Thunderbolt dock not working well with PC

ViRRO

Hey all,

I have the following situation: I want to connect all my peripherals and (two) monitors to my Dell WD19TB Thunderbolt dock.

The goal is to have the same Dock connected to either my work M1 Pro or my home PC so I can quickly switch between them.

I have headphones, a mouse, a keyboard, and two monitors connected to the dock. One of the monitors is connected to the display port, and the other is connected to the USB-C/HDMI port (The display port + normal HDMI port were not working for Mac).

After some troubleshooting, I was able to make it work perfectly on Mac, but my PC doesn't recognize the monitors if they are not directly connected to the graphics card. Other peripherals work fine on PC.

I played around with the Thunderbolt settings on my BIOS, but it's all enabled, and I couldn't find anything missing.

I have a ASRock Z790 Taichi and a 7900XTX.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

I think PCs have a Thunderbolt app. You could try finding it and seeing if there are any settings you need to change.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Hey @DrMacintosh! Thanks for your answer.

Im using the Intel Thunderbolt control center, but it doesn't help much.

image.png.f41fd32854d6a54c644bff2b3ccf5a7d.png

Wait, so your motherboard has a thunderbolt port on it? Does your board also have support for GPU pass through or some internal connectors? I know some older boards had internal display port headers to pass the video through the thunderbolt port. In order for to do video over thunderbolt the graphics card needs to be connected to the thunderbolt controller in some way.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

This is most likely the problem:

image.png.b39fec2e20bca90a574bda133140185e.png

You will need to get a different motherboard to pass a display signal through Thunderbolt from your graphics card.

Thanks for all the replies.

After enabling "IGPU Multi-Monitor" and setting "Share memory" to Auto in the chipset options the HDMI over USB-C (connected to the dock) works, but the DP cable still needs to be connected directly to the graphics card. Any suggestion?

13 minutes ago, ViRRO said:

Thanks for all the replies.

After enabling "IGPU Multi-Monitor" and setting "Share memory" to Auto in the chipset options the HDMI over USB-C (connected to the dock) works, but the DP cable still needs to be connected directly to the graphics card. Any suggestion?

You realize that if your monitors are connected to your IGPU your 7900XTX becomes essentially useless, right?

Also, no idea why DP won't work. Sometimes DP can be a bit finicky. 

@Senzelian It looks like the GPU is the one doing the hard-lift even when playing on the HDMI monitor. Ill keep monitoring, tho.
Also I still have no idea why DP does not works. Ill update the thread if I ever findout.

Just to update the thread. Indeed the main GPU is not being used, I dont think my motherboard supports passtrhough.