FrameTime issues on new PC

Go to solution Solved by filpo,
1 minute ago, Aayush_Plays said:

Yes my bios is the latest bios (which was kinda needed to run the cpu on my motherboard) and I have checked nvidia geforce for updates and it says that the drivers are up-to-date.

I have also used driver utility tool like driveEz to update all the drivers, after manually picking drivers from ASUS (my mobo) website and installing them 

try capping your framerate to 60 using RTSS

Hi,

I have recently moved from gaming on consoles to building my own pc and gaming on it, However I see that for some games my frametime is stuttery ( checked frame time because the game didn't feel smooth at all) even though my fps is pretty good

I have seen massive dips in star wars fallen order where my fps is sometimes 140, sometimes 80 and then it drops massively and comes back which causes stutters.

Last of us remake is better, running on max settings 1440p, 80-120fps the frametime does not dip but is 8ms in some areas, 16 in some and I can see minor peaks and valleys on the framtime graphs but I can feel the game stuttering on 144 hz monitor.

My pc specs:

CPU: Intel 13700KF (AIO cooler 280 mm- temp never exceeds 88 degrees on Cinebench r23)

Video Card: RTX 4070 12 gb ( Temp stays around 65-68 on load, tested using 3d mark and heaven)

Ram: 32 gb

I have used MSI afterburner and checked my cpu temps, gpu temps, usage and nothing goes above 68 degrees.

So my question is do you guys face issues like this ? If yes do you CAP your Framerate using RTSS ? Is it normal to cap fps while playing games on PC ? Do you guys suggest I should lower my overall settings even when I can see the fps go as high as 160 in some of the games and stay well above 80 overall ?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and helping out ! appreciate the help

You might have some micro stutter. Lots of causes. In almost all cases it’s software related.

One thing you can try is turning on g/freesync (adaptive sync) and dlss 3.0 to see if that smooths out the frame rate.

54 minutes ago, Aayush_Plays said:

Hi,

I have recently moved from gaming on consoles to building my own pc and gaming on it, However I see that for some games my frametime is stuttery ( checked frame time because the game didn't feel smooth at all) even though my fps is pretty good

I have seen massive dips in star wars fallen order where my fps is sometimes 140, sometimes 80 and then it drops massively and comes back which causes stutters.

Last of us remake is better, running on max settings 1440p, 80-120fps the frametime does not dip but is 8ms in some areas, 16 in some and I can see minor peaks and valleys on the framtime graphs but I can feel the game stuttering on 144 hz monitor.

My pc specs:

CPU: Intel 13700KF (AIO cooler 280 mm- temp never exceeds 88 degrees on Cinebench r23)

Video Card: RTX 4070 12 gb ( Temp stays around 65-68 on load, tested using 3d mark and heaven)

Ram: 32 gb

I have used MSI afterburner and checked my cpu temps, gpu temps, usage and nothing goes above 68 degrees.

So my question is do you guys face issues like this ? If yes do you CAP your Framerate using RTSS ? Is it normal to cap fps while playing games on PC ? Do you guys suggest I should lower my overall settings even when I can see the fps go as high as 160 in some of the games and stay well above 80 overall ?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and helping out ! appreciate the help

have you downloaded your GPU drivers? Have you done a bios update or downloaded your chipset drivers?

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 hour ago, filpo said:

have you downloaded your GPU drivers? Have you done a bios update or downloaded your chipset drivers?

Yes my bios is the latest bios (which was kinda needed to run the cpu on my motherboard) and I have checked nvidia geforce for updates and it says that the drivers are up-to-date.

I have also used driver utility tool like driveEz to update all the drivers, after manually picking drivers from ASUS (my mobo) website and installing them 

1 minute ago, Aayush_Plays said:

Current parts list

2 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

You might have some micro stutter. Lots of causes. In almost all cases it’s software related.

One thing you can try is turning on g/freesync (adaptive sync) and dlss 3.0 to see if that smooths out the frame rate.

gsync was on by default so didn't have to fiddle with that, do all games support dlss 3.0 ? I only see amd Fidelity someting on star wars which is set to quality. Will do more research on dlss 3.0 though. Thanks for the suggestion

2 minutes ago, filpo said:

sounds good. Since this is my first build and I am kind of paranoid, this is not related to hardware right ? Like do all PC gamers experience things like this ? 

2 minutes ago, Aayush_Plays said:

this is not related to hardware right ? Like do all PC gamers experience things like this ? 

Originally I experienced it and the stuttering may be. What mobo and psu do you have? And how much RAM? 

Follow some of the steps in this video to try and resolve it 

Current parts list

1 minute ago, filpo said:

Originally I experienced it and the stuttering may be. What mobo and psu do you have? And how much RAM? 

mobo: ASUS Z690 D4 

ram: 32 GB DDR4 running at 3600

psu: EVGA 850 w 80 plus gold SFX

Thanks for the vids, will try using RTSS and capping frame rate

43 minutes ago, filpo said:

mobo: ASUS Z690 D4 

ram: 32 GB DDR4 running at 3600

psu: EVGA 850 w 80 plus gold SFX

Thanks for the vids, will try using RTSS and capping frame rate