How do I get a stripped screw out?

I tried to use the rubber band trick but it didn't work. Are there any other ways that could be more effective?

20230516_230015.jpg

Flathead screwdriver. Depending on what it's attached to, philips head and tap on the back of it with a hammer, to get better contact/"strip" new patern in. Dremel, and put in a single slit, so you can use a flathead screwdriver to it. Just try to push the screwdriver really into the screw, so it's less likely to strip it some more. Worst-case you've got to use a drill to remove the screw head.

28 minutes ago, RockStar1x0 said:

I tried to use the rubber band trick but it didn't work. Are there any other ways that could be more effective?

Well... the most surefire method I know of is to either :

Method #1 :

Drop a dollop (just as big as the screw top) of fast drying epoxy glue (Like... the 5min dry ones), then either :

1. Attach something to it (cheap spare / broken screwdriver or something) before it dries, wait till dry then turn.

or

2. Wait till dry, then turn using pliers by grabbing the dried epoxy.

Pro tip : Wait a little bit after mixing the epoxy before dropping a drop on the screw head, it makes it less likely for the epoxy to flatten while drying.

Method #2 :

Find something with flat tip, preferably metal

Drop a thick superglue (cyanoacrylate) on the top of the screw, taking care not to let it spill to the side of the screw top.

Dip the metal shaft tip to the superglue on top of the screw head, then pour baking soda powder on the superglue

wait abit until it is more solid, then start turning slowly.

If you don't know what superglue + baking soda powder result is like :

https://info.aronalpha.net/blog/how-strong-is-super-glue-baking-soda

Keep in mind that failing the application of one of these methods may result in you gluing the screw to the screw hole for good.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

13 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Well... the most surefire method I know of is to either :

Method #1 :

Drop a dollop (just as big as the screw top) of fast drying epoxy glue (Like... the 5min dry ones), then either :

1. Attach something to it (cheap spare / broken screwdriver or something) before it dries, wait till dry then turn.

or

2. Wait till dry, then turn using pliers by grabbing the dried epoxy.

Pro tip : Wait a little bit after mixing the epoxy before dropping a drop on the screw head, it makes it less likely for the epoxy to flatten while drying.

Method #2 :

Find something with flat tip, preferably metal

Drop a thick superglue (cyanoacrylate) on the top of the screw, taking care not to let it spill to the side of the screw top.

Dip the metal shaft tip to the superglue on top of the screw head, then pour baking soda powder on the superglue

wait abit until it is more solid, then start turning slowly.

If you don't know what superglue + baking soda powder result is like :

https://info.aronalpha.net/blog/how-strong-is-super-glue-baking-soda

Keep in mind that failing the application of one of these methods may result in you gluing the screw to the screw hole for good.

last if none of that works solder a throwaway Phillips head to the screw and turn it with a screwdriver

Here is another, ugly, method: Widen the notch in the screw. I've done that before. Use a tool like a dremel and cut the gap from edge to edge, then use a flathead. The ugly part is that you might cut into the surroundings as well.

Also, make sure your tool is softer than the screw. If you strip your screwdriver you can always use a new one, but getting a stripped screw out is pain.

Oh, and for that particular screw, it looks like there is still some surface to grab. I had a screw that ended up with a perfectly round hole.