Second Screen For iPad Pro

Afternoon Tea

Hello all,

New to the forum after discovering LTT a few months back. 

I currently use a iPad Pro M1 as my main computer. Although I would love to build my own pc, I have no need for it so cannot justify the cost. 

I am however looking for a second screen for my iPad, to increase its usability. Does anyone have any recommendations that would be suitable? I’m struggling to figure out the max external screen res the M1 iPad can push. I believe it’s 4k 60hz but cannot be certain. 

Googling ‘iPad second screens’ brings up lots of articles on how to use the iPad AS THE second screen, not recommendations for second screens. 

Happy to buy new or used, whatever is best value.  

It is a bit difficult to get a display out conveniently with an iPad since they only have 1 port natively. However, according to Apple, you can use either a USB-C to DP or USB-C to HDMI cable to get a display out. You can also use a hub or adapter such as the Apple USB C Digital AV adapter (or similar device). Going this route means just about any modern display will work. 

Anker makes really good hubs, a USB-C one should not be too expensive and should work with the iPad. 

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Upgraded-Delivery-Pixelbook-A83460A2/dp/B07ZVKTP53/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3EWRM02W6DHW8&keywords=Anker%2BUSB%2BC%2Bhub&qid=1684271634&sprefix=anker%2Busb%2Bc%2Bhu%2Caps%2C334&sr=8-5&th=1

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

It is a bit difficult to get a display out conveniently with an iPad since they only have 1 port natively. However, according to Apple, you can use either a USB-C to DP or USB-C to HDMI cable to get a display out. You can also use a hub or adapter such as the Apple USB C Digital AV adapter (or similar device). 

Anger makes really good hubs, a USB-C one should not be too expensive and should work with the iPad. 

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Upgraded-Delivery-Pixelbook-A83460A2/dp/B07ZVKTP53/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3EWRM02W6DHW8&keywords=Anker%2BUSB%2BC%2Bhub&qid=1684271634&sprefix=anker%2Busb%2Bc%2Bhu%2Caps%2C334&sr=8-5&th=1

Thanks! Do you use this one yourself? 

I’m not too bothered about connecting more than just the display, I have the keyboard case which has a additional USB C I can use for power (would not recommend the keyboard for the money, though). But that hub looks decent! 

I looked at NextDock after the video on LTT, but they don’t seem to have support for the iPads & also don’t keep stock in the UK, so would need to get it shipped over. If I could find a screen that size (without keyboard or trackpad) it would work for me perfectly! 

1 minute ago, Afternoon Tea said:

Do you use this one yourself?

I don't own that hub personally, one thing I would keep a look out for though if you do get a hub is cable size, You don't really want the hub dangling off the side of the iPad. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I don’t know if the power input on the Magic Keyboard would be sufficient to power the iPad and a display at the same time. I would try an adapter with USB-C pass through for power and an hdmi port like this

1 minute ago, seanondemand said:

I don’t know if the power input on the Magic Keyboard would be sufficient to power the iPad and a display at the same time.

Displays are not powered by the device connected to them. Displays have their own power. The USB-C input on the Magic Keyboard will charge whatever iPad that is connected to it at full speed. 

12 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I don't own that hub personally, one thing I would keep a look out for though if you do get a hub is cable size, You don't really want the hub dangling off the side of the iPad. 

Thanks, I’ll keep an eye on that. The hub actually looks really good with SD support etc. But that cable length may be an issue. The USBC on the Magic Keyboard is power only, so couldn’t use that instead 

11 minutes ago, seanondemand said:

I don’t know if the power input on the Magic Keyboard would be sufficient to power the iPad and a display at the same time. I would try an adapter with USB-C pass through for power and an hdmi port like this

Thanks. The Magic Keyboard doesn’t have data output, only power. So would need to plug display direct into iPad and then power into Magic Keyboard. 

20 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Displays are not powered by the device connected to them. Displays have their own power. The USB-C input on the Magic Keyboard will charge whatever iPad that is connected to it at full speed. 

They can be - portable usb-c displays  are a big thing for business travellers. 

1 minute ago, seanondemand said:

Yes, however OP appears to be referring to traditional desktop displays. 

19 minutes ago, seanondemand said:

17 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yes, however OP appears to be referring to traditional desktop displays. 

Sorry, I was considering both. Not sure what my options are so looking at everything.