PC Upgrade, first time asking in a Forum :-)

Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
1 minute ago, Ronnmann said:

Hello, im just in pain because i dont know what to upgrade right now...

Specs: 

MSI B360-A Pro Mainboard

Intel Core i7-9700KF

G.Skill Aegis 16 Gigs of ram, of course 2x8. Speed is 2666Mhz

RTX 3060 12Gb from KFA2

Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD (OS)

My Scenario is, i have an 1440P 180Hz Monitor and play a lot of shooters but want to enjoy Story games at 1440P as well. In Apex Legends for example i get 180fps permanent but only if i play in 1080P very low settings. I guess my GPU is too weak for 1440P high FPS, thats what i hear online at least. 

Question is, does it make more sense to upgrade my GPU to a 4070TI or something like that or does it make more sense if i Upgrade to a different platform like an i7-13700K, Z790 Mainboard, and 5600Mhz Ram and Keep the RTX 3060 for a few months? 

I know that the Processor is getting less important at higher Resolutions, but i dont know if this 5 Year old CPU is still good enough for an 4070 TI MAYBE an 4080. (I play often on big 4K Tv's, thats why i mention the 4080)

As someone who had a 9900k@5.1ghz all core overclock with a 4080, I would advice you to go 13700k or 7600-7700/x from AMD.  The 9900k just couldn't keep up with the my 4080 and it was a stuttery crapfest ( microstutters ) and insane low 1% lows.  Upgrading to a 7700x saw a decent leap in avg FPS and the stutters were completely gone.

Just now, Ronnmann said:

I googled the processor and it says it goes up to 5200mhz ram, for more i just need to enable the quivalent of XMP for AMD Cpu's right?

Exactly!  🙂   I have personaly been using this RAM set in my own build and with the other 7 ASUS B650 Plus builds. This one is EXPO certified ( AMD's XMP ) and has been working at 5600mhz without issues on all the builds. I also chose this ram because its not very tall, easier to fit my NH-D15.
https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/32GB-Kingston-FURY-Beast-EXPO-DDR5-5600-DIMM-CL36-Dual-Kit_1468064.html

3 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Exactly!  🙂   I have personaly been using this RAM set in my own build and with the other 7 ASUS B650 Plus builds. This one is EXPO certified ( AMD's XMP ) and has been working at 5600mhz without issues on all the builds. I also chose this ram because its not very tall, easier to fit my NH-D15.
https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/32GB-Kingston-FURY-Beast-EXPO-DDR5-5600-DIMM-CL36-Dual-Kit_1468064.html

Awesome that i just need to pay a bit more that 200€ to fully maximize my future 4070 TI or 4080, just awesome man. 

And just to be clear with that config i send you i can use my cooler and my PSU until i get a new GPU right?

5 minutes ago, Ronnmann said:

Awesome that i just need to pay a bit more that 200€ to fully maximize my future 4070 TI or 4080, just awesome man. 

And just to be clear with that config i send you i can use my cooler and my PSU until i get a new GPU right?

Yeah the PSU will be fine, the damn 7600 is 65w lol ( 9700k is 95w ) . Its such a monster and sips power! Technology improvements baby! 😄 I use a 750w with my 7700X - 4080  🙂.  The 7600 comes with a stock cooler that is quite good. You said you had a Dark Rock 2 but I do believe you mean Pure Rock 2, if it has the AM4 mounting bracket then it will work with AM5.
https://www.bequiet.com/en/press/30283

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

Yeah the PSU will be fine, the damn 7600 is 65w lol ( 9700k is 95w ) . Its such a monster and sips power! Technology improvements baby! 😄 I use a 750w with my 7700X - 4080  🙂.  The 7600 comes with a stock cooler that is quite good. You said you had a Dark Rock 2 but I do believe you mean Pure Rock 2, if it has the AM4 mounting bracket then it will work with AM5.
https://www.bequiet.com/en/press/30283

ah yeah you are right Pure Rock 2 😄 

The AM4 Cooler bracket/socket is compatible with the AM5? I needed to buy the adapter from LGA1151 to 1700 if i had gone Intel. You are very helpful man, so much better than google-ing everything 😄 

4 minutes ago, Ronnmann said:

ah yeah you are right Pure Rock 2 😄 

The AM4 Cooler bracket/socket is compatible with the AM5? I needed to buy the adapter from LGA1151 to 1700 if i had gone Intel. You are very helpful man, so much better than google-ing everything 😄 

Yep! Thanks to AMD’s efforts to keep the same dimensions between sockets AM4 and AM5, a conversion kit is not necessary.
Taken from BeQuiets website.**  My Noctua NH-D15 AM4 bracket worked without issues. Just remember that you need some extra thermal paste if you are reusing the Pure Rock 2 and you are good to go with the AM4 bracket 🙂
Haha, I'v been building computers since 2004 man!  I have built up some knowledge and I love to keep up with modern hardware too.  I started overclocking in 2007 with my Intel
q6600.  Glad I could help you! Hope I gave enough information so you could make up your own mind and decision on why I recommended AM5 and so on. Its important that you know as well.

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

Yep! Thanks to AMD’s efforts to keep the same dimensions between sockets AM4 and AM5, a conversion kit is not necessary.
Taken from BeQuiets website.**  My Noctua NH-D15 AM4 bracket worked without issues. Just remember that you need some extra thermal paste if you are reusing the Pure Rock 2 and you are good to go with the AM4 bracket 🙂
Haha, I'v been building computers since 2004 man!  I have built up some knowledge and I love to keep up with modern hardware too.  I started overclocking in 2007 with my Intel
q6600.

Geeez i had the Q6600 when i was growing up haha, okay i think all my questions have been awnsered. 

thank you very much for your help man, is there a thumbs up on your Profile and do i need to close this thead? Or can i leave it open if i got a few more questions?

5 minutes ago, Ronnmann said:

Geeez i had the Q6600 when i was growing up haha, okay i think all my questions have been awnsered. 

thank you very much for your help man, is there a thumbs up on your Profile and do i need to close this thead? Or can i leave it open if i got a few more questions?

Absolutely, no problem! That's why we have this forum, to help! 😄 You can leave it open so other people can see and maybe get some tips here as well.  You can always tag me here if you have questions or Direct Message me on my profile ( preferred ) Dont hesitate to reach out if you need anything.
If you want you can mark one of my answers as a solution as well, that helps out a bit.