Nintendo switch not detecting SD card that was used in system. please help

solvathus

Hi there,

I bumped to an issue with my switch no longer detecting my SD card. It worked in the past. 

Console is on latest firmware version.

So i attached the microSD to my computer, it works on the PC, it even have save game files from the switch on it

SD card is a 64 Gb i bought in a store that is branded with nintendo switch ( SanDisk )

I also tried to restore my switch to factory settings, nothing helps.

Might this be an issue with the SD card slot itself?
Any tips on how i can try and attempt to clean it?
Other suggestions are welcome to.

Kind regards.

It might be the slot. Easiest way to check it, is by trying another MicroSD. 

It might also be something else. Could you tell us a bit more about what you mean with attaching it with the computer?

Also, does the Switch not see it at all? Or does it at least give you an error message?

2 minutes ago, FrowningHippo said:

It might be the slot. Easiest way to check it, is by trying another MicroSD. 

It might also be something else. Could you tell us a bit more about what you mean with attaching it with the computer?

Also, does the Switch not see it at all? Or does it at least give you an error message?

I tried an other SD card also, same result. 

I have an adaptor to connect microSD cards to my pc, my pc instantly detect the card and can see the files from the switch on it. 

No error message on the switch when insert the MicroSD card, it's ust not detecting i insert a card.

I did not do any "funny" stuff with the card slot. Theres a visual representation in sliding the card in the switch etc. It used to work, now it does not longer

That does sound like there is either some debris in the reader or it simply has died. Might be worth trying to see if you can look inside the slot with the card removed. Maybe there is some lint on the contact points? 

4 minutes ago, FrowningHippo said:

That does sound like there is either some debris in the reader or it simply has died. Might be worth trying to see if you can look inside the slot with the card removed. Maybe there is some lint on the contact points? 

it's realy hard to focus on the slot, its verry narrow and hard to see. Any suggestions in about how i can try to clean it?

7 minutes ago, solvathus said:

it's realy hard to focus on the slot, its verry narrow and hard to see. Any suggestions in about how i can try to clean it?

That depends on the model of your Switch. But in general it's actually a bit hard to do. You can try compressed air, but that might also push it in further. A little pieve of paper with some isophropal alcohol might do the trick, but only if it's dirty. It's lint, it might simply push it in a bit harder. 

Honestly. I can only think of two solutions. 1. Try miniature tweezers and be very careful not to damage the prongs (it's going to be pretty hard if you can't look inside). 2. Go to iFixit and or YouTube and follow a step by step guide to open up your Switch yourself and get to the SD card slot.

Safe bonus option: 3. Take the safe route and contact Nintendo for repairs. It might cost a bit, but it's probably cheaper then buying a new Switch.

14 minutes ago, FrowningHippo said:

That depends on the model of your Switch. But in general it's actually a bit hard to do. You can try compressed air, but that might also push it in further. A little pieve of paper with some isophropal alcohol might do the trick, but only if it's dirty. It's lint, it might simply push it in a bit harder. 

Honestly. I can only think of two solutions. 1. Try miniature tweezers and be very careful not to damage the prongs (it's going to be pretty hard if you can't look inside). 2. Go to iFixit and or YouTube and follow a step by step guide to open up your Switch yourself and get to the SD card slot.

Safe bonus option: 3. Take the safe route and contact Nintendo for repairs. It might cost a bit, but it's probably cheaper then buying a new Switch.

I'm considering in getting a new OLED edition then. My switch is out of warranty, also one controller the joypad no longer works in one direction anyway.

I'm not feeling to confident in trying to repair the slot.

I will give the compressed air a try 

Was it bumped or dropped.  I have repaired a few where the sd card port was disconnected from the main board and just needed plugged back in.  They can become unseated from the board even in normal use and transport.  Here is a link for disassembly to get to the card reader. You can follow the guide to open it up and reseat the reader.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+Switch+Micro+SD+Card+Reader+Replacement/113031