Sager NP8258 vs ASUS G750JS-DS71

Go to solution Solved by jrfox87,

I would go with the Asus. I've owned a sager and there is a reason they are priced so low for the specs they deliver, they sacrifice build quality. I had the plastic beginning to crack in different areas after just a lil over a year of owning it and I was by no means rough on it. From day one it didn't feel that solid to me and the chassis was creaky.

Depends what specs you are comparing. There are multiple specs of the laptops. But I would prefer the Asus.

Quote me to get a reply!

Depends what specs you are comparing. There are multiple specs of the laptops. But I would prefer the Asus.

^^ This.

BTW nice profile pic you got there @nsyedhasan

i'm a potato

BTW nice profile pic you got there @nsyedhasan

Hopefully it doesn't give you nightmares because this things actually exists.

Quote me to get a reply!

Looking at the base models on XOTICPC, it looks like the Sager is pretty awesome value for the specs - for around the same price, you'll get a better CPU/GPU than the ASUS.

However, I'm not too familiar with Sager models, and I guess that's a newer one, because I can't find any reviews for it yet. I know the ASUS ROG laptops have very good cooling to keep temps down, and I wish I could find some benchmarks to see what the thermals are like on the Sager.

Also, keep in mind that one's a 15" laptop and the other is 17" if that matters to you.

I bought a Sager years ago there are priced fairly good for the price, and they usually use a MXM platform for the gpu, so you can upgrade the graphics and keep you laptop longer, Asus will usually do an integrated chip on the mobo, meaning no possible upgarding in the future, I have also found that Sager offers more custom options (multiply HDDs, ram type, display etc).

I would go with the Asus. I've owned a sager and there is a reason they are priced so low for the specs they deliver, they sacrifice build quality. I had the plastic beginning to crack in different areas after just a lil over a year of owning it and I was by no means rough on it. From day one it didn't feel that solid to me and the chassis was creaky.

To offer an alternative, having owned 3 Asus laptops already.

Two Asus G51JX-X1's (two for me, one to replace the lemon I had) both with 360M's

One Asus G75 (for my wife -- with the 660m)

The lemon fried itself from heat and refused to turn on about 8 months.  This is with standard maintenance, blowing out vents, keeping it cooled, in an ambient room temperature of 22.5c

The second after 2 years fried the 360M video.  I had it replaced, and as a propritary card, this is the steps to replace the video card:

1.  Purchase on ebay for $380 bucks.

2.  Disassamble the entire laptop, first from the bottom to remove the heatsinks and unscrew everything.  Then removing the monitor hinges, the keyboard, then the plate over the video card, then finally I could replace the video card.

Even brand new, the system tended to run hot (88-92c on GPU, 79-85c on CPU).  This happened even after I replaced the GPU, meaning I had re-pasted it (with Artic MX-4).

Frankly the system absolutely sucked at cooling.  Both of them.

The G75?  Yea, you got it.  Just shy of 2 years, my wife is having issues with performance.  It's consistantly downclocking itself because it is (let's say together) overheating.

The Asus 750 apparently has better cooling, but frankly after three pieces of crap, I wouldn't trust it to the test of time.

I currently own a Sager 8258-S.  With an 880M video, and the 4810 i7 CPU.

Running Witcher 2 in uber mode, with everything maxed out, the GPU hovers around 82-84c, and the CPU hovers around 75-78c.

Granted, the GPU is a bit hot, but it is the 880M, and this was under heavy load (I mean come on, uber?!?).

In ultra, it tends to hover between 76-82c.

As for build quality, the sager is plastic, but frankly so is the Asus 750.  It has aluminum on top, yea, woopty do.  The bottom is plastic, and tapping it with your finger shows it to be rather thin plastic on top of that.  I think the aluminum top is a gimmic, personally.

The build quality on the G51JX-X1 didn't thrill me either.  Especially with the craptacular wifi card it has.  Which apparently the G750 shares.  The plastic covering the hinges on the monitor keep popping off, and rattle as well, so yea, build quailty?  Not impressed.

The sager, while plastic, seems to be made of a thicker plastic, and it's rubberized as well giving a nice solid and comfort feeling.

And here's the winner for me with the Sager.  The CPU, and the GPU, are both replaceable.  User-replaceable.  And both easilly from the bottom of the laptop.  Unscrew the laptop, remove the heatsinks and there you go. 

The fans are also easilly accessable at the bottom, and can not only be cleaned out, but also removed and hand-cleaned if you needed.

This can be done without breaking the warrenty.

I don't belive this is possible with Asus, and I know the 4700 i7 processor is soldered on and non-replaceable anyway.

Personally, i'd go Sager.  While the Asus 750 looks... ok... the fact it limits replaceability and has a limited warrenty for common tasks like re-pasting the GPU and CPU, and don't offer user-end replacement of said GPU and CPU to me makes it a deal breaker for me.

Those are my 2 cents.