I have 2 grand for an upgrade, Is my list future proofed?

Budget (including currency):  2000 ish USD, most likely not going to spend that much but just in case

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Any game i feel 

Other details   here is my current build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tg6Jhk 

here is the build im planning to makehttps://pcpartpicker.com/list/xt4pfv 

For gaming 5800x3D is pretty much the best CPU for am4. 5950x does not make any sense for gaming. 

You dont need a new motherboard, just Bios update it and you can directly use the 5800x3D no problem.

You dont need new ram, wont affect performance that much.

How much are you  paying for the 3080ti? 

Future proofing is a bad concept since its just impossible to predict where things will go with games. 

18 minutes ago, obese_microwave2 said:

Budget (including currency):  2000 ish USD, most likely not going to spend that much but just in case

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Any game i feel 

Other details   here is my current build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tg6Jhk 

here is the build im planning to makehttps://pcpartpicker.com/list/xt4pfv 

There is little point in swapping the memory for something marginally faster.

If gaming is the primary use, the 5800X3D might be a better choice.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Build makes little sense.

You are getting a 5950x AND new board. Then why even stay on am4?

Same with memory that is barely an upgrade.

A 3080 ti is expensive and not a good deal.

I simply advice the following:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2FD2Xy

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($325.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Radeon RX 6950 XT 16 GB Video Card  ($619.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1095.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-01 18:40 EDT-0400

Don't need to spend more or make pointless changes and as a bonus it's a better gaming pc to boot.

12 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GpYdKp

A cpu gpu and psu upgrade is all thats needed

4090 fits in the budget btw

As for ram tuning thats irrelevant with x3d, just clock the cpu to 4.7 with 104 bclk

BLCK OC stuff for non PC Enthusiasts is Terrible advice, not only is BLCK OC stuff motherboard dependent, it can cause more issues then the bit of performance you get for it. Its one of those Do at your own risk, but dont tell others to do it without telling them about the risks.

4090 is also only useful if you want to do 4k Gaming, for 1080p/1440p it doesnt really make all that much sense. 

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

For gaming 5800x3D is pretty much the best CPU for am4. 5950x does not make any sense for gaming. 

You dont need a new motherboard, just Bios update it and you can directly use the 5800x3D no problem.

You dont need new ram, wont affect performance that much.

How much are you  paying for the 3080ti? 

Future proofing is a bad concept since its just impossible to predict where things will go with games. 

im upgrading most of this for the looks and performance (the 3080 ti will be like 800$)

27 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GpYdKp

A cpu gpu and psu upgrade is all thats needed

4090 fits in the budget btw

As for ram tuning thats irrelevant with x3d, just clock the cpu to 4.7 with 104 bclk

i personally dont want to spend more then 1k on the gpu, im not looking for a 4090 right now

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Build makes little sense.

You are getting a 5950x AND new board. Then why even stay on am4?

Same with memory that is barely an upgrade.

A 3080 ti is expensive and not a good deal.

I simply advice the following:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2FD2Xy

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($325.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Radeon RX 6950 XT 16 GB Video Card  ($619.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1095.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-01 18:40 EDT-0400

Don't need to spend more or make pointless changes and as a bonus it's a better gaming pc to boot.

i could go ddr5, nzxt dosent make an Am5 board yet and i really like its looks. the 3080 ti i can get for like 800$

1 hour ago, brob said:

There is little point in swapping the memory for something marginally faster.

If gaming is the primary use, the 5800X3D might be a better choice.

i like the looks of it and my current memory is broken and dosent go past 2400mhz( ive tried everything trust me, i got the wrong one shipped to me i believe) 

Just now, obese_microwave2 said:

i like the looks of it and my current memory is broken and dosent go past 2400mhz( ive tried everything trust me, i got the wrong one shipped to me i believe) 

Sounds like your board doesnt like 4x8 configs. Its just 160$ which is really overpriced for 32 GB DDR4, that goes for around 80-95$ now.

2 minutes ago, obese_microwave2 said:

im upgrading most of this for the looks and performance (the 3080 ti will be like 800$)

3080ti is a TERRIBLE buy at 800$. You are much better off buying a 4070 for 600$ at matching the performance, or a 7900XT for 800$ or less, or buy a different used GPU for about that. 3080ti Used go for around 500-550$

10 minutes ago, obese_microwave2 said:

i could go ddr5, nzxt dosent make an Am5 board yet and i really like its looks. the 3080 ti i can get for like 800$

At 800$ the 3080ti is horrible value.

The 6950xt is right there and faster for less. Also the 3080ti only has 12gb of vram and for a 800$ card that is just bad.

The 4070 is also a better card for less. The 7900xt is also right there at 800$ and the absolute winner for the price no sweat.

If you are spending money on going new ram and all might as well make a proper gaming pc.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BFjnY9

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  ($318.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: NZXT N5 Z690 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1393.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-01 20:02 EDT-0400

Motherboard is far too expensive but you want the looks of it so well yeah pay up basically :p. I chose the cheaper z690. Bios update it with the flasback option and it supports the 13600k.

Also the 13600k is a better gaming cpu than the 5950x.

15 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

BLCK OC stuff for non PC Enthusiasts is Terrible advice, not only is BLCK OC stuff motherboard dependent, it can cause more issues then the bit of performance you get for it. Its one of those Do at your own risk, but dont tell others to do it without telling them about the risks.

4090 is also only useful if you want to do 4k Gaming, for 1080p/1440p it doesnt really make all that much sense. 

What risks?

Theres literally no solid proof, obviously anyone with half a brain knows damage isnt possible but i have not seen any proof of corruption either, just dummies saying that its a "well known fact" while theres quite literally no proof when i search it up

So give me some proof to disprove bclk being 100% safe and ill belive it when given concrete evidence, otherwise bclk is 100% safe and theres no proof against it, heck theres evidence in favor since ive seen someone on this forum running 103bclk and they seem to be just fine, not to mention me running 120 pcie freq on x58 (for raising bclk higher) and thats still completely fine

so its a no proof vs abit of proof, ofc the one with proof is correct even if its only abit

So gimme solid proof of bclk corruption so ill see and belive for myself, though make sure it isnt related to ram oc cause a particularly unstable ram oc can cause corruption which i have seen myself and theres video proof in one of buildzoids videos where he ruins his os trying to get a high freq validation though it is rare and you gotta be pretty damn unlucky

14 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Sounds like your board doesnt like 4x8 configs. Its just 160$ which is really overpriced for 32 GB DDR4, that goes for around 80-95$ now.

3080ti is a TERRIBLE buy at 800$. You are much better off buying a 4070 for 600$ at matching the performance, or a 7900XT for 800$ or less, or buy a different used GPU for about that. 3080ti Used go for around 500-550$

i was wrong about the price its like 500-600 ish 

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

What risks?

Theres literally no solid proof, obviously anyone with half a brain knows damage isnt possible but i have not seen any proof of corruption either, just dummies saying that its a "well known fact" while theres quite literally no proof when i search it up

So give me some proof to disprove bclk being 100% safe and ill belive it when given concrete evidence, otherwise bclk is 100% safe and theres no proof against it, heck theres evidence in favor since ive seen someone on this forum running 103bclk and they seem to be just fine, not to mention me running 120 pcie freq on x58 (for raising bclk higher) and thats still completely fine

so its a no proof vs abit of proof, ofc the one with proof is correct even if its only abit

So gimme solid proof of bclk corruption so ill see and belive for myself, though make sure it isnt related to ram oc cause a particularly unstable ram oc can cause corruption which i have seen myself and theres video proof in one of buildzoids videos where he ruins his os trying to get a high freq validation though it is rare and you gotta be pretty damn unlucky

If you are this ignorant to what exactly goes wrong with BLCK Overclocking, you either have 0 experience in fixing hardware and troubleshooting this stuff, or you did it once and nothing went wrong so it MUST be correct. Whenever you do stuff like this, it will introduce instability, and that alone turns people away from doing it. 

BLCK Effects WAY more then just cpu clock speeds, it effects everything connected to it, from Sata, USB controllers, and as youve mentioned, corruption is possible. Generally corrupt windows is pretty hard with BLCK, its more often then SATA and USB will simply stop working, amongst other unstable issues. If you dont use SATA drives and only NVME drives, and you do enough testing that your USB arent broken when doing it, it can be helpful. But again, this goes well beyond what most end users are going to want to do. Its not simple, and most people wont just want to blindly do something like this.

Again its a Enthusiast thing to do, not a general every day user. Its something you just dont tell them to do blankly like enabling XMP, its a bit more complicated and requires a better understanding of what to look for and how to do certain things. 

6 minutes ago, obese_microwave2 said:

4000mhz 8gbx4 is 160$, https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232466 how bad is that compared to the other brands

Dont use 4000 mhz ram, especially 4x8 kits. Just get a 2x16 32 GB kit, 3200 or 3600 mhz depending on pricing. Will be fine with that.

10 minutes ago, obese_microwave2 said:

i was wrong about the price its like 500-600 ish 

Yeah 600 still has the better 6950xt.

As for 4000mhz ram don't bother with it at cl18 it's not faster than cl 3600mhz ram and bonus on ryzen is that you are now beyond it's memory clock which makes 4000mhz ram perform worse than 3600 because 3600 runs 1:1 with it's memory clock.

Either way don't get am4. Intel 13th gen is very much so in budget and faster.

Hell worst case go am5 but don't do this bad upgrade to am4

31 minutes ago, obese_microwave2 said:

nzxt doesn’t make boards at all, they take shitty boards from i think asrock? and put a pretty skin on them and overprice em. Most of NZXT’s offerings are garbage and/or extremely overpriced.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah 600 still has the better 6950xt.

As for 4000mhz ram don't bother with it at cl18 it's not faster than cl 3600mhz ram and bonus on ryzen is that you are now beyond it's memory clock which makes 4000mhz ram perform worse than 3600 because 3600 runs 1:1 with it's memory clock.

Either way don't get am4. Intel 13th gen is very much so in budget and faster.

Hell worst case go am5 but don't do this bad upgrade to am4

if i go am5 i would get this ram https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-5200MHz-Desktop-KF552C40BBK2-32/dp/B0BZJ4VR6J?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A9U9KYQU615N1&th=1 

this motherboard https://nzxt.com/product/n7-b650e# 

and i dont know what cpu to get.

6 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

nzxt doesn’t make boards at all, they take shitty boards from i think asrock? and put a pretty skin on them and overprice em. Most of NZXT’s offerings are garbage and/or extremely overpriced.

i like the pretty :"(

theres not many good looking white boards out there to choose from

19 minutes ago, obese_microwave2 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rh4pfv i made a new list that is more balenced

14 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Biostar. Atleast its their non-ied high end stuff that should run 5800X3D no problem but you have to deal with their shitty BIOS instead.

But yeah OP i highly dont like your plan even for aesthetic purpose. A lot of money went nowhere if its just for games, and i agreed with @jaslion sentiment that you should just do platform upgrade if youre going to ditch the old already white board. B550m pro4 should be fine with 5800X3D.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($325.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53 RGB 52.44 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Corsair MP600 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Corsair) 
Video Card: ASRock Taichi OC Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card  ($1129.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H5 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Case Fan: NZXT F120 RGB 50.18 CFM 120 mm Fan  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case Fan: NZXT F140 RGB 89.48 CFM 140 mm Fan  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Custom: Nzxt RGB & Fan Controller ($0.00)
Total: $1705.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-01 20:50 EDT-0400

For platform swap:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13500 2.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  ($247.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53 RGB 52.44 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M MORTAR MAX WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Corsair MP600 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Corsair) 
Video Card: ASRock Taichi OC Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card  ($1129.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H5 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Case Fan: NZXT F120 RGB 50.18 CFM 120 mm Fan  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Custom: Nzxt RGB & Fan Controller ($0.00)
Total: $1787.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-01 20:52 EDT-0400

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

27 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

If you are this ignorant to what exactly goes wrong with BLCK Overclocking, you either have 0 experience in fixing hardware and troubleshooting this stuff, or you did it once and nothing went wrong so it MUST be correct. Whenever you do stuff like this, it will introduce instability, and that alone turns people away from doing it. 

BLCK Effects WAY more then just cpu clock speeds, it effects everything connected to it, from Sata, USB controllers, and as youve mentioned, corruption is possible. Generally corrupt windows is pretty hard with BLCK, its more often then SATA and USB will simply stop working, amongst other unstable issues. If you dont use SATA drives and only NVME drives, and you do enough testing that your USB arent broken when doing it, it can be helpful. But again, this goes well beyond what most end users are going to want to do. Its not simple, and most people wont just want to blindly do something like this.

Again its a Enthusiast thing to do, not a general every day user. Its something you just dont tell them to do blankly like enabling XMP, its a bit more complicated and requires a better understanding of what to look for and how to do certain things. 

Its literally just changing 3 values, bclk, cpu multi, and ram multi. i dont even consider myself an experienced overclocker, but im sure the only reason i actually do this shit properly mostly without fail is straight up fearlessness, im not scared of something that is unlikely to happen

IMG_20230502_074809.thumb.jpg.c0de49c485910d7f38d39f2e4eab3107.jpg

And this is on the conservative side too but thats because im trying to sell and this cpu is trash =p

If i wasnt trying to sell maybe id max the ram voltage out to 2.46v but i dont think ill strap a fan on the rams for this sell pc so ill just put a sanity limit of 2v so it doesnt destabilize or something

I do agree knowledge comes into play here cause i actually experience this shit myself and not fully relying on information on the internet that leads to performance nuking bullshit like 1.35v vtt max or 0.5v ∆ between vtt and vdimm, both complete utter bullshit. Though i will consider dialing down the uncore if it lowers volt substantially cause i prefer running efficiently with decent v/f, maybe get the temps under control

But i simply cannot comprehend how stupid you have to be to not have the ability to change 3 simple values. The bclk methodology is literally just raise bclk till it stops booting, lower bclk till it boots again, maybe add a .1 - .5 barrier between no post and post, prime95 largeffts in windows, fail = lower bclk till it stops failing, same thing for weird issues like usb dying or anything like that, lower bclk till it stops dying and add a tiny bit of buffer to ensure stability. Its really that simple, in text it looks complicated but irl its extremely simple

5 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Biostar. Atleast its their non-ied high end stuff that should run 5800X3D no problem but you have to deal with their shitty BIOS instead.

ah yeah biostar thats it