After my new system get here should replace the generic thermal paste the builders used with a better one?

Azurael

I have gotten a mixed bag of oppinions on this from people I have talked to other places. There were three that I heard the most.

1. Some say that I really should and it will help me get the best performance from the CPU.

2. Others say it will be fine for a while, but I might want to replace it a year or so down the road it I see average gaming temps rise.

3. A third common oppinion that I got was that I should do what ever I felt comfortable with.

(This one is funny considering I was asking because I was uncertain.)

My Main PC

• CPU: 13700KF
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
  • RAM: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5-6000MHz TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta
  • GPU: RTX 4070 ASUS Dual
  • Case: RAIDMAX X603
  • Storage: WD SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair RM850X Fully Modular
  • Cooling: DEEPCOOL LS720
  • Display(s): Gigabyte G24F2 & Dell S2318HN/NX
  • Keyboard: Logitech G512 Carbon (GX Blue)
  • Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero
  • Sound: Bose Headphone & Creative SBS260
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Laptop: Alienware m15 R1

• CPU: 9750H
  • MB: OEM
  • RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 2666Mhz
  • GPU: RTX 2060 (Mobile)

Phone: Galaxy A54

Other: Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Azurael said:

I have gotten a mixed bag of oppinions on this from people I have talked to other places. There were three that I heard the most.

1. Some say that I really should and it will help me get the best performance from the CPU.

2. Others say it will be fine for a while, but I might want to replace it a year or so down the road it I see average gaming temps rise.

3. A third common oppinion that I got was that I should do what ever I felt comfortable with.

(This one is funny considering I was asking because I was uncertain.)

No.  Thermal paste for the most part is a degree or two difference.  Unless you suspect they are using some super shit paste, no.

Mostly they are using the preapplied paste on the components which is more than fine, most of us use that too.  I do.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

11 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

No.  Thermal paste for the most part is a degree or two difference.  Unless you suspect they are using some super shit paste, no.

Mostly they are using the preapplied paste on the components which is more than fine, most of us use that too.  I do.

I bought my PC from iBuypower I do not know there record with thermal paste. 

What exactly do you mean by preapplied paste?

My Main PC

Unless you have a problem with the current one, then no.

a problems as in it's 15 degrees or more than normally.

Unless your CPU is overheating, then don't bother.

if it is overheating, usually a better cooler will give better result. can they come with new paste.

If you just wanna tinker, then go ahead. I've gotten a tube of liquid metal and liquid metaled 2 desktops and 2 laptops with great success.

but at the end of the day. only one of them was necessary, because it's overclocked SFF and has to be die cooled.

10 minutes ago, Azurael said:

What exactly do you mean by preapplied paste?

Usually when coolers are shipped they come with preapplied thermal paste Like so

image.thumb.png.7aaf788b71853834a863d3614c8403a4.png

15 minutes ago, ThousandBlade said:

Unless you have a problem with the current one, then no.

a problems as in it's 15 degrees or more than normally.

Unless your CPU is overheating, then don't bother.

if it is overheating, usually a better cooler will give better result. can they come with new paste.

But if you ARE having a problem with it, then that negates the whole point of buying a pre-built.  Its their responsibility to make sure it works correctly, not yours, or you might as well build your own.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

8 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

But if you ARE having a problem with it, then that negates the whole point of buying a pre-built.  Its their responsibility to make sure it works correctly, not yours, or you might as well build your own.

I have not bought  iBuypower pre-built before but over the years troubleshooting computer problems for people. I've seen so many pre-built that have thermal problems right from from the get go. alot of times they just sell people sth that works, not sth that works well.

28 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Usually when coolers are shipped they come with preapplied thermal paste Like so

image.thumb.png.7aaf788b71853834a863d3614c8403a4.png

That small ass circle is thermal paste? Jeez

The mount for the AIO to be tightned down on the CPU has a proper buff so you can't over crank it right?

My Main PC

20 minutes ago, Azurael said:

That small ass circle is thermal paste? Jeez

The mount for the AIO to be tightned down on the CPU has a proper buff so you can't over crank it right?

Yes normally

As for the thermal paste thing.

If you would do that why did you decide on a prebuilt?

Installing a cooler is literally the most annoying and hardest part of a build

And no leave the paste on

27 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yes normally

As for the thermal paste thing.

If you would do that why did you decide on a prebuilt?

Installing a cooler is literally the most annoying and hardest part of a build

And no leave the paste on

Well I was thonking about it and wanted to know if the thermal paste was okay or if I should bite the bullet and get better stuff. I bought prebuilt because I am not at a place in life where building a PC is a good option for me, dispite actually wanting to have the experiance. 

As for the included Thermal Paste it does not look like enough to be able to cover the CPU heat sink.

My Main PC

26 minutes ago, Azurael said:

As for the included Thermal Paste it does not look like enough to be able to cover the CPU heat sink.

No, you dont need much if at all. Having it on in the first place is a huge upgrade to your cooling.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Most people here build their own computers, so not many have had experience with the builder you're talking about.  You would need to ask them the brand and model of paste, and/ or look at lots of customer reviews.

Contrary to some opinions, older products are generally much worse than new ones, and I'm not talking about expired stuff. 

Tom's Hardware compared dozens of them and the gap between the best and most others were as much 10 degrees hotter, with the worst being 22 degrees hotter.

So, yeah, their comparison wasn't perfect, but it clearly shows that all compounds are not within 1-2 degrees. There are two reasons companies make new ones - their old ones are no longer relevant. And there's a reason they keep selling the old stuff - they haven't run out, and some people don't know when to abandon a sinking ship. 🤣

Unless you can confirm that they use an inferior product (>=5 degrees worse than the best), or you have heat problems, you don't need to replace it. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

Is pre-applied paste good?  I've always followed the "pea" sized recommendation being placed at the center of the processor to ensure a good uniform air-bubble free smooshing.  How do pre-applied pastes avoid air bubbles that commonly occur when pastes are smoothed out on mating surfaces?

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Most people here build their own computers, so not many have had experience with the builder you're talking about.  You would need to ask them the brand and model of paste, and/ or look at lots of customer reviews.

Contrary to some opinions, older products are generally much worse than new ones, and I'm not talking about expired stuff. 

Tom's Hardware compared dozens of them and the gap between the best and most others were as much 10 degrees hotter, with the worst being 22 degrees hotter.

So, yeah, their comparison wasn't perfect, but it clearly shows that all compounds are not within 1-2 degrees. There are two reasons companies make new ones - their old ones are no longer relevant. And there's a reason they keep selling the old stuff - they haven't run out, and some people don't know when to abandon a sinking ship. 🤣

Unless you can confirm that they use an inferior product (>=5 degrees worse than the best), or you have heat problems, you don't need to replace it. 

So, I should probably get the PC up and running, put it through its paces and check the temps. If it is to high for comfort then I replace the paste and see if that helps. 

Is there any programs you recomend for monitoring temps over a stretch of time?

My Main PC

There are a lot of programs for that.  HwInfo is often suggested. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

On 5/13/2023 at 11:41 PM, BlaineBug said:

Is pre-applied paste good?  I've always followed the "pea" sized recommendation being placed at the center of the processor to ensure a good uniform air-bubble free smooshing.  How do pre-applied pastes avoid air bubbles that commonly occur when pastes are smoothed out on mating surfaces?

It's overblown YouTuber fear mongering. Air bubbles rarely cause issue. Paste is viscous enough and pressure high enough to squeeze bubbles out.

Can't recall who did it, but there was a video using a clear plate to show what happens when you tighten the cooler. They did small pea, spreading and even a doughnut shape with a circle of air in the middle. End result was always the same. Full airfree coverage.

8 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

It's overblown YouTuber fear mongering. Air bubbles rarely cause issue. Paste is viscous enough and pressure high enough to squeeze bubbles out.

Can't recall who did it, but there was a video using a clear plate to show what happens when you tighten the cooler. They did small pea, spreading and even a doughnut shape with a circle of air in the middle. End result was always the same. Full airfree coverage.

Interesting, that's good to know I suppose.  I was hearing "air bubbles" over 10 years ago.  But you're right I never had a problem.  One of first systems I ever built I ran for years with thermal compound that I smeared myself.  Never had an issue that I could tell.  I still removed it and reapplied after hearing the warnings from online.

19 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

May have been this or similar:

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

27 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

May have been this or similar:

Interesting.  Although I'll still use the dollop in the center, although perhaps I'll start using more than a pea sized dollup.

1 hour ago, BlaineBug said:

Interesting.  Although I'll still use the dollop in the center, although perhaps I'll start using more than a pea sized dollup.

Yea, still the best method, but the key takeaway is that it's much more forgiving that many youtube videos makes out.people have this crazy fear that they will screw it up, which is pretty difficult to do.

38 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Yea, still the best method, but the key takeaway is that it's much more forgiving that many youtube videos makes out.people have this crazy fear that they will screw it up, which is pretty difficult to do.

A long, long time ago I recall removing a heatsink and applying new compound after reading the comments about air bubbles.🤡

5 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

A long, long time ago I recall removing a heatsink and applying new compound after reading the comments about air bubbles.🤡

And let me guess, there was no change (or it was margin of error) 🤔

6 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

And let me guess, there was no change (or it was margin of error) 🤔

No clue in all honesty, but my OCD self slept better with no pending task to complete 😁

Theoretically, there is a slim chance that more is sometimes better than less. This depend on the shape of the CPU's top and the cooler's plate. If they match perfectly, even a small amount is enough. If they mismatch for any reason, you may need just a tiny bit more, or even a comparatively large amount. For example, if the IHS is convex, and the cooler plate is convex, too, you'll need a lot to fill in around the edges. Conversely, if both are concave, you'll need a lot to fill in the middle.

By "a lot", of course, I mean in a comparative sense.