How common is TV OLED burn-in when using as a monitor?

Hi P
Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,

It happens. 

On my C2 on my desk I have dark mode on everything, I move my windows around slightly from time to time, hidden task bar and I use a utility to throw up a basic OLED safe screensaver whenever I walk away for a short time (turning off the display is annoying). 

HDR model all the time but SDR brightness slider in Windows HDR settings to 30%. 

If it happens it happens. 🤷‍♂️ That's where i'm at with it. 

I feel like I'm being too extra careful for no reason, but I'd like to confirm with you guys, I'm doing the following:

• Enabled a bunch of OLED care options
  • Pixel cleaning once a day
  • Turn off the TV if I don't plan to use it for over 5 minutes
  • Turn it off for like 15 minutes after a few hours of usage

Am I being over the top or is this the type of stuff that I should do? I just don't want burn-in

It happens. 

On my C2 on my desk I have dark mode on everything, I move my windows around slightly from time to time, hidden task bar and I use a utility to throw up a basic OLED safe screensaver whenever I walk away for a short time (turning off the display is annoying). 

HDR model all the time but SDR brightness slider in Windows HDR settings to 30%. 

If it happens it happens. 🤷‍♂️ That's where i'm at with it. 

11 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I use a utility to throw up a basic OLED safe screensaver whenever I walk away for a short time (turning off the display is annoying).

Which utility is it?

1 minute ago, Hi P said:

Which utility is it?

WinXCorners 1.2b

https://apps.codigobit.info/2021/07/winxcorners-hot-corners-for-windows-10.html 

image.png.b53acf821d87cb6d64ecdadf684d7bfe.png

Yes, there is LG Companion and you can hook into that to blank the display but eh, I prefer this and it works. I use the default Windows "Mystify" screensaver. 

54 minutes ago, Hi P said:

I feel like I'm being too extra careful for no reason, but I'd like to confirm with you guys, I'm doing the following:

• Enabled a bunch of OLED care options
  • Turn off the TV if I don't plan to use it for over 5 minutes

Am I being over the top or is this the type of stuff that I should do? I just don't want burn-in

That's kinda why I'm not ready to use OLED as my main monitor yet. My C1 is on the side of the room and only use it when I need to. I still like to have cool wallpapers, taskbars and icons instead of empty screen. 

Also I don't take extreme precautions with my TV, but may vary between people as I don't use OLED for work nor browsing heavily. But i think you should not run manual pixel refresher as IIRC it will auto refresh quickly once every 4 hours (and a major refresh once every 2000 hours). Save for manual refresh as last resort if there's issues like image retention / burn-in. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

3 hours ago, Hi P said:

You don't need to do this. The TV manages it itself. Running it more than needed is not good.

3 hours ago, Hi P said:

This does absolutely nothing. OLED pixel wear is cumulative.

OLEDs don't really burn in. The pixels that are used more will wear out faster. There is nothing you can do about it other than not use the TV.

Do common sense stuff like turn off menu bars and HUDs. You should try to have the entire panel used evenly, but there is only so much you can do.

10 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

WinXCorners 1.2b

https://apps.codigobit.info/2021/07/winxcorners-hot-corners-for-windows-10.html 

image.png.b53acf821d87cb6d64ecdadf684d7bfe.png

Yes, there is LG Companion and you can hook into that to blank the display but eh, I prefer this and it works. I use the default Windows "Mystify" screensaver. 

The software i use is Color Control. It allows you to use the TV more like a real monitor, with auto power on and off when you power on your computer, auto power off when the computer turns of the screens from inactivity or when entering sleep etc. As a bonus you can also enter the service menu without the special remote.

9 hours ago, BuzzingBee said:

That's kinda why I'm not ready to use OLED as my main monitor yet. My C1 is on the side of the room and only use it when I need to. I still like to have cool wallpapers, taskbars and icons instead of empty screen. 

Also I don't take extreme precautions with my TV, but may vary between people as I don't use OLED for work nor browsing heavily. But i think you should not run manual pixel refresher as IIRC it will auto refresh quickly once every 4 hours (and a major refresh once every 2000 hours). Save for manual refresh as last resort if there's issues like image retention / burn-in. 

I'm pretty careless when it comes to my C2 main monitor. I don't hide the task bar, i don't have a black wallpaper etc. I even disabled the automatic global dimming where similar content gets darker over time. But i do have my PC turn off all monitors when i'm afk for 10 minutes and i'm running HDR on 24/7 with the Windows conversion slider at 5, which means SDR content is 100 nits. So far i have no burn in, not even temporary image retention - even after playing hundreds of hours of the same game with static UI (lately Terraria for example).

I think as long as you let the TV do it's self-service like pixel cleaning and the pixel shifting and leave the logo dimming enabled, you shouldn't have to worry about it that much. That's as long as it's a free-time display. If you also do work 8 hours every day then it's another story entirely and in that case i'd not recommend OLED either way.

That's basically how i use my OLED displays. The C9 i'm using since May 2020 (mostly just as a TV, but also as my main monitor for a few months) and the C2 i've been using since August 2022 (exclusively as my main monitor) haven't shown any issues or burn in yet.

It's very hard to say how common burn-in really is. Like with everything, people are way more likely to write about a problem. So just going by how many reddit complaints exist isn't a good way to tell.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.