How to safely move my PC

cwil1

I am moving to the house next door to mine. It is separated by a fence. I have the original box my case came in (phanteks p500a) with the foam. I was thinking about putting the PC into the original box and just walking it around the fence to the new house. But ive read that the GPU can cause the PCIE slot to bend and break when you move a PC. I don't really want to take out my GPU (its a MSI ventus 3x 3080 so pretty stout card). Will I be ok just not taking it out? The PC will be upright in the box with foam padding on the side.

21 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you're just walking next door, I wouldn't even bother with the box. Just don't shake or drop your computer and you should be fine. 

Should I be fine going up the steps with it? I gotta go up like 3-4 stairs to get to the front door lol.

1 minute ago, cwil1 said:

Should I be fine going up the steps with it? I gotta go up like 3-4 stairs to get to the front door lol.

I've gone up and down 2 flights before with really heavy card (6900 XT red devil and 980 Ti KP), no issues in systems. Just don't run and you'll be fine. 

1 hour ago, cwil1 said:

Yeah, man, it'll be just fine. I think what they mean is if you have to put it in a moving truck, or ship it, you want to either have more support, or remove a GPU, but just carrying it over for a few minutes should have no effect on anything. I carry my PC in and out of my office all the time. Never had any issues.

Lift with your knees, not your back.

Just hand-carrying your PC next door should be fine. It's not going to get tossed around like it would in shipping.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 5/3/2023 at 8:19 PM, cwil1 said:

Packaging for shipping is very important for two reason;

Cushioning from strong impacts - like dropping the system or something banging into it

Vibrations causing loosened components - like transporting your system on a cart on bumpy ground or traveling on a car/motorbike/etc.

You're carrying the system across 1 house. It won't be subject to any of those forces (unless you drop it). You're fine.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

You're just moving it next door?  Just carry it, don't run and don't trip.  It's fine.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade