Best multi-condition smart home trigger ecosystem (GHome, Alexa, Smarthings)

Go to solution Solved by BiotechBen,
1 hour ago, SpeedBird999 said:

My problem is that two different routines (one "when X device leaves, turn off", two "when Y hour, turn on") don't talk to each other.

I cannot add more "triggers" to a single routine apparently, if there's a time as a trigger you can't also add position.

Just tried this setup with time, and it worked, so should work as well for "at sunset" and with "away" instead of home.

Screenshot_20230502_181205_Google.jpg

Hello everybody

I have a slight issue with my current home automation setup (which is using Google Home) and i wondered if by switching ecosystem it might be solved.

The issues is this: i have various triggers that turn off and on various devices (smart plugs and smart lights). Some of these triggers are position based, others time base.

The problem is that Google Home doesn't allow the triggers to cross-reference each other: for example, i have a certain light come on at sunset. Then if a smartphone leaves the house, the Home mode gets turned to "away" and the light gets turned off. All fine and cool. But if the smartphone leaves the house and doesn't return before the set time for the other trigger, the trigger happens regardless...so even if the scenario is "away", the light still turns on.

I think this is incredibly dumb programming by Google, and I honestly hope I'm just clueless and there's actually a setting to prevent this from happening.

If there's not...does any of you folks use Samsung Smarthings or Alexa as a "smart-home ecosystem" and know if these two allow "triggers to talk to each-other"? Or if they have a hierarchy, meaning if a "higher grade" trigger is on (home mode away) all the others get disabled? If yes, i would gladly switchover all my smart-home stuff to such ecosystem (all devices should be compatible).

Thanks anybody in advance.

Home assistant.

It's the only not garbage smart home thing in existance right now.

You may be able to add a custom command to the routine, something along the lines of "if device is away, turn off (insert device here)". 

I ran into an issue a bit ago where instead of the "Soft Jazz" playlist in my Spotify being selected, it would select a random soft jazz playlist, so I had to add something unique to it so it would play MY playlist instead of just some random one.

12 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

You may be able to add a custom command to the routine, something along the lines of "if device is away, turn off (insert device here)". 

I ran into an issue a bit ago where instead of the "Soft Jazz" playlist in my Spotify being selected, it would select a random soft jazz playlist, so I had to add something unique to it so it would play MY playlist instead of just some random one.

My problem is that two different routines (one "when X device leaves, turn off", two "when Y hour, turn on") don't talk to each other.

I cannot add more "triggers" to a single routine apparently, if there's a time as a trigger you can't also add position.

1 hour ago, SpeedBird999 said:

Just tried this setup with time, and it worked, so should work as well for "at sunset" and with "away" instead of home.

13 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

It seems to work! Bit jerry rig having it go trough Google Assistant but hey if it works it works.

Thanks a lot!

2 hours ago, SpeedBird999 said:

It seems to work! Bit jerry rig having it go trough Google Assistant but hey if it works it works.

Thanks a lot!

Be sure to mark the post as solved 🙂