case is still better.

5 minutes ago, random person from ohio said:

but I've heard some complaints about the airflow

It is a bit bad for the GPU but not so bad to warrant an avoid. Id say the same with @Naijin, i might do the same at some point.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

7 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

It is a bit bad for the GPU but not so bad to warrant an avoid. Id say the same with @Naijin, i might do the same at some point.

It’s actually not that bad for GPU airflow. I’m on mobile so it’ll be difficult for me to look back through uploaded pictures, but I know I’ve got a screen cap of hwinfo and my 4090 under full load at about 380W not going above 80c. That is in the XL, but that was before the water block showed up so that was air going through the rad cooling a 13900k first. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

40 minutes ago, random person from ohio said:

but I've heard some complaints about the airflow.

Solid cases with a full mesh front. I can assure you its fine.