Getting the best airflow from a not so airflowy budget case...

Hi,

I have a budget case that I bought a while back for a build, the Aerocool Bolt. Surprisingly not, the airflow ain't that great, but at the time I didn't even consider any of that. I stuck two Noctua intake fans on the front of the case, and there's already one exhaust fan at the rear end. There's an acrylic side panel, should I drill holes into it for better airflow? Thanks!

Here's a link to the case; https://aerocool.io/product/bolt/

21 minutes ago, JoeThePizzaGuy said:

Hi,

I have a budget case that I bought a while back for a build, the Aerocool Bolt. Surprisingly not, the airflow ain't that great, but at the time I didn't even consider any of that. I stuck two Noctua intake fans on the front of the case, and there's already one exhaust fan at the rear end. There's an acrylic side panel, should I drill holes into it for better airflow? Thanks!

You can put one or two fans at the bottom of the case blowing air up into the GPU / Case. What kind of CPU cooler do you use? AIO or air?
Are your components running too hot, is that why you want more cooling?
image.thumb.png.b08949bb6109f6bf11257504be005026.png

15 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

You can put one or two fans at the bottom of the case blowing air up into the GPU / Case. What kind of CPU cooler do you use? AIO or air?
image.thumb.png.b08949bb6109f6bf11257504be005026.png

I use a ID-COOLING SE-214-XT cooler, and I attached another cooling fan to make it dual fan cooling. I have these fans facing the way that it's an exhaust, should I change this?

I want to improve my cooling so that I can OC my CPU (Ryzen 5 3600), the temps seem to be wack on a synthetic load like Cinebench R23, around 95c+ but below 100c but during gaming it's generally lower. 

47 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

IMHO, just 1, and not the one ontop of PSU.

If there's an actual intake holes on the bottom  / front of the case that is...

edit : From what I've seen on their website... seems the only intake holes on the bottom of the case is only for PSU.

1 hour ago, JoeThePizzaGuy said:

Hi,

28 minutes ago, JoeThePizzaGuy said:

I use a ID-COOLING SE-214-XT cooler, and I attached another cooling fan to make it dual fan cooling. I have these fans facing the way that it's an exhaust, should I change this?

I want to improve my cooling so that I can OC my CPU (Ryzen 5 3600), the temps seem to be wack on a synthetic load like Cinebench R23, around 95c+ but below 100c but during gaming it's generally lower. 

First... make sure there's a proper sized intake holes for your front fans :x

If there aren't any, the front fans you put gonna be useless.

As much as I want to check it myself, kinda hard to find proper documentation of your pc case.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

9 minutes ago, JoeThePizzaGuy said:

Are the two fans both blowing the same direction?

I.E. BOTH blowing towards the back of the case?

95*C+ is pretty high, for a 3600 (not even a 3600X or a power-hungry 3950X, etc).

Does your temperatures drop significantly if the side acrylic panel is completely removed?

Given how the front panel is just...nearly closed off.

I don't think those 2x Noctua fans are doing much at the front.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Based on what being shown in that vid... pretty sure you don't even have proper front intake holes.

(CMIIW, you're the one who have the case and can check directly afterall)

IMHO your best bet if you want to keep using the case is to grab a drill & a step drill bit, then start drilling holes on atleast front cover, and if that's still not enough for you, the side panel as well.

If you don't want to do that (drilling holes), your best bet for intake is your rear exhaust holes, probably PCIE bracket as well if your GPU isn't thicc.

Then set CPU cooler fan direction toward the front of the case, while putting 1 exhaust fan on the top front.

But yeah... if you cant fit a fan on the rear PCIE bracket, your GPU ain't gonna be happy.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

33 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

IMHO, just 1, and not the one ontop of PSU.

If there's an actual intake holes on the bottom  / front of the case that is...

edit : From what I've seen on their website... seems the only intake holes on the bottom of the case is only for PSU.

First... make sure there's a proper sized intake holes for your front fans :x

If there aren't any, the front fans you put gonna be useless.

As much as I want to check it myself, kinda hard to find proper documentation of your pc case.

It appears there's no intake holes on the front, only the front cover has a sliver/gap that isn't probably sufficient. I had to take off the front cover to install the two fans, I'll attach a photo of the installation. 

IMG_20230502_235837579.jpg

36 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Are the two fans both blowing the same direction?

I.E. BOTH blowing towards the back of the case?

95*C+ is pretty high, for a 3600 (not even a 3600X or a power-hungry 3950X, etc).

Does your temperatures drop significantly if the side acrylic panel is completely removed?

Given how the front panel is just...nearly closed off.

I don't think those 2x Noctua fans are doing much at the front.

Yes, the two CPU fans are facing towards the back of the case. 

I did see some improvement without the acrylic side panel and the front cover off compared to with it on. But if I take both of them off, then that's going to be a dust hazard.

26 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Based on what being shown in that vid... pretty sure you don't even have proper front intake holes.

(CMIIW, you're the one who have the case and can check directly afterall)

IMHO your best bet if you want to keep using the case is to grab a drill & a step drill bit, then start drilling holes on atleast front cover, and if that's still not enough for you, the side panel as well.

If you don't want to do that (drilling holes), your best bet for intake is your rear exhaust holes, probably PCIE bracket as well if your GPU isn't thicc.

Then set CPU cooler fan direction toward the front of the case, while putting 1 exhaust fan on the top front.

But yeah... if you cant fit a fan on the rear PCIE bracket, your GPU ain't gonna be happy.

My GPU is a PowerColor RX 580, there's not much space. Should I remove one of my CPU cooler fans and install it at the top as an exhaust? 

5 minutes ago, JoeThePizzaGuy said:

My GPU is a PowerColor RX 580, there's not much space. Should I remove one of my CPU cooler fans and install it at the top as an exhaust? 

Just move your front fans ?

Without intake holes at front they're pretty much useless in their current place.

Unless you are fine running your PC without it's front cover. If so, then yea the noctua can stay where they are.
In fact, everything can stay where they currently are if you use this method.

Refresh before you reply

5 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Just move your front fans ?

Without intake holes at front they're pretty much useless in their current place.

Unless you are fine running your PC without it's front cover. If so, then yea the noctua can stay where they are.
In fact, everything can stay where they currently are if you use this method.

Hmm. I'm thinking of removing the front cover permanently (rip RGB) and covering the area with some dust mesh. Maybe the side panel as well.  

6 minutes ago, JoeThePizzaGuy said:

Hmm. I'm thinking of removing the front cover permanently (rip RGB) and covering the area with some dust mesh. Maybe the side panel as well.  

You can cover it with dust mesh yeah, just make sure your intake fans have good air pressure, & the dust mesh is taut or it might be pulled in by the fans and hit the fan blades.

Pretty sure that removing just the front cover gonna be enough to cool your system.

Refresh before you reply

Just now, Poinkachu said:

You can cover it with dust mesh yeah, just make sure your intake fans have good air pressure.

Pretty sure that removing just the front cover gonna be enough to cool your system.

I think I'll make the compromise of keeping the front case on when it's not in use as to keep out dust, and remove it when I'm using it. Probably the best way for now. Thanks for your suggestions! 

39 minutes ago, JoeThePizzaGuy said:

Yes, the two CPU fans are facing towards the back of the case. 

I did see some improvement without the acrylic side panel and the front cover off compared to with it on. But if I take both of them off, then that's going to be a dust hazard.

I'm not telling you to remove the side / front panels forever.

Just temporarily to run some temperature tests, and to verify poor airflow is the problem...and HOW MUCH of a problem.

How much improvement did you see?

95*C --> ?? *C

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]

• Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

15 hours ago, -rascal- said:

I'm not telling you to remove the side / front panels forever.

Just temporarily to run some temperature tests, and to verify poor airflow is the problem...and HOW MUCH of a problem.

How much improvement did you see?

95*C --> ?? *C

Oh wow, I'm shocked. I just ran Cinebench R23 again without the front cover and I got a max of around 86c. That's compared to like 95c with the front cover on. 

Update: Removal of the front cover and side panel and tweaking all the fans and setting them to PWM and Smart Control on has lead to a further reduction of CPU temps to 78c on full synthetic load of Cinebench R23.

So 95c to 78c, a 17c temp reduction. Thanks everyone for your help! 

8 hours ago, JoeThePizzaGuy said:

Oh wow, I'm shocked. I just ran Cinebench R23 again without the front cover and I got a max of around 86c. That's compared to like 95c with the front cover on. 

4 hours ago, JoeThePizzaGuy said:

Update: Removal of the front cover and side panel and tweaking all the fans and setting them to PWM and Smart Control on has lead to a further reduction of CPU temps to 78c on full synthetic load of Cinebench R23.

So 95c to 78c, a 17c temp reduction. Thanks everyone for your help! 

So yes, the case have very poor airflow.

Freeing up the front ONLY drops the temperature by 9*C.

I'm wondering what happens if you free up the side ONLY.

If removing the side gives a... 11*C drop, then that is maybe something you can do.

Replace the side panel with mesh or ventilation might give an enough of a temperature drop, until you can replace the chassis/case.

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932