My PC sometimes fails to post

Go to solution Solved by Whatisthis,

Seems like the motherboard is having some kind of issue. Since you’ve already updated bios, it seems like a hardware problem.

If you’re feeling adventurous, you could try baking the board to re-flow the solder. Most likely a new board will solve the problem.

Specs:
MB: ASUS TUF GAMING B560 PLUS-WIFI
CPU: i5-11600K
GPU: 4070
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200MHZ 4x8
PSU: SEASONIC 850W FOCUS PLUS GOLD

Some background:
I've put in the new MB/CPU combo in over 2 years ago and that's when the issue started. Since I have changed/added a new gpu, more RAM, drives, cooler, new DP cable, but nothing seemed to fix the issue. This only happens sometimes and once the PC boots up, there is absolutely 0 issues, no crashes, no bluescreens, no freezing, it works perfect. When the boot fails and this only happens sometimes, here are the things that I've noticed happen:

1) Orange LED is stuck on the motherboard and it won't post until I force restart
2) Orange LED disappear but then fans start spinning at 100% (including gpu+cpu+casefans)
3) Orange LED disappears and white light turns on but the PC won't boot

There is no pattern or order in which these happen, it's all random. Most of the time the issue occurs is when I restart the PC to finalize an update, on the rare occasion when I turn the PC on. The PSU is coming to its age around 5 years however with the previous MB/CPU, i never had any issues.

Some things I've tried:
1) Reinstalled windows from 10 to 11 (fresh install).
2) Re-pasted and re-seated my CPU.
3) Turned off hibernation mode.
4) Updated BIOS to current latest version 2001.
5) Installed latest drivers from asus' website.

Any advice appreciated.

Try it with a single stick of ram. See if it reliably boots in that configuration

16 minutes ago, Stve said:

Specs:
MB: ASUS TUF GAMING B560 PLUS-WIFI
CPU: i5-11600K
GPU: 4070
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200MHZ 4x8
PSU: SEASONIC 850W FOCUS PLUS GOLD

Some background:
I've put in the new MB/CPU combo in over 2 years ago and that's when the issue started. Since I have changed/added a new gpu, more RAM, drives, cooler, new DP cable, but nothing seemed to fix the issue. This only happens sometimes and once the PC boots up, there is absolutely 0 issues, no crashes, no bluescreens, no freezing, it works perfect. When the boot fails and this only happens sometimes, here are the things that I've noticed happen:

1) Orange LED is stuck on the motherboard and it won't post until I force restart
2) Orange LED disappear but then fans start spinning at 100% (including gpu+cpu+casefans)
3) Orange LED disappears and white light turns on but the PC won't boot

There is no pattern or order in which these happen, it's all random. Most of the time the issue occurs is when I restart the PC to finalize an update, on the rare occasion when I turn the PC on. The PSU is coming to its age around 5 years however with the previous MB/CPU, i never had any issues.

Some things I've tried:
1) Reinstalled windows from 10 to 11 (fresh install).
2) Re-pasted and re-seated my CPU.
3) Turned off hibernation mode.
4) Updated BIOS to current latest version 2001.
5) Installed latest drivers from asus' website.

Any advice appreciated.

I did a search on your motherboard and the Orange LED would point towards RAM. Have you tried removing all the sticks and just reinstalling 1 stick? Try that first. If it continues to be an issue you can unplug the 24-pin and 8-pin power from the motherboard and reseat them. This can help to diagnose a possible power-related issue before going any further with troubleshooting.

Also, at this is a BOOT issue, Windows, Drivers etc will not help. Your troubleshooting will be around components working rather than software.

Reseat RAM, CPU.

Clear CMOS

Remove and Reseat the GPU

Remove any SSD's and HDD's and try to boot to BIOS.

You wont to try and get to BIOS, you won't need storage to achieve this.

Apologies for the long wait on the update. I was busy over the week and only got a chance to test it now, also appreciate all the replies!

I have tried with a single stick of RAM and the same issue persists (tested with 4 separate sticks). I cleared CMOS, re-plugged power cables (ATX+CPU), reseated GPU but nothing seems to fix the issue.

What happened recently was when I let the PC go into sleep mode after being away, after waking it up it turned off and when powered back on it got stuck in a boot-loop (orange light would appear for a few seconds > into a red light for a split second > back to orange light > boot-loop. Unplugging the power didn't work or force shutting off, had to reset CMOS to get it to boot again.

During cold starts, what I started noticing that happens most of the time is the orange light pops up for a split second > turns off and PC fans start going 100% until I force turn off and reboot which it then boots up in safe mode with the F1 menu to go into bios. This happens every time (over the last few days) when I cold start the PC.

Once the PC is posted to windows like before, there are no issues. No BSOD, freezes etc.

Thank you.

Seems like the motherboard is having some kind of issue. Since you’ve already updated bios, it seems like a hardware problem.

If you’re feeling adventurous, you could try baking the board to re-flow the solder. Most likely a new board will solve the problem.

9 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

That's what I've been leaning towards as well was just waiting for someone to confirm that it's most likely the board. Since the time I bought the mobo + cpu combo, that's when the issue started. Before I go ahead and look for a new motherboard, is there any possibility at all that it could be the CPU?

If it is booting at all, highly unlikely. Most cpu hardware problems give you a no post situation, or BSOD in windows. If it has weird hangups during boot but is fine in windows, most likely culprit is the mobo.

55 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

If it is booting at all, highly unlikely. Most cpu hardware problems give you a no post situation, or BSOD in windows. If it has weird hangups during boot but is fine in windows, most likely culprit is the mobo.

Perfect, thanks a bunch for the help 👍