The games I play when recording with obs on second monitor have fps drop

Hello!

I have a problem, when I record on Obs my game has little fps drops which are pretty noticeable. I play on my primary monitor which is 165hz and the obs itself is recording the primary monitor but on my second monitor, which is 60hz. In every game, the fps drops occur. And when I hit stop recording then lags wanish.

The file is here: https://obsproject.com/logs/ 9IpVaMzTJTAOACeW

Please help me! I have suitable hardware too, TX 3070 ti. Ryzen 5 5600x with 16gb 3200mhz ram.

this is normal. when you are recording you are diverting some of your system resorses to the recording

Are you using NVENC (Nvidia hardware encoding) to record the gameplay footage?

Are you saying that the dips only happen when running a game on the secondary monitor, not the primary?

13 minutes ago, Scatard said:

Hello!

I have a problem, when I record on Obs my game has little fps drops which are pretty noticeable. I play on my primary monitor which is 165hz and the obs itself is recording the primary monitor but on my second monitor, which is 60hz. In every game, the fps drops occur. And when I hit stop recording then lags wanish.

The file is here: https://obsproject.com/logs/ 9IpVaMzTJTAOACeW

Please help me! I have suitable hardware too, TX 3070 ti. Ryzen 5 5600x with 16gb 3200mhz ram.

as said already, having more than one program running splits resources. this can cause stutters and fps drops, even just watching youtube. this is why you often see steamers build smaller, semi cheaper computers simply to stream the game on the main pc. 

if the stutters are a big enough issue, build another pc

28 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Are you using NVENC (Nvidia hardware encoding) to record the gameplay footage?

Are you saying that the dips only happen when running a game on the secondary monitor, not the primary?

Yes, all that you said.

1 minute ago, Scatard said:

Yes, all that you said.

Why are gaming on your secondary monitor? It seems like the easiest solution here would be to simply always game and stream from the primary monitor if it doesn't cause issues.

1 hour ago, Tomberry said:

this is normal. when you are recording you are diverting some of your system resorses to the recording

thing is OBS does that way more often than Nvidia Shadowplay (in my experience, Shadowplay uses just way less resources)  so the question is *why*?

18 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Why are gaming on your secondary monitor? It seems like the easiest solution here would be to simply always game and stream from the primary monitor if it doesn't cause issues.

True, true, using a second monitor with different refresh rate comes with all kinds of issues,  which in turn makes OBS very impractical,  you don't even know if you're actually recording / streaming in most cases without a second monitor (Nvidia Shadowplay has on screen icons to show its recording or not, its not rocket surgery) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 5/1/2023 at 9:41 PM, YoungBlade said:

Sorry, I don't think you understand. So I play games on my MAIN monitor while using obs on my second monitor to stream the main monitor, I use it that way because I can see in the preview how it all looks.

1 minute ago, Scatard said:

Sorry, I don't think you understand. So I play games on my MAIN monitor while using obs on my second monitor to stream the main monitor, I use it that way because I can see in the preview how it all looks.

Okay, that makes more sense. My original question was "Are you saying that the dips only happen when running a game on the secondary monitor, not the primary?" because I was trying to assess if I understood this. I stream myself, and use 3 monitors for things like this, so I understand the concept. Streaming without a secondary monitor is difficult to say the least.

So to clarify something else: are the dips happening in the game, with the stream, or both?

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

Okay, that makes more sense. My original question was "Are you saying that the dips only happen when running a game on the secondary monitor, not the primary?" because I was trying to assess if I understood this. I stream myself, and use 3 monitors for things like this, so I understand the concept. Streaming without a secondary monitor is difficult to say the least.

So to clarify something else: are the dips happening in the game, with the stream, or both?

So, on stream, everything is ok. But when I play the game it feels like I am playing in 60 hz not 165 hz. The game is choppy.

4 minutes ago, Scatard said:

So, on stream, everything is ok. But when I play the game it feels like I am playing in 60 hz not 165 hz. The game is choppy.

Have you tried capping to a multiple of the streaming framerate? So 120fps/Hz? That usually gives a better experience for both the streamer and the viewers.

This might be problem in with how OBS acts with "odd" refresh rates. So 120Hz would probably work better, but 165Hz is issue (of what I have read). Latest posts about are from couple years ago, so might be fixed, but no harm on trying?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv