System don't post after RAM upgrade

eduhoribe
Go to solution Solved by svmlegacy,
56 minutes ago, eduhoribe said:

Hello everyone,

I have a Ryzen 7 2700 with an Asus TUF x570 Plus/BR and 2x16Gb 3200MHz HyperX Fury which is running with the DHCP profile for a while without any issues.

Recently I've bough another RAM kit, same brand, same model, even from the same store.

After adding them, the system do not post and keeps rebooting.

After a while it goes to a kind of safe-mode and opens the BIOS, then I can disable the DHCP profile and the system runs normally (the 3000MHz profile seems stable too).

Digging on the internet I've found this video that comments that the problem might be on the CPU memory controller, but since I just added more RAM I have my doubts that this is the case.

Anyone have seen a problem like this before?

This isn't a problem. Pinnacle Ridge's memory controller is not as good as later AMD chips, and doesn't always play well at high speeds with this much load, especially if these are dual-rank DIMM's.

Leave it at 3000 MHz, still faster than the 2700's rated memory speed of "up to" 2933 MHz. There are manual settings you can use to bring it up, but that's really in the realm of manual OC.

Hello everyone,

I have a Ryzen 7 2700 with an Asus TUF x570 Plus/BR and 2x16Gb 3200MHz HyperX Fury which is running with the DHCP profile for a while without any issues.

Recently I've bough another RAM kit, same brand, same model, even from the same store.

After a while it goes to a kind of safe-mode and opens the BIOS, then I can disable the DHCP profile and the system runs normally (the 3000MHz profile seems stable too).

Digging on the internet I've found this video that comments that the problem might be on the CPU memory controller, but since I just added more RAM I have my doubts that this is the case.

Tried to update the BIOS but nothing have changed.

Unless i am miss understanding, but it sounds like you have two seperate issues at hand:

1. Your new memory isnt registered (i would check the vendor manual to see if this setup ia supported and at what speeds and volts. If you have a strong gpu but not very strong (so like something running with up to 1 8 pin) you might be power limited...

2. The dhcp sounds like during the memory replacemnt and troubleshooting your boot order changed, i will have a look at that, or even check if your cmos battery is ok.

A good way to do it the quick and dirty is to:

A. Change something arbitarry in the bios and save it of cource.

B. Power off and unplug the pc.

C. Hold down the power button for about 5 - 15 seconds

D. Count to 10 and plug it back in

E. If your cmos is dead you will see your setting gone..

Hope this helped

56 minutes ago, eduhoribe said:

Hello everyone,

This isn't a problem. Pinnacle Ridge's memory controller is not as good as later AMD chips, and doesn't always play well at high speeds with this much load, especially if these are dual-rank DIMM's.

Leave it at 3000 MHz, still faster than the 2700's rated memory speed of "up to" 2933 MHz. There are manual settings you can use to bring it up, but that's really in the realm of manual OC.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

20 hours ago, DrProfSagi said:

Your new memory isnt registered

The exact RAM model is not on the supported list indeed, but a very similar model number with similar specs is, so I don't think that's the problem...

you might be power limited

I don't think that's the case either. My GPU needs the 8 pin cable, but the power supply is pretty good (XPG Core Reactor 850W).

boot order changed

Since the system doesn't even post with the faster DHCP profile, I don't think that's the case.

20 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

especially if these are dual-rank DIMM's.

Just checked on CPU-Z and they are.

20 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

the 2700's rated memory speed of "up to" 2933 MHz

Welp...this seems to be the root cause. I assumed that it will work because I was already running at 3200MHz, but I didn't know that I was already pushing the limits of the system...

Thank you very much @svmlegacy! Sorry that I skipped the basics before asking for help...