[QUESTION][ADVICE][HELP]Samsung Galaxy A54 OR?

Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,
21 minutes ago, GrizzlyBear0 said:

They both cost the same kind of for me. so lets forget the $ for now and just choose between these 2 phones mostly depending on what's better which i cant really decide i kind of like the s21 cuz it has a better battery and a somewhat bigger screen and whatever  and i don't really care about SD card since i never use them

Between the S21 Ultra and the S22, the S21 Ultra is a lot better it seems. So if they're priced similarly, go for the S21 Ultra.

So my current phone is an Samsung Galaxy A51 but it's somewhat broken so i'm looking to buy a new phone and i cant decide on which to buy as i want my moneys worth and the Galaxy A54 popped up a lot in searches/top phones and such is it good/worth the money or is something else better for the same price? or like a bit more $ but worth it?

Here in Germany the Galaxy S22 is only about 30€ more expensive and is a much better phone.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

17 minutes ago, GrizzlyBear0 said:

So my current phone is an Samsung Galaxy A51 but it's somewhat broken so i'm looking to buy a new phone and i cant decide on which to buy as i want my moneys worth and the Galaxy A54 popped up a lot in searches/top phones and such is it good/worth the money or is something else better for the same price? or like a bit more $ but worth it?

the a54 is about 400 bucks on amazon but you can get a refurbed s21 ultra on amazon Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G, US Version, 128GB, Phantom Black for AT&T (Renewed) : Cell Phones & Accessories

you can also get the google pixel 7 Amazon.com: Google Pixel 7 5G (128GB, 8GB) 6.3", Android 13 (GSM + CDMA) 4G LTE Fully Unlocked (Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk) (w/Fast Car Charger, Obsidian) (Renewed) : Cell Phones & Accessories

or google pixel 6a Amazon.com: Google Pixel 6A 5G 128GB 6GB RAM Factory Unlocked (GSM Only | No CDMA - not Compatible with Verizon/Sprint) Global Version - Charcoal : Cell Phones & Accessories

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

22 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Here in Germany the Galaxy S22 is only about 30€ more expensive and is a much better phone.

OO good advice/idea! yeah i just saw the prices not much difference but how is the s22 better if u don't mind me asking like from your opinion/experience but yeah i can see my self that it's better but im just curious to know why u think it's better as well mostly to convince my self hahaha

Just now, GrizzlyBear0 said:

nteresting i've compared these 2 phones on  https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone2=11253&idPhone1=10596#diff-

Might go for the s21 ultra

use nanoreview instead Compare Samsung Galaxy S22 vs S21 Ultra: which is better? | NR (nanoreview.net)

the s21 ultra has better cameras and battery and a bigger screen while the s22 performs better in benchmarks and games

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

2 minutes ago, filpo said:

use nanoreview instead Compare Samsung Galaxy S22 vs S21 Ultra: which is better? | NR (nanoreview.net)

the s21 ultra has better cameras and battery and a bigger screen while the s22 performs better in benchmarks and games

Yeah i don't really care much about games on phones i'm a PC gamer kind of guy >.<

1 hour ago, GrizzlyBear0 said:

interesting i've compared these 2 phones on  https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone2=11253&idPhone1=10596#diff-

Might go for the s21 ultra

The S21 Ultra seems like the better overall phone, but it's another 100€ price jump compared to the S22. Your call.

1 hour ago, GrizzlyBear0 said:

OO good advice/idea! yeah i just saw the prices not much difference but how is the s22 better if u don't mind me asking like from your opinion/experience but yeah i can see my self that it's better but im just curious to know why u think it's better as well mostly to convince my self hahaha

The S22 supports wireless charging, has a better display and CPU, but on the other hand has a smaller battery and doesn't have a SD card slot. There are other differences but these are the biggest ones.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

36 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

The S21 Ultra seems like the better overall phone, but it's another 100€ price jump compared to the S22. Your call.

The S22 supports wireless charging, has a better display and CPU, but on the other hand has a smaller battery and doesn't have a SD card slot. There are other differences but these are the biggest ones.

They both cost the same kind of for me. so lets forget the $ for now and just choose between these 2 phones mostly depending on what's better which i cant really decide i kind of like the s21 cuz it has a better battery and a somewhat bigger screen and whatever  and i don't really care about SD card since i never use them

21 minutes ago, GrizzlyBear0 said:

Between the S21 Ultra and the S22, the S21 Ultra is a lot better it seems. So if they're priced similarly, go for the S21 Ultra.

6 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Lets say the price is now higher by 100-200$ are these still the best phones from the pick? or is there better?

I guess the S23 would win

My recommendation: when buying phone, don't just look at CPU/GPU. You're not going to use them to the max. If you play games, maybe, but for regular phone use flagship SoCs are not needed. Also, look at battery size. It's still portable device and you'll want a device that will last the longest on one charge. I'm simply refusing to buy phones with bad battery life and small size. Because, as years pass, battery will degrade over time. 5.000 mAh battery will last you longer than 4.000 mAh. Then look at the rest, NFC is must if you want to use Google Pay, 3.5mm if you use corded headphones, good camera if you like taking photos/videos.

Do yourself a favor, and save some 💶.

On 5/5/2023 at 8:18 PM, GrizzlyBear0 said:

Lets say the price is now higher by 100-200$ are these still the best phones from the pick? or is there better?

I guess the S23 would win

$100-$200 higher than the A54 or than the S21 Ultra / S22?

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to overwhelm you for a bit due to this rat-race of "smartphone" more like less than miniature tablets with cellular modems production.

If we don't slow down the train, it will just keep going!  Let's throw down some soil and clay here and there and buck this insane trend.

You said it yourself OP @GrizzlyBear0

you don't need games, just want a reliable phone.

You don't have a way to fully utilize a fancy octa-core high-speed 2.84Ghz chip with a Mali GPU.

You don't need any of that.

So why look for it?

https://gsmarena.com

has in the menu on the far left, phone finder

Put in the lowest cpu frequency

2GB - 3GB of ram, and an IPS LCD display of your preferred size and select the option for both an sd card and 3.5 mm 1/8" headphone jack.

Having an IPS display is seen as outdated and vintage by today's screwed up standards, but they are excellent screens that you don't have to research if they have visible PWM rates or not.  A majority of three years or older devices with OLED use 235Hz pwm rates, which can cause eye fatigue, regardless if you can see the flicker or not.  Devices maybe this year, or possibly a year ago, are beginning to use PWM rates as high as 18,000Hz, but you'll have to check to be sure.

What's good about an sdcard, is if you have a phone case that doesn't properly protect the screen, and that screen gets water or is unusable, you can practice good backup strategies.

Backup to the sd card for your vcard contacts file, pictures podcasts and whatever else.

If you want a durable device, built rugged without the need for an after market case, look into

CAT (catepillar) brand

Sonim

For saving money and getting a decent device, buy a used Sony Xperia X line or XZ, or another step in previous releases, their Z series.

They allow you and explain how on their website, to unlock the bootloader and run an operating system such LineageOS, which is developed from the same base of AOSP (Android open-source project) as all the other brands out there.

You can save significant amounts of money because people see used androids as "out dated" and "unusable" after just even three years after release.

Unlocking the bootloader, and installing LineageOS allows you to apply Google's own security improvements and newer Android versions onto the device, allowing to use new programs and provides more features than any manufacturer's based android system released to-date.

This way, you can buy a device that is only a few years young, which is destined to the landfill for no good reason, and keep it usable.

All thanks to open-source software.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.