Could Nintendo's approche to locking save game data be illegal in some countries?

Waifu4Life

Could Nintendo's approche to locking save game data be illegal in some countries?

Before we get started, to all Nintendo fanboys, please restrain yourself from replying. I’ve known this company since the 80’ and I’ve been through every console war from the past which involved them, so my patience with fanboys is almost non-existent now.

My opinion on Nintendo's prevention of backing up your own personal save data is the same as Linus' and I went a step further by having my Switch Lite hard modded in order to do so. While I wouldn't condemn any console manufacturer from not allowing us to backup our save data back in the game cartridge and memory card days, modern day consoles with USB ports, SD card slots and network access are another matter.

First, let's explain the real reason why Nintendo is blocking you from backing-up your save data, fear of piracy and incompetence. The original Wii was softmodded thanks to save game hacking exploits, so with the Wii U, they removed the ability to backup your save data despite having an SD Card slot. With the Wii U, the system was softmodded using the Internal web browser, so with the Switch, Nintendo removed the ability to browse the web. You see, instead of trying to prevent people from softmodding by improving security (you know, being competent), Nintendo simply disservices their customers by removing features that previous systems had. Now regarding cloud storage, they could have offered this as a free service, but hey, if they can make money out of the loyal Nintendo sheeps.... Worst part is, not all game data can be uploaded to their cloud services including Smash Bros. and all Pokémon games, so if your system breaks or your memory gets corrupted, though shit, start over!

So what can be done about this? Well on a personal level, you can softmod the OG Switch model or hardmod the other ones like I did. On a global level however, only government legal threats could do anything about this.

So I’m asking anyone with decent knowledge of the law of their country, is Nintendo doing anything illegal regarding the prevention of backing-up your save data?

Cheers

Vote with your wallet. Sounds like an Apple move. Just don't buy the product.

As for legal things, I would expect that the EU has something to say about this. Which goes past any nation-wide rules. (for countries in the EU)

if anything they will add it so you pay the sub to back it up. thow not all games are on there sub thing yet... is it another e shop i dont no.

as far as there consernd the snes never had a back up so being able to back it up is not there problem or care.

could they go after you for backing up a save probly not. even thow its hacking. what they would go after is people making moeny doing the mod to hack it.

if the offered backing up to an eshop and then got rid of it i dont no guess sol. but as far as i no hacker used the slots as ways to hack the console.

right now is cost too much to go after one person but at some point it will be cheaper to do so. or a way to go after muty people at once for a thing.

$50k is alot of moeny to pay so they will need an roi. but you never know. most cases you plee few thousand and thats that lesson learnd.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links