New Build advice - 7900XTX / 7800X3D

Hello, Canadian here.

I'm looking to build a new PC. Most of my experience so far has been to just buy a pre built off of bestbuy that has the cpu and gpu that I'm after. 

However this time I want to build a very aesthetically pleasing build while also keeping the price as low as possible (not spending pointless money where I dont need to). I only use the PC for gaming so I dont need crazy extra features that I'm not gonna use. 

Since I'm a lot less savvy with things like choosing a motherboard, I was hoping to get some advice if there was anything you guys think I should change on this build before pulling the trigger.

MOBO: ASRock PRO B650 PRO RS

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

GPU: PowerColor Hellhound Radeon RX 7900 XTX Spectral White

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken RGB 280mm - RL-KR280-W1- AIO RGB CPU Liquid Cooler - Maybe? not sure yet

RAM: Team T-Force Delta RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000)  -  (Timing 30-36-36-76)

BOOT DRIVE: Not sure yet - perhaps a very fast 1TB or 500GB M.2

BULK STORAGE DRIVE: Intel 670p Series M.2 2280 2TB PCIe 3.0 x4  - for steam library mainly 

PSU: GIGABYTE GP-UD1000GM 1000 W ATX 12V v2.31 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular

CASE: Hyte Y60  - not for sure set on this case due to the price but I'd like to vertical mount my GPU. 

CASE FANS: I havent looked into them yet but I know they'll be RGB lol.

5 minutes ago, bren107 said:

Hello, Canadian here.

I'm looking to build a new PC

I just got done building a very similar system - 7800X-3D and Red Devil 7900-XTX. Only difference is I am Air Cooling (D-15 in Lian Li LanCool 216 Case)

You actually don't need a 1000-Watt PSU. Even my Seasonic Focus PX-850 (850 Watt Platinum) is more than enough.

You could save a few bucks with an 850-watt PSU. 7800X-3D only draws about 80 watts, 90 when overclocked. 7900-XTX draws 350 watts, 430 when overclocked. Add in 100 watts for mobo, ram, fans, ect and worst case scenario, the MOST your system will ever draw is 620 watts.

So even a 750-Watt Gold can handle the system, but 850-Platinum comes highly recommended for better efficiency and some extra overhead. 1000-Watt would only be recommended if you got the insanely power-hungry i9-13900K CPU to go with that GPU which wouldn't make any sense because you want AMD SAM for that GPU.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

Just now, WallacEngineering said:

I just got done building a very similar system - 7800X-3D and Red Devil 7900-XTX. Only difference is I am Air Cooling (D-15 in Lian Li LanCool 216 Case)

You actually don't need a 1000-Watt PSU. Even my Seasonic Focus PX-850 (850 Watt Platinum) is more than enough.

You could save a few bucks with an 850-watt PSU. 7800X-3D only draws about 80 watts, 90 when overclocked. 7900-XTX draws 350 watts, 430 when overclocked. Add in 100 watts for mobo, ram, fans, ect and worst case scenario, the MOST your system will ever draw is 620 watts.

So even a 750-Watt Gold can handle the system, but 850-Platinum comes highly recommended for better efficiency and some extra overhead. 1000-Watt would only be recommended if you got the insanely power-hungry i9-13900K CPU to go with that GPU which wouldn't make any sense because you want AMD SAM for that GPU.

Alright, thanks for the advice. I dont know too much about electrical so I wasnt sure if all the RGB im planning on putting in will affect how many watts I use much. I'll look into 850W PSU's. 

11 minutes ago, bren107 said:

Alright, thanks for the advice. I dont know too much about electrical so I wasnt sure if all the RGB im planning on putting in will affect how many watts I use much. I'll look into 850W PSU's. 

Nah, RGB strips use like literally 3 watts a piece. RBG on a fan is literally built into the fans power draw itself. RGB is a non-issue when it comes to power.

Well I mean... Unless you wanna run like 20+ RGB strips and like 10+ fans, then you might wanna add another 100 watts. But that would be dumb lol 😆

Current Build Thread:

In future use PCPartPicker.

Your motherboard and SSD are underwhelming for such a nice build, but the SSD isn’t awful at the price for a cheap bulk drive.

NZXT stuff sucks and is overpriced, especially the coolers, and except for a couple of their cases (mostly the Flow variants)

Here’s a list with a lot of cooling (get the cooler from arctic’s b-stock page on ebay for cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/354449321369?)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/g3V86r

Or a better list that has even better vertical mounting with a slightly but not much less powerful cooler:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HwGFQ6

Get the cooler from Ebay again:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354500649577?

15 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

i9-13900K CPU to go with that GPU which wouldn't make any sense because you want AMD SAM for that GPU.

AMD SAM is literally the same as PCIe ReBAR, and they work interchangeably with both AMD and NVIDIA GPUs and both AMD and Intel CPUs and motherboards.

Just now, NF-A12x25 said:

@bren107

Well he hasn't picked out a boot SSD yet. He just wants the 670p as a secondary game storage drive cuz its so cheap, which makes sense.

Might I suggest the Samsung 980 Pro? Not sure how they are being priced in Canadia-Land right now but here in the states I just got a 2TB on sale for $129.99 down from $159.99.

Its a great choice for a boot drive. More than twice the speed of the 670p, has DRAM cache that is ESSENTIAL for system responsiveness, and is probably the most reliable SSD manufacturer on planet earth.

Current Build Thread:

4 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

AMD SAM is literally the same as PCIe ReBAR, and they work interchangeably with both AMD and NVIDIA GPUs and both AMD and Intel CPUs and motherboards.

Ya but there is a bonus specific to using an AMD CPU with an AMD GPU. Its not the biggest deal but there is a difference and its just a neat little bonus.

Gotta love vertical integration 😆

Current Build Thread:

5 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Your motherboard and SSD are underwhelming for such a nice build, but the SSD isn’t awful at the price for a cheap bulk drive.

NZXT stuff sucks and is overpriced, especially the coolers, and except for a couple of their cases (mostly the Flow variants)

Here’s a list with a lot of cooling (get the cooler from arctic’s b-stock page on ebay for cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/354449321369?)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/g3V86r

Or a better list that has even better vertical mounting with a slightly but not much less powerful cooler:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HwGFQ6

Get the cooler from Ebay again:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354500649577?

What difference are you genuinely going to notice with a more expensive motherboard though? As long as the VRM is kept cool. 

And it sounds dumb but I'm trying to go for an all white build. But I'll look into some of the components you suggested. 

3 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

@bren107

Well he hasn't picked out a boot SSD yet. He just wants the 670p as a secondary game storage drive cuz its so cheap, which makes sense.

Might I suggest the Samsung 980 Pro? Not sure how they are being priced in Canadia-Land right now but here in the states I just got a 2TB on sale for $129.99 down from $159.99.

Its a great choice for a boot drive. More than twice the speed of the 670p, has DRAM cache that is ESSENTIAL for system responsiveness, and is probably the most reliable SSD manufacturer on planet earth.

Ok. Yeah its on sale here too. Thanks for that suggestion 🙂

13 minutes ago, bren107 said:

What difference are you genuinely going to notice with a more expensive motherboard though? As long as the VRM is kept cool. 

Other than VRMs, better power delivery and more expansion for more storage and the like in future. Also, a better UEFI experience when monkeying around with settings.

I can put together an all-white build for you, too.

17 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Ya but there is a bonus specific to using an AMD CPU with an AMD GPU. Its not the biggest deal but there is a difference and its just a neat little bonus.

this is a myth, there is no longer any difference now that both sides support PCIe/rebar, but I still recommend the 7800x3D as it’s faster anyway.

6 minutes ago, bren107 said:

And it sounds dumb but I'm trying to go for an all white build. But I'll look into some of the components you suggested. 

How about you post an actual budget (an amount you would be comfortable spending) and any specific aesthetic requirements like wanting a white build and amount of lighting. "As low as possible" is not a budget and offers no guidance.

Use ca.pcpartpicker.com and post a BB formatted list or the permalink. You can limit the choices to a particular merchant if you want. You can also add custom parts.

Keeping VRM cool is the job of the heatsinks. While important, the actual VRM are far more important as they directly affect system stability.

The motherboard link provided indicates a 2 ½ star user rating. That alone should tell you why the motherboard may not be a good choice.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

23 minutes ago, brob said:

The motherboard link provided indicates a 2 ½ star user rating. That alone should tell you why the motherboard may not be a good choice.

that mobo isn’t THAT awful but for an all white build this guy has unrealistic expectations.

@bren107 you EITHER have a build that doesn’t spend a lot of money on useless shit, OR you go white.

For what the white 7900xtx’s cost in Canada, it is much smarter to get a 4080 AERO or white 4090.

From cheapest to most expensive:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fPsNKp white 4080 build with air cooling. the AK620 is more than enough for the 7800x3D and costs less than watercooling.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9KZyjZ Not gonna recommend a white AIO as they’re so expensive and aren’t as good as the liquid freezer II. Go custom loop if you want white watercooling. Otherwise same as previous list.

As for fans, get P12 and P14 PWM PST A-RGB if you want cheap ARGB fans with really good performance that aren’t white

get Light Wings white if you want ARGB and white

and get P12 PST white if you want white fans that aren’t RGB.

And for good measure here’s a 4090 build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PmqnY9

31 minutes ago, brob said:

How about you post an actual budget (an amount you would be comfortable spending) and any specific aesthetic requirements like wanting a white build and amount of lighting. "As low as possible" is not a budget and offers no guidance.

Use ca.pcpartpicker.com and post a BB formatted list or the permalink. You can limit the choices to a particular merchant if you want. You can also add custom parts.

Keeping VRM cool is the job of the heatsinks. While important, the actual VRM are far more important as they directly affect system stability.

Why is "as low as possible" not a fair budget. The truth is I can afford to buy anything but I'm frugal and don't want to spend 500 dollars on a MOBO when a 200 dollar MOBO will get me the exact same results. Multiple reviews I've looked at have said there are no issues with the MOBO I've listed running even a 7950X. And that newegg listing has 6 reviews so I dont think the star rating is very representative. 

28 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

that mobo isn’t THAT awful but for an all white build this guy has unrealistic expectations.

@bren107 you EITHER have a build that doesn’t spend a lot of money on useless shit, OR you go white.

For what the white 7900xtx’s cost in Canada, it is much smarter to get a 4080 AERO or white 4090.

From cheapest to most expensive:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fPsNKp white 4080 build with air cooling. the AK620 is more than enough for the 7800x3D and costs less than watercooling.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9KZyjZ Not gonna recommend a white AIO as they’re so expensive and aren’t as good as the liquid freezer II. Go custom loop if you want white watercooling. Otherwise same as previous list.

As for fans, get P12 and P14 PWM PST A-RGB if you want cheap ARGB fans with really good performance that aren’t white

get Light Wings white if you want ARGB and white

and get P12 PST white if you want white fans that aren’t RGB.

I cant find a posting for a white 7900xtx for sale in canada yet anyways (I'm not in a hurry to complete this build) but from the pricing of the other powercolor 7900xtx's for sale, that 4080 is like 400 dollars more... why do you think getting the 4080 would be smarter? From what I've seen it has overall lower performance in games. 

1 hour ago, bren107 said:

Hello, Canadian here.

I'm looking to build a new PC. Most of my experience so far has been to just buy a pre built off of bestbuy that has the cpu and gpu that I'm after. 

However this time I want to build a very aesthetically pleasing build while also keeping the price as low as possible (not spending pointless money where I dont need to). I only use the PC for gaming so I dont need crazy extra features that I'm not gonna use. 

Since I'm a lot less savvy with things like choosing a motherboard, I was hoping to get some advice if there was anything you guys think I should change on this build before pulling the trigger.

MOBO: ASRock PRO B650 PRO RS

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

GPU: PowerColor Hellhound Radeon RX 7900 XTX Spectral White

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken RGB 280mm - RL-KR280-W1- AIO RGB CPU Liquid Cooler - Maybe? not sure yet

RAM: Team T-Force Delta RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000)  -  (Timing 30-36-36-76)

BOOT DRIVE: Not sure yet - perhaps a very fast 1TB or 500GB M.2

BULK STORAGE DRIVE: Intel 670p Series M.2 2280 2TB PCIe 3.0 x4  - for steam library mainly 

PSU: GIGABYTE GP-UD1000GM 1000 W ATX 12V v2.31 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular

CASE: Hyte Y60  - not for sure set on this case due to the price but I'd like to vertical mount my GPU. 

CASE FANS: I havent looked into them yet but I know they'll be RGB lol.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/TZcKW4

32 minutes ago, bren107 said:

Why is "as low as possible" not a fair budget.

Because it offers no guidance on the level of quality or performance desired. It is in fact directly contradicted by some of the part choices in the OP.

If you truly want as low as possible you would not add the entirely subjective subjective qualifier "aesthetically pleasing".

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

6 hours ago, bren107 said:

I'd advise against vertical mounting any air-cooled GPU as it puts the fans right up against the case, giving them very little room to take in air. In fact, with the specific graphics card model you chose, you might not even be able to fit the GPU in a vertical mount at all.

Everything else looks fine enough to me.

they/them

my friends call me sod

Laptop (Main): MacBook Pro 14-inch "Iris" - M2 Max | 30-core GPU | 32GB DDR5-6400

Desktop: "Memoria Mk. 3.1" - Ryzen 9 5900X | RX 6800 XT (XFX MERC 319) | Strix X570-F | 64GB DDR4-3200

5 hours ago, bren107 said:

still gonna recommend the AK620 WH (white edition)

It’s a better cooler than the crummy overpriced NZXT one, won’t fail as fast, and IMO looks nicer.

5 hours ago, bren107 said:

that 4080 is like 400 dollars more

most 7900xtx in canada cost near the same as a 4080 (around 1100-1200 bucks) whereas your PowerColor white one costs close to $2,000.

Sodapone is correct too, you should only vertical mount using the proper bracket, such as the very good cooler master one, or if using a Lian Li case their house model. The Y60 is pretty terrible for vertical mounting, the O11D Evo (and even the Air Mini) is much better and a better case as a whole. The SL600M or the cooler master cosmos are great for vertical mounting but they are very expensive too.