ryzen 7000 memory questions

i hear infinity fabric and memory 1:1 is no longer necessary. is this true?

also hear these chips don't like high capacity memory. something about it's better to have memory with chips on 1 side of the stick vs both sides. can't find a reason for this though. also seems to be contradicting last gen dual rank better than single rank. any of this true?

anybody have a spare IHS or a dead cpu?

12 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

yeah infinity fabric runs at like 2100 MHZ I think

14 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

also hear these chips don't like high capacity memory. something about it's better to have memory with chips on 1 side of the stick vs both sides. can't find a reason for this though. also seems to be contradicting last gen dual rank better than single rank. any of this true?

just run 2 stick of 16gb and don't worry about it

14 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

not yet and hopefully not for a while 🙂 

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

don't worry about it doesn't satisfy my curiosity. i want to know if it's true, and if it is, why?

18 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

Yes. You still want the memory controller clock (UCLK) equal to the memory clock (MEMCLK), but that should be default behavior up until DDR5 6000. FCLK of those CPUs doesn't go above 2100 on most chips (stock 2000MHz), which would mean 4200MT/s at most if 1:1 mode was sustained. 

also hear these chips don't like high capacity memory.

It's complicated. Dual rank (currently 2x32GB, 2x48GB, 4x16GB, and 4x24GB memory configurations, though this is subject to change in the future) currently clocks about as high as single rank, so DDR5 6000 being easy and works on basically every chip, 6200 being not quite as easy but still should work on most chips, and 6400 being possible but only on the best CPUs memory controllers (especially after the SOC voltage restrictions). Quad rank (4x32GB and 4x48GB configurations) currently have a ton of issues and limit memory speeds to somewhere between 3600 and 4400 depending on CPU quality. These configs should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. 

something about it's better to have memory with chips on 1 side of the stick vs both sides.

Not true on Ryzen 7000. It's true on Intel where you can clock the single rank (single sided) memory sticks significantly higher than the dual rank (both sides) sticks, but that's not the case on Ryzen as they both clock about the same speed. 

also seems to be contradicting last gen dual rank better than single rank.

There isn't really any benefit from dual rank this generation, that's for sure. It's within margin of error in basically every test. It doesn't hurt anything, but it doesn't help either. 

https://www.igorslab.de/en/ryzen-7000-tuning-guide-infinity-fabric-expo-dual-rank-samsung-and-hynix-ddr5-in-practice-test-with-benchmarks-recommendations/7/

Which generation and why are you asking. 

never even heard of memory controller clock. i was looking at 6400 memory. 2 sticks. is that going to be a pain in the balls?

ryzen 7000 IHS / DOA. want to goof around with lapping but only if i have a backup IHS.

10 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

i was looking at 6400 memory. 2 sticks. is that going to be a pain in the balls?

Yes. Very few chips can do it fully stable, especially since the new recommended safe limits for SOC voltage (generally the voltage the scales for high memory frequency) are lower than the originally recommended limits. The 7800X3D I played around with could boot 6400 at 1.3V SOC voltage, but it will instantly crash memory stress tests at that voltage and there are a lot of CPUs out there that won't even do that. Most of the chips that could do 6400 needed 1.4V SOC in order to be anywhere close to stable, and that's been shown to kill CPUs at this point. You'd have to be insanely lucky to get a chip that can do 6400 fully stable at this point. 6200 isn't that big of a pain to get working, though it's a can sometimes take a bit of tweaking if your CPU isn't great. 

Also quote so we get a notification. 

i see some memory running at 1.4v. is this safe with X3D chips? i hear the X3D chips burning up is related to the memory voltage.