Midnight Marauder - Aerocool DS cube i5 mATX Build (First proper build)

Terosterone

Introduction

Hi, 

I wanted to write a build log for my first proper build.

I want to send my props @Faceman for his help in the New Builds and Planning sub-forum. took a long time thinking and picking between a Midi-tower AMD build or a mATX intel build, after which I took another long while to plan to pick my GPU. 

Background Information

I've always loved gaming and I've always been a major user of PCs. In 2007 I picked the parts for my first build as a 16 year old, however, I had it built for me instead of building it myself. It was a Intel Q6600 / 8200GT based gaming PC and really did the job at the time. 

That computer was great for my needs until about 2011 when I switched to using primarily a laptop. After finishing uni and making some money working, I decided I was sick and tired of a laggy pc with a low resolution.

I really wanted something relatively compact, because I move around a lot. I also wanted something that looked great, but wasn't too flashy (i.e. no crazy cases with tons of lights).

The Aerocool Dead Silence Cube really hit my eye. It's quite sleek and understated. What I really like is the horizontal motherboard, which should prevent GPU sag and also, it makes the GPU the primary "eye candy" you'll end up seeing through the cases window.

Another strong option would've been the Xigmatek Aquila.

Final Part List & Pricing 

I was on a budget, which I ended up going over by about 150€ by adding a new PSU, an SSD and going for the GTX 770 instead of a R9 265 dual-x or 270.

The primary purpose is multimedia, working and 1080/60 FPS gaming. I think this computer will do nicely for those purposes for the next 5 or so years. 

• Aerocool DS Black Edition with window, mATX - paid 63€;, price in Finland 93€;
  • Intel i5 4760K - paid 144€;, in Finland 204€;
  • Hyper 212 EVO - 35€;
  • ASUS GTX 770-DC2OC - paid 217€;, price in Finland 307€;
  • Corsair CX Series Modular CX600M, 600W - paid 63, price in Finland 71€;
  • ASRock Z87M Pro4, Socket 1150, mATX - paid 79€;, price in Finland 92€;
  • 8GB Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X CL9 1600mhz - paid 66€;, price in Finland 79€;
  • A-DATA 128GB 6Gb s SP900 paid 63€;, price in Finland 72€;
  • Samsung 500GB / 7200 RPM
  • Seagate Barracuda 250GB / 7200RPM
  • LG DVD/RW
  • be quiet!Shadow Wings SW1 140mm mid-speed paid 14€;, price in Finland 20€;
  • Windows 8.1
  • Watchdogs game

= 752€

-------------------------------
The total for this identical set-up bought from Finland for the cheapest price on each part would be 973€;
Additionally, I saved about 180€ using old HDDs, Windows 8 and a DVDRW. 
-------------------------------
I am quite happy with the specs of this build considering what I could've got for 750€ buying parts from Finland. 

Build Comments

• So far building has been quite easy and fun. I'm waiting till tonight for my CPU and GPU to arrive. Then I get to test that all my parts actually work and aren't DOA. I'm super excited to get this build ready. 

Here are some pictures so far! 

Build Photos 

Loads of community interaction and CS:GO gameplay
www.twitch.tv/terosterone

Loving the look of it so far.  Hopefully your GPU and CPU arrive today so you can get everything running!

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Updates coming in tomorrow: 
Inc. overclocking, finished builds, comments and pictures of my temporary set up

Ok, I'm a little late on my update. 
Tomorrow I am gonna upload all the photos of the finished build, my set up and add some extra information. 

Today, I thought I'd share both my experiences and the results from switching from the Intel stock cooler to a Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212. 

First off, the stock cooler is a piece of wank. Don't get me wrong, it gets the job done. In a case with sound insulation, fans at the top and no need for overclocking - it's fine. Otherwise, it's really below par. My case is sealed at the top (fans can be added to the top but I decided against it), so the cpu fan blasts hot air into the middle of my case, where the GPU heatsink is also releasing hot air. It's one big mess. 

Installing the evo 212 wasn't exactly a breeze. I had to remove the motherboard and some wires from it. I initially read the (slightly confusing)manual wrong. I installed the mount brack, but failed to understand how the X-brace worked. Eventually I fumbled around so much, I ended up cutting my finger and having to remove the mobo, gpu and some wires again to reinstall the bracket (as one of the screws had fallen loose). 

Anyway, after actually understanding I could move the screws on the x-bracket. The re-instalation wasn't too bad. I managed to fit it in and actually added an another fan to the heatsink that I had laying around. To my surprise it fit fine. I left the front fan about 3mm higher to accomodate for the ram, but this case is surprisingly spacious. The EVO isn't a small fella. 
--------------

Before installing the new cooler, I ran some test at practically idle (browser and some apps open) and with Prime 95 for about 30 minutes. 
The results were the following: 
MIN 36 39 36 36 Load 4.5%
MAX 96 95 93 91 Load 100%

The results I've managed to get right after installation and about 30 minutes of Prime 95 with the Hyper Evo:
MIN 32 35 32 31 
MAX 73 75 72 69 

The temps are between 23-20 degrees lower at max and 4-5 degrees lower at min. 

Pretty nice boost. I'll have to see what other people are getting with similar set ups though! 

Also, I can say it is a bit quieter and I think the overall air flow has improved:
I know have a 200mm front fan, 2x120mm fans on the evo 212 and a 140mm at the back, all blowing air in one direction.

Anyway, this was a quick update. I'll fix this text, add screen shots for the benchmarks, talk about my GPU overclocking (Which I think I can improve on now that my overall temp inside the case has probably decreased along with the CPU temp). I will add photos and overall edit this whole damn thing to be more attractive and fluent.

I've just been busy with work and life lately, cheers!

EDIT 23.5: IMAGE GALLERY has been updated with new photos of the finished build. Will update the topic tonight or tomorrow.