Possible bad Corsair HX1200 in my new build?

killahgrag

So I am building a new system, which I have done before, but this time it's frustrating me to no end.  I was super excited about it since in all my years of building PCs this was my most high-end build ever, by far.

For reference:

i9 13900K

XFX Radeon 7900 XTX

MSI Z790 Carbon Wifi DDR5

G.Skill Trident Z5 32gb *=(2x16gb @ 6000mHz cl30)

Samsung 980 Pro 2tb (x2)
Corsair HX1200 1200w 80+ Plat

Corsair H150i Elite LCD XT 360 AiO

I spent upwards of 10 hours on this system yesterday and it won't turn on.  I get standby power, but no matter what I do as far as what is plugged into the mobo or PSU, I cannot get it to turn on.  I even tried a different circuit in the house to make sure I wasn't possible overloading the one I normally use.  Nothing was working so I decided to go to sleep and try again in the morning.

I was googling around and found out about the partial recall of the HX1200 PSUs back a couple years ago, but my s/n is not even close to the range they said were affected.  Mine starts with 2303****.  I decided to do a PSU test and I shorted the pins according to Corsair and when I turn the PSU on, I get nothing.  It's a ZeroRPM power supply so I didn't expect much, but it just sat there looking sad.

Is it possible this is still an issue with some of their stock?  Was that a good enough test to tell me what I need to know to RMA it?  I just don't want to wait for a new PSU and then it be something completely different.

4 hours ago, killahgrag said:

I decided to do a PSU test and I shorted the pins according to Corsair and when I turn the PSU on, I get nothing.  It's a ZeroRPM power supply so I didn't expect much, but it just sat there looking sad.

Do you have any old school molex fans? If you plug a fan in it will spin when (if) the power supply turns on. 

Double check all the cables are plugged in correctly. With the hx1200 the motherboard cable has an 18pin and 10pin connector that plugs in on the PSU side and they both need to be plugged in.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

52 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Do you have any old school molex fans? If you plug a fan in it will spin when (if) the power supply turns on. 

Double check all the cables are plugged in correctly. With the hx1200 the motherboard cable has an 18pin and 10pin connector that plugs in on the PSU side and they both need to be plugged in.

I do not have any old fans, unfortunately and yes, everything was plugged, including the 24pin (20+4) connecteor.

I've decided to just send it back to Amazon and get another one, hopefully this time it won't be DOA.

• 7 months later...

Comrade I too have a very similar issue with my HX1200 with a serial number starting in 2303. Unfortunately mine was a little more on the catastrophic end and posted on LTT Forums here in hopes of insight. RMA process is started through Corsair so fingies crossed. 

Testing the unit by shoving a paperclip into the 24 pin seems a little too janky for me and will just let them deal with it. 

Maybe it will be another batch of recalls and Corsair can take some notes off EVGA power supplies. My old 850W G2 lasted nearly 10 years with a moderately overclocked i5-4690k and GTX 770 SLI. The Corsair lasted all of 10 minutes.