All of a sudden my computer (monitor doesn't detect signal) won't turn on?!

Ningeal

Edit as of 06/02/14,

After following the advice and looking into my manual for Dr. Debugger codes I found out that it was memory related, so the trial and error began.

When A1B1 A2B2 were populated I got the error code 0x2E.

When A1B1 were populated (by the first of two 8GB kits) I got the error 0x45.

When A2B2 were populated (by the second of two 8GB kits) I could boot, so I put the second kit in A1B1 and it still booted. 

Turns out that one (or two?) of my memory sticks were apparently fried for no reason, 'cause I always ran them at their recommended voltages / profiles.

I can now again boot and get into my OS.

I want to thank everybody that tried to help me for their advices and insights. <3 Words cannot describe how happy I am that my baby is up and running again.

Edit as of 05/22/14,

Steps I have taken so far:

1) I unplugged all PSU cables and plugged them back in tightly, still no signal on my monitor (can turn on my monitor, receive greeting msg then 'no signal detected')

2) Removed GPU and memory, received a *beep* from my motherboard, still no signal on my monitor (can turn on my monitor, receive greeting msg then 'no signal detected')

3) Switched my DVI cable for a HDMI cable, still no signal on my monitor (can turn on my monitor, receive greeting msg then 'no signal detected')

4) Plugged in my monitor via my motherboard's DVI port, still no signal on my monitor (can turn on my monitor, receive greeting msg then 'no signal detected')

Now I wonder, is it my PSU, GPU or CPU?

Greetings,

so I have been using my computer for about two years now on a daily basis and never had any issues with it, though I haven't turned it on the past two weeks because I was busy with studies and only used my laptop.

When I tried to turn it on today, my monitor would remain black. My machine lights up, starts working but not my monitor. After some time my monitor displays a message, that no signal was found.

When I built a computer for a buddy of mine last week I had the same problem and found out later, that I forgot to plug in the 8-pin connector so that is what I checked first in my case, but  it was tightly connected.

So I checked whether any connectors had loosen up over time but that was not the case, everything is plugged in.

Specs:

Intel i7 2600k

AsRock Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3

MSI GTX 680 Lightning

16GB DDR3 1600MHz

Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Seagate 7200 RPM 2TB HDD

BenQ XL2420T

Windows 8

i get that on one of mine thats connected with display port, but thats probably because the cable broke as i was plugging it in for the first time.. shittiest quality EVER

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Do you think it can break from one day to the other without anything happening to it? I mean it's been plugged in for two years now and has been serving me well up until now. Or did I miss your

point?

I tried the following:

- checked for loose cables

- Unplugging all the cables and plugging them back in

- Turning off power from the PSU for a while and turning it back on

- cleared CMOS with it's built-in button

Nothing has worked / helped.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated the first post with steps I have taken.

try getting a new cable, of fails try new moniter, if fails try new gpu

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

try getting a new cable, of fails try new moniter, if fails try new gpu

I tried the other DVI port on GPU, tried the DVI port on my motherboard both with the same cable. Then I switched from DVI to HDMI and it still didn't work.

How is my monitor supposed to be broken, when I can turn it on / off and receive a message that says there's no signal?

But why does it not display anything then, when I connect it to the motherboard? What would identify a fried CPU?

I tried the other DVI port on GPU, tried the DVI port on my motherboard both with the same cable. Then I switched from DVI to HDMI and it still didn't work.

How is my monitor supposed to be broken, when I can turn it on / off and receive a message that says there's no signal?

But why does it not display anything then, when I connect it to the motherboard? What would identify a fried CPU?

do you have a error code thing like this? 126244.gif

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Yes, I do. What is it supposed to say?

the Intel i7 2600k Is an APU it my be favoring the onboard GFX over the GFX card. try using the onboard GFX and se if that fixes the problem. if theat is the solution, after you get things working again disable the onboard gfx in the bios and it should keep it from hapening again. edit- also try using the vga port on the board somtimes legacy devices woork better when a driver issue ocures.

I will do the best I can to help in any way. However I am not all knowing and realize that I can be wrong. If you know something I said is not factual please speak up and provide myself and otters reading reading the thread with the facts proving it. I'm not just here to help others learn I'm also here to learn myself. "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin    

the Intel i7 2600k Is an APU it my be favoring the onboard GFX over the GFX card. try using the onboard GFX and se if that fixes the problem. if theat is the solution, after you get things working again disable the onboard gfx in the bios and it should keep it from hapening again. edit- also try using the vga port on the board somtimes legacy devices woork better when a driver issue ocures.

I tried using the on board GPU (from my 2600k that is) but I still don't get signal to my monitor. I also had this computer working fine for almost two years now, so I doubt that all of a sudden the preference is switched over to the on board GPU.

I tried using the on board GPU (from my 2600k that is) but I still don't get signal to my monitor. I also had this computer working fine for almost two years now, so I doubt that all of a sudden the preference is switched over to the on board GPU.

i dbout that this is it but have you checked the input select on the monitor. this is one of those anoying isues that are a pain in the a** but usualy fixed by somthing simple. there is also the posability that it is a driver isue. ive had a problem like this before and the only way i mange to solve it was to remove all but one gfx card and some how i got it to work. i thing maby i reset the bios. but after getting it to work i had to reinstall all of my drivers. at the time i had a 560ti and a 650ti. and the 500 serise have been know to have driver isues. i dont know about the 600 serise though. hope this helps.

I will do the best I can to help in any way. However I am not all knowing and realize that I can be wrong. If you know something I said is not factual please speak up and provide myself and otters reading reading the thread with the facts proving it. I'm not just here to help others learn I'm also here to learn myself. "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin    

look at page 51 in your mobo manual. there are several difrent error codes listed starting at 0x50 se if any of those errors are coming up.

Alright, will give it a look soon and update you guys. Also do you have a link to some resources I can read on updating my BIOS via USB or something? Have no clue how I would update it without seeing anything.

Found a posible solution here http://en.kioskea.net/faq/10370-cpu-starts-but-monitor-displays-no-signal its probably a long shot but atleast its a shot.

yea not being able to see to fix the problem is the real catch 22 and what make such a simple problem a pain in the a**.

Found a posible solution here http://en.kioskea.net/faq/10370-cpu-starts-but-monitor-displays-no-signal its probably a long shot but atleast its a shot.

That's what I found a week ago too. Did that but didn't help. I cleared CMOS via my ClearCMOS button and by removing the battery for a few minutes. Didn't help, unfortunately. I will check my manual tomorrow and update with further information.

Alright, will give it a look soon and update you guys. Also do you have a link to some resources I can read on updating my BIOS via USB or something? Have no clue how I would update it without seeing anything.

I personaly dont have any experince navagating asrock bios screens but it should have a place for you to acess a flash utility. most modern boards have a relatvly easy way to do it. this is especialy true on high end mobo's. i know asus has there EZflash utility and i asume asrock has somthing similar. when it is time to flash the bios have the latest bios downloaded and unziped on a flashdrive. put the flash drive in on of your usb 2.0 ports and acess it from the flash utlity. CAUTION when flashing the bios DON NOT TOUCH IT let the computer do its thing. this board does have a removable bios chip but it is still a pain to have to get a new one.

That's what I found a week ago too. Did that but didn't help. I cleared CMOS via my ClearCMOS button and by removing the battery for a few minutes. Didn't help, unfortunately. I will check my manual tomorrow and update with further information.

some isues like this are hard to fix without spending 4 hours crawling under the desk and fiddling with it. side note i would recomend moving it to the top of your desk for easyer acess if it isnt alredy there it will save you some back pain. Have you tried using a difrent pci-e slot maby that will work.

• 2 weeks later...