Not a motherboard expert...

Go to solution Solved by Agall,
30 minutes ago, UnleashedPride said:

Hey all, I am going to be upgrading soon to an i9-13900k CPU. 

Currently, I am looking between these two mobos:

Gigabyte: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE

Asus: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING

I'm no expert when it comes to motherboards, and I built in what seems like a simpler time in 2018 when motherboard pricing wasn't so outrageous to cost as much as the CPU. Is there something with the power draw, efficiency, other specs that would justify the drastic price difference between these two? Or are they comparable enough that the Gigabyte board should be the easy choice off price alone?

I've recently been more of a fan of Gigabyte since their header design/positioning, price, and feature set has just been overall better value than Asus. Asus started going down hill around Intel 6th gen after riding the high of their ROG series and the Strix lineup has never really impressed me.

Its become more obvious these last couple generations there's a price premium behind the ROG name/branding and its really what they're selling with the Strix lineup. Recent problems with Asus are just the continuation of the last few years of issues they've had.

That Asus board is more like a $300 at best motherboard.

I'm no expert when it comes to motherboards, and I built in what seems like a simpler time in 2018 when motherboard pricing wasn't so outrageous to cost as much as the CPU. Is there something with the power draw, efficiency, other specs that would justify the drastic price difference between these two? Or are they comparable enough that the Gigabyte board should be the easy choice off price alone?

1 minute ago, UnleashedPride said:

Both of these mobos are pretty good. Go with whichever's cheaper since ASUS adds a lot of unnecessary stuff on some ROG mobos that raise the price by a bit or a lot

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

30 minutes ago, UnleashedPride said:

I've recently been more of a fan of Gigabyte since their header design/positioning, price, and feature set has just been overall better value than Asus. Asus started going down hill around Intel 6th gen after riding the high of their ROG series and the Strix lineup has never really impressed me.

Its become more obvious these last couple generations there's a price premium behind the ROG name/branding and its really what they're selling with the Strix lineup. Recent problems with Asus are just the continuation of the last few years of issues they've had.

That Asus board is more like a $300 at best motherboard.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

53 minutes ago, UnleashedPride said:

honestly motherboards atleast now days are all pretty simlar unless they are low end boards. some offer higher memory speeds/ different audio chips/ bios's and maybe better overclocks depending if the board has extra connectors for power and what not. but overall they are very simlar. i've gone through my fair share of motherboards  and most seem very close or the same 

3 hours ago, Clearviper said:

honestly motherboards atleast now days are all pretty simlar unless they are low end boards. some offer higher memory speeds/ different audio chips/ bios's and maybe better overclocks depending if the board has extra connectors for power and what not. but overall they are very simlar. i've gone through my fair share of motherboards  and most seem very close or the same 

It depends on your requirements. The major differences across the board are fan headers and rear I/O, both of which can be expanded, but having those natively optimal is simply better. Asus simply gatekeeps the best features behind their highest end boards, and expects consumers in the low-mid tier to compromise on major features to get their branding.

My favor of Asus boards started way back on the LGA 2011 X79 chipset because they did interesting stuff, like make micro atx HEDT boards with no compromises. Asus really hadn't done anything interesting past their z97 motherboards except their dimm.2 or sodimm.2 feature (which is great, mind you) but gatekeep that behind their highest end boards no one really needs.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017