New Audi TT to feature dual Tegra K1 SOCs and a virtual cockpit

LukaP

Originaly posted on The Verge

Audi utilizes two discrete Tegra processors, one to handle entertainment and navigation, and another to display the vital dials and control the car's electronics. These then work in tandem to power the single screen, ensuring that if, for example, a bug causes a problem in media playback, you'll still be able to keep track of how fast you're driving. Obviously Audi will be hoping that its system is entirely bug-free when the car launches later this year — it says everything will run at a steady 60 fps — but it's a good thing the company is siloing vital functions away from infotainment.

The 2015 TT goes on sale this fall.

TTC140043_verge_super_wide.jpg

NVIDIA-Tegra-K1.jpg

very interesting stuff, maybe this marks the success of nvidias tegra line. finally :) all they needed was to add a pinch of kepler to it xD

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Audi-TT_Coupe_2015_1024x768_wallpaper_04

Audi-TTS_Coupe_2015_1024x768_wallpaper_0

Looks acceptable :D

BTT: Sounds very cool.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

But why TT? It's a nice car (every Audi is nice) but nobody really buys the TT since the car isn't universal at all, I would love to see the new tech on the classic Audi A1-8 lineup.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

This is cool but it's in the Audi TT which has to be one of the ugliest cars it's like vw beetle gone Audi it's just retarded.

But why TT? It's a nice car (every Audi is nice) but nobody really buys the TT since the car isn't universal at all, I would love to see the new tech on the classic Audi A1-8 lineup.

Well they will probably implement it in the other cars later on

This is cool but it's in the Audi TT which has to be one of the ugliest cars it's like vw beetle gone Audi it's just retarded.

New design a few posts up. Nice even

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

They will probably only do this on the A1-8 when its time for a refresh or facelift since it is damn expensive to implement it any other way. New Tegra dials means new dash layout, new electronics layout/mapping, new airbag layout for new dash these R&D cost can go into the hundreds of millions of dollar, which is a huge amount to invest in a car that was release maybe only 2 years ago and isn't due for a refresh in another 3-4 years.

New design a few posts up. Nice even

I saw it's still ugly IMO.

VAG Car!

VAG Car!

Very Awesome Groovy Car?

Also, is there a reason why vehicles are becoming increasingly more unnecessarily complicated? I'm all okay for safety features, but we do not need more crap to bother and distract already distracted drivers.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

TT as in tech tips? Still, it probably won't replace Linus's Lamborghini...

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

This is going to be very interesting in the car branch atleast. I wonder how it is going to affect techies and modders all over the world. It would be really interesting to see this having the option to be modded by the person that owns it, if I remember correctly the colorschedule was able to be changed how the owner wants it, but further modding would be very interesting.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

i've always wondered what would happen if car manufacturers used normal processors in cars. Tegra isn't full desktop CPU but still very powerful.

They are probably testing it out in the TT line first. Just like most car companies, they update the least favorite car first to test the style. Just like the Ford Fiesta. Not many people buy them but it was the first to introduce the new style and so they slowly updated the rest. Audi will most like work their way up to make sure the technology is up to par.