Help building a low budget home server.

Hello I am George Basinas,

I want to get into the space of home servers.

My uses for home server would be streaming some 1080p media, coding, programming, some proxmox/virtualization and also some Minecraft gaming with two other friends.

Also note that I am from Greece and also my budget is around 600 euros.

I am open to mini PCs or old hardware but not used.

Any advice would be really helpful.

AM4 stuff makes a great home server because most (if not all) b450 and newer boards are able to post without a graphics card and you can get cheap boards and pair it up with something like R5 3600 or R7 2700X for tasks like yours.

In fact, that is what I am doing. B450M S2H V2, R5 3600(4G, 1.1v), 64G RAM (3600C16), 256G NVME and 4x4TB HDDs. Other than disks, all the parts were used or retired from my own PC. Total power draw of around 90w when I am scrubbing disks and stress-ng -c 12 on proxmox.

THAT BEING SAID, you really dont need much to do these. Check your used market, try to score a decent PC with nice CPU (Anything past 6th gen intel and first gen ryzen) and aim to get around 32G of RAM. Be mindful of your parts before you buy them, especially if you are getting early AM4 boards and intel boards. AFAIK, Intel boards wont post without a graphics card/iGPU present.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Threads 16 (12+4)  i5 13400 200€ish 
Asrock b760 pro rs 160€ ish 
it has a slot for an 10Gbit Card for the future, who knows right?
32 Gb DDR5 crucial 80€ ish for the start get only one Stick you can upgrade later if needed.
 Innovation IT Performance+ 2TB, M.2, Retail 80€ ish
get any cheap case you can find with a Powersupply that comes with it, even a 300-400 Watt one will do.

You can do anything with it. 

Proxmox, igpu sriov(that means use it in up to 7 VMs AND dockers simultanious), transcode, gamehosting, coding.

give the gameservers/dockers your 4 E Cores and use the 6+6 P Cores for your VM's if you feel daring give some of your "Threaded cores" to the dockers aswell.

CPU

Intel  i9 13900k

Motherboard

Asrock Z790 Taichi

RAM

Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MHZ

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24G 

Storage

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB 
Unraid NAS 10Gbit about 50TB HDD's, i713700k 64GB DDR5 crucial @ 5800Mhz 

Win11 Workstation