PC keeps BSODing

krapiak

my pc is bsodding almost daily, with a different error each time, however the most frequent recurring ones i have seen are “irql not less or equal” and “kernel security check failure”. what could the problem be?

Go into you Windows Event Viewer and check out the detailed information on critical errors that occur when you crash. This should help you narrow down the problem.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Full System Specs?

In general though, those BSOD's are usually in relation to bad overclocks of either CPU, Memory, or both.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

13 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Full System Specs?

In general though, those BSOD's are usually in relation to bad overclocks of either CPU, Memory, or both.

Ryzen 7 5800X

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 MHZ (2x8)

Asus ROG STRIX B550-A

WD Black SN770 1 TB

RTX 3060 Ti Founders

2 hours ago, krapiak said:

trying, but performance monitor gets stuck on "collecting data for 60 seconds"

Just manually grab the minidumps instead if you have any. Go to C:\Windows and copy the Minidump folder itself to the desktop (Or Downloads folder if you use OneDrive or get any other errors). Zip the copied folder and post it here.

If you copy just the files themselves you often just get shortcuts instead of the actual files. Zipping the folder while in C:\Windows is not allowed by the OS. 

If you have DOCP enabled in bios, disable it. If it’s a RAM instability issue that should solve it. It’s an easy check. 

3 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

Just manually grab the minidumps instead if you have any. Go to C:\Windows and copy the Minidump folder itself to the desktop (Or Downloads folder if you use OneDrive or get any other errors). Zip the copied folder and post it here.

If you copy just the files themselves you often just get shortcuts instead of the actual files. Zipping the folder while in C:\Windows is not allowed by the OS. 

Minidump.zip

3 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

If you have DOCP enabled in bios, disable it. If it’s a RAM instability issue that should solve it. It’s an easy check. 

why would docp be a problem? (not questioning, just curious)

37 minutes ago, krapiak said:

why would docp be a problem? (not questioning, just curious)

It increases the memory speed and for whatever reason the AMD implementation is not always stable at the XMP profile for the RAM. Turning it off makes the RAM run at baseline speed.

10 hours ago, krapiak said:

This looks like RAM. Run the machine with one stick at a time and see if only one of them cause a crash. Your DOCP speed should be fine as it's within the rated spec fo the CPU. 

15 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

It increases the memory speed and for whatever reason the AMD implementation is not always stable at the XMP profile for the RAM. Turning it off makes the RAM run at baseline speed.

should i change it to manual or auto?

5 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

This looks like RAM. Run the machine with one stick at a time and see if only one of them cause a crash. Your DOCP speed should be fine as it's within the rated spec fo the CPU. 

which slot should i use when i run them individually?

38 minutes ago, krapiak said:

which slot should i use when i run them individually?

Check the manual but it's usually the second slot when counting from the CPU socket. If it only has two slots, usually the closest. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 11:59 PM, Whatisthis said:

disabled docp on the 25th. it's bsodded about twice since then. definitely a lot less frequently than before, but i'd like to eliminate the risk entirely. i'll try running on one stick, and if that works out, can i reenable docp?

also, what typically causes these specific bsods (kernel security check failure, irql not less or equal)?

13 hours ago, krapiak said:

(kernel security check failure, irql not less or equal)?

Corruption and drivers.