Wierd problem with high Cpu utilization, but low Gpu utilization.

I'm running an i5-12400f with a Rtx 4070 founders edition. I've been running some games and I've seen a pattern in which 1 of the cpu cores is running at 90%+ utilization, while the others are around 20-50%, and maybe 1 being at 70%. And when that's happening, my gpu likes to stay around 60-70% utilazation. As a result, I get around 60-80 fps (this is in No Mans Sky). I'm curious If I am being bottle necked by my cpu?

Update: I tested doom, and all my cores were pretty equal in percentage, 50-70%, and my gpu was 97-99%.

24 minutes ago, I eat limes often said:

I'm running an i5-12400f with a Rtx 4070 founders edition. I've been running some games and I've seen a pattern in which 1 of the cpu cores is running at 90%+ utilization, while the others are around 20-50%, and maybe 1 being at 70%. And when that's happening, my gpu likes to stay around 60-70% utilazation. As a result, I get around 60-80 fps (this is in No Mans Sky). I'm curious If I am being bottle necked by my cpu?

You have a top processor and graphics card running a five year old game that you feel is being bottlenecked.

Please list all your computer specs.

(Edited)

no mention of screen the resolution or the settings being used.

nothing is at 100% so I do not expect bottlenecks to be an issue.

EDIT NMS has always been quite CPU intensive but i am thinking your settings are not optimized.

42 minutes ago, silencer12 said:

You have a top processor and graphics card running a five year old game that you feel is being bottlenecked.

Please list all your computer specs.

(Edited)

40 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

no mention of screen the resolution or the settings being used.

nothing is at 100% so I do not expect bottlenecks to be an issue.

EDIT NMS has always been quite CPU intensive but i am thinking your settings are not optimized.

I've also tried Minecraft Rtx and the cpus are around 20-50% utilization, and gpu is 60-75%.

-Specs List-

Cpu: i5-12400f

Gpu: Rtx 4070 stock

Ram: 32gb of ddr4 3200mhz

MB: b660 Aorus Master ddr4

Psu: 850w Evga platinum.

Resolution: 1440p

Settings: Ultra

FPS seems to be the missing factor here...GPU utilization, CPU utilization (ideally one monitors both the highest used single core % along with w/e it tells you the total % used is) and FPS.  
I really can't speak to those games from experience, but there definitely is a bunch of possibilities: game engine limited due to age -> game is an optimized mess -> Nvidia global settings vs. game settings conflict, or frame-cap on either -> (I had another, but can't recall it for the life of me).  

If happen to use DSR/DLDSR (seems like you could with that 4070, 4k render -> 1440p downscale AA) I'd highly recommend checking to make sure there's no scaling conflicting with that or overriding it in the game settings...like DLSS enabled will totally override that downscale and give you the upscale instead (with low cpu+gpu usage, and not great FPS....thanks Nvidia Experience 'Optimize'.)

well I just tested my copy of NMS on a 34" IPS 3440 1440p 144hz.

my settings were set to ultra and i locked the frame rate at 144

in Space whizzing around stable at 144.

whizzing over planets etc jumps around a bit between 120 144 fps landing and running around it can drop to 80 fps depending on how much is actually happening on screen.

Just drop settings to high instead of Ultra and it is greatly improved with regard to FPS and i saw next to zero difference in high or ultra.

I am using a 3080 10GB LHR together with an AMD 5900x

I wonder why do people always play doom to test fps?

Anyways, Download Warzone 2.0 (free on steam), Apex Legend, PUBG and check the usage there. 

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w