NVMe M.2 SSD Not Detected by BIOS or Disk Manager

SubWulf

Hi, I'm currently running:

- Windows 10 64 bit

- Z270X Ultra Gaming as my motherboard

- Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 GB

And I'm currently trying to install an M.2, the Samsung 990 1TB M.2 SSD. As in the title, nothing on my PC is detecting the new drive. 

Stuff that I've Checked:

The motherboard only has one M.2 port, and NVMe is usable, I checked the owner's manual.

The M.2 slot won't be disabled by my current SATA SSD being plugged in

I have reinstalled the drive many times to see if it is seated properly, so I'm like 75% sure that can't be the issue. (I've done the 30 degree angle thing, made sure it's firmly seated in the M.2 slot and I've screwed it in well)

My drivers are updated, however I haven't updated my BIOS as I'm not sure that would be an issue, but they are currently running on version F2

I have looked at the NVMe configuration in BIOS, it says "no NVMe device found" or something like that

I have scanned through my BIOS but I can't find anything that can change the settings to help detect the M.2 drive

And yeah, that's it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a reason why you got a Gen 4 NVME drive for your board? Your board supports Gen 3 NVME drives only, sometimes Gen 4 drives have issues being detected due to that.

Youll need to get the Drivers for the NVME for the bios, its a complicated and painful process. You could also update the bios and see if that helps, but generally brand new NVME drives will have issues on old boards like that.

10 minutes ago, SubWulf said:

Hi, I'm currently running:

- Windows 10 64 bit

- Z270X Ultra Gaming as my motherboard

- Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 GB

And I'm currently trying to install an M.2, the Samsung 990 1TB M.2 SSD. As in the title, nothing on my PC is detecting the new drive. 

Stuff that I've Checked:

The motherboard only has one M.2 port, and NVMe is usable, I checked the owner's manual.

The M.2 slot won't be disabled by my current SATA SSD being plugged in

I have reinstalled the drive many times to see if it is seated properly, so I'm like 75% sure that can't be the issue. (I've done the 30 degree angle thing, made sure it's firmly seated in the M.2 slot and I've screwed it in well)

My drivers are updated, however I haven't updated my BIOS as I'm not sure that would be an issue, but they are currently running on version F2

I have looked at the NVMe configuration in BIOS, it says "no NVMe device found" or something like that

I have scanned through my BIOS but I can't find anything that can change the settings to help detect the M.2 drive

And yeah, that's it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

check that your bios is set to AHCI or PCIE.. if you find any m.2 settings. 

I think there is a setting that can select ssd or pcie for m.2 .. used to have a z270 board. 

Just now, Robchil said:

check that your bios is set to AHCI or PCIE.. if you find any m.2 settings. 

I did check this, it sadly isn't an option on the BIOS

Just now, SubWulf said:

I did check this, it sadly isn't an option on the BIOS

under integrated stuff.. 

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Is there a reason why you got a Gen 4 NVME drive for your board? Your board supports Gen 3 NVME drives only, sometimes Gen 4 drives have issues being detected due to that.

Youll need to get the Drivers for the NVME for the bios, its a complicated and painful process. You could also update the bios and see if that helps, but generally brand new NVME drives will have issues on old boards like that.

Is this an issue where I am flat out unable to use the gen 4 NVME drive, or is it a possibility just hard to do kind of thing? Also, what do you mean by getting drivers for the NVME for the bios? I'll look into it as I didn't know that was a thing

2 minutes ago, Robchil said:

under integrated stuff.. 

I'll try this real quick then

Yeah, that isn't an option anywhere on the bios menu. I may just have to update my bios then, as it is quite a limited menu from what I can tell looking at how other bios screens look. I just have no idea how to update my bios and I can't find a clear way to do it online

I would update to latest stable bios version the board as said above only support gen3 speed but can handle crucial gen4 disk though in gen3 compatible mode only with right firmware so either to old bios or worst case scenario the board dont like your  m2 drive.

I do see however that it is currently set to UEFI in system information, if that helps

8 minutes ago, SubWulf said:

I do see however that it is currently set to UEFI in system information, if that helps

So its in the disk manager in windows you dont see the drive?

Ok yeah, it won't even let me update my BIOS. I have a flash drive with the update plugged in and the BIOS doesn't even recognize it in the QFlash update page. I guess I'll just have to return it and put in a generation 3 m.2 drive

44 minutes ago, SubWulf said:

Ok yeah, it won't even let me update my BIOS. I have a flash drive with the update plugged in and the BIOS doesn't even recognize it in the QFlash update page. I guess I'll just have to return it and put in a generation 3 m.2 drive

nvme should be backwards compatible tho to gen3 controller.. it just won't run gen4 speeds.. 

for your bios.. be sure you have it on a fat32 formated USB. and name is not longer than 7 characters in first part of file name and 3 characters in last. like 1234567.xxx  some bios'es don't read longer filenames. 

20 hours ago, Robchil said:

nvme should be backwards compatible tho to gen3 controller.. it just won't run gen4 speeds.. 

for your bios.. be sure you have it on a fat32 formated USB. and name is not longer than 7 characters in first part of file name and 3 characters in last. like 1234567.xxx  some bios'es don't read longer filenames. 

Oh ok, yeah my USB isn't fat32 formatted so I'll have to find another with that. And yes, I now have a gen3 m.2 SSD and it still doesn't register anywhere, so it definitely isn't a generation problem. Thanks for your help so far, by the way.

Format the usb stick in windows by right clicking on it, properties, format. You can choose the type there, select fat32.

So, I installed the new BIOS and... nothing changed. NVMe configuration still doesn't show anything and it can't detect the M.2 SSD. I'll link photos of the 3 most important BIOS menus there are, as all the other ones aren't at all related to SSD's or the BIOS. As you can see it's already set on AHCl mode

Periph menu.jpg

BIOS menu.jpg

SATA mode.jpg

Oh, and here's what disk management looks like atm.

image.png

26 minutes ago, SubWulf said:

So, I installed the new BIOS and... nothing changed. NVMe configuration still doesn't show anything and it can't detect the M.2 SSD. I'll link photos of the 3 most important BIOS menus there are, as all the other ones aren't at all related to SSD's or the BIOS. As you can see it's already set on AHCl mode

Periph menu.jpg

2 lines above sata... what does it say inside the NVMe Configuration? 

and what does it look like in the chipset tab.. as that can also have a setup for m.2 pcie

47 minutes ago, Robchil said:

2 lines above sata... what does it say inside the NVMe Configuration? 

and what does it look like in the chipset tab.. as that can also have a setup for m.2 pcie

The NVMe configuration says it cannot detect an NVMe device. I'll check the chipset tab real quick.

Here ya go. All the tabs are just disable or enable.

Chipset.jpg

33 minutes ago, SubWulf said:

Here ya go. All the tabs are just disable or enable.

post what system and peripherals tabs contains too. 

3 hours ago, Robchil said:

post what system and peripherals tabs contains too. 

The peripherals tab I have posted above, and here's the system tab:

System.jpg

What happens when you turn other pci devices from uefi to legacy in bios tab?

10 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

I'll try that real quick

13 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

So far nothing has happened... I checked disk manager and nothing is popping up.