Corsair Vengeance 6000mhz 64gb causes crashes and blue screens

Hello 馃様

So i build a new PC and i decided to go for DDR5 RAM.聽

Everything works fine as long as i keep the XMP Profile turned off. I activate my pc no problems but couple minutes or hours later everything gets weird. Programs crashed regularly, i get random blue screens and weird graphics bugs.

The latest BIOS is currently installed.

My setup is:

Asus PRIME Z790-A WIFI

I7 13700KF (Dark Rock pro 4)

Rtx 3060 ti Asus Tuf 8gb Oc

Corsair Vengeance 64 gbs of 6000mhz (1 stick has 16 gb)

So my question is, what should i do, im not really a professionell Pc builder and i really would love to use the 6000mhz聽聽

Thank you for the help馃槞

4x16 Kits dont work well at XMP speeds. If you wanted聽 64 GB you should have done 2x32.

4 Sticks at XMP will generally run at 4800-5200. This is quite a well known thing on most of the platforms, but especially AM5 and Z690/Z790.聽

This is also why 4x32 is not good since 128 GB will often run at 4800 speeds or lower.

17 minutes ago, Across said:

Hello 馃様

So i build a new PC and i decided to go for DDR5 RAM.聽

Everything works fine as long as i keep the XMP Profile turned off. I activate my pc no problems but couple minutes or hours later everything gets weird. Programs crashed regularly, i get random blue screens and weird graphics bugs.

I installed the latest BIOS is currently installed.

My setup is:

Asus PRIME Z790-A WIFI

I7 13700KF (Dark Rock pro 4)

Rtx 3060 ti Asus Tuf 8gb Oc

Corsair Vengeance 64 gbs of 6000mhz (1 stick has 16 gb)

So my question is, what should i do, im not really a professionell Pc builder and i really would love to use the 6000mhz聽聽

Thank you for the help馃槞

Hi, just try one slab of RAM just to test crashing. See if it still does the same.

Bit of a tech guy, converted to PC's when consoles did not entertain me enough, the last console being an Xbox, was fun with Halo multi-play though. But聽 the want to discover, to test, to learn more about computers drove me to levels I had never known...

Some GPU's I have had, 8800GTS 384MB, 7800GT, GEFORCE 4 MX440, 250GTS,聽 770 GTX, 1650 GTX, RTX 3050 Plus many other GPU's over the years...

The respect I have for LMG is massive like a black hole, sucking in all the knowledge, I watch their awesome video's, their knowledge is like that of a God. Seriously some say they are number 1 in the whole wide world. LMG is like the INTEL fabrication plant. Beaming with technology goodness...

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

4x16 Kits dont work well at XMP speeds. If you wanted聽 64 GB you should have done 2x32.

4 Sticks at XMP will generally run at 4800-5200. This is quite a well known thing on most of the platforms, but especially AM5 and Z690/Z790.聽

This is also why 4x32 is not good since 128 GB will often run at 4800 speeds or lower.

So is there any chance for an Bios update to use 6000mhz or should i change ram?

15 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

4x16 Kits dont work well at XMP speeds.

4x16GB DDR5 is possible to get working at decent speeds, it's a bit more finnicky but getting 6400MT/s with 4x16GB is very possible on both 13th gen and AM5 (AM5 requires getting a very good IMC for 6400, but 2x16GB and 4x16GB will clock the same assuming all the DIMMs work well with each other). It requires you get a half decent board (that Z790 board is good enough) and all 4 DIMMs being the exact same (not just buying 2 2x16GB of the same model and hoping for the best as some can be Samsung and some can be Hynix), but it should be about the same difficulty to get 6400 4x16GB working as 6400 2x32GB working (maybe slightly worse, but not significantly).聽

4x16GB was a problem on early Alder Lake BIOSes, though it was more or less fixed by the time AM5 released.聽

39 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

No, that's for a completely different reason, there's too many ranks. More ranks is generally harder for a memory controller to run with a few exceptions (a lot of DDR3 platforms perform about as well with dual rank as single rank, same with AM5 currently and 11th through 13th gen Intel on DDR4 in Gear 1), and 128GB requires using quad rank which puts a ton of strain on the IMC and therefore it can't do high speeds.聽

15 minutes ago, Across said:

So is there any chance for an Bios update to use 6000mhz or should i change ram?

If you have the option of going for 2x32GB, it is generally a bit more reliable to get working, though it should be possible to get this to work. The first thing I would be doing is checking that the actual sticks are identical. Unless you bought a 4x16GB kit (IIRC availability of them is very low so I'd doubt you did), buying 2 2x16GB kits can mean that they're not identical even if they're from the same product page. Look at the label of the sticks, there should be a version number that says something like "ver. 4.43.02" or "ver. 5.43.13", you want to see if all of those sticks have the same version numbers. If they do, the sticks are identical and it's more than likely you need to do a bit of BIOS tuning to get this to work. If they are different, that's the reason and you need to replace at least one of the kits in order to get this to work.聽

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

4x16GB DDR5 is possible to get working at decent speeds, it's a bit more finnicky but getting 6400MT/s with 4x16GB is very possible on both 13th gen and AM5 (AM5 requires getting a very good IMC for 6400, but 2x16GB and 4x16GB will clock the same assuming all the DIMMs work well with each other). It requires you get a half decent board (that Z790 board is good enough) and all 4 DIMMs being the exact same (not just buying 2 2x16GB of the same model and hoping for the best as some can be Samsung and some can be Hynix), but it should be about the same difficulty to get 6400 4x16GB working as 6400 2x32GB working (maybe slightly worse, but not significantly).聽

4x16GB was a problem on early Alder Lake BIOSes, though it was more or less fixed by the time AM5 released.聽

No, that's for a completely different reason, there's too many ranks. More ranks is generally harder for a memory controller to run with a few exceptions (a lot of DDR3 platforms perform about as well with dual rank as single rank, same with AM5 currently and 11th through 13th gen Intel on DDR4 in Gear 1), and 128GB requires using quad rank which puts a ton of strain on the IMC and therefore it can't do high speeds.聽

If you have the option of going for 2x32GB, it is generally a bit more reliable to get working, though it should be possible to get this to work. The first thing I would be doing is checking that the actual sticks are identical. Unless you bought a 4x16GB kit (IIRC availability of them is very low so I'd doubt you did), buying 2 2x16GB kits can mean that they're not identical even if they're from the same product page. Look at the label of the sticks, there should be a version number that says something like "ver. 4.43.02" or "ver. 5.43.13", you want to see if all of those sticks have the same version numbers. If they do, the sticks are identical and it's more than likely you need to do a bit of BIOS tuning to get this to work. If they are different, that's the reason and you need to replace at least one of the kits in order to get this to work.聽

So i checked all 4 ram sticks they are the same Version. So i only need the perfect oc settings and maybe it will work 馃槀

8 minutes ago, Across said:

So i checked all 4 ram sticks they are the same Version. So i only need the perfect oc settings and maybe it will work 馃槀

OK, you might need to do some BIOS tuning then. Checking a couple BIOS revisions is a decent idea as different revisions can have very different behavior with RAM (some might be really good with Samsung memory but not do 4x16GB, others might be great at 4x16GB but not be able to do Gear 4 or 1T command rate for example), but these are the steps you might need to go through:

1. Manually enter in the memory parameters and don't rely on XMP. Manually set the RAM frequency to 6000MT/s, the voltage to whatever the rated voltage is (likely 1.3 or 1.35V) and the timings to the kit's rated timings (likely either 36-36-36-76 or 40-40-40-80). XMP itself can be broken a lot of the time, so not using it is a good trouble shooting step.聽
  2. If that doesn't work, mess with the memory controller voltages. On Intel, there are a ton of these voltages, all of them sweet spot, and their sweet spot behavior changes depending on the specific board,聽BIOS revision,聽CPU,聽maybe memory kit, and even the type of settings you're trying to hit (the settings I need for 7600 on my board won't POST at 6000), so I can't give you settings and expect them to just work for you. The memory controller voltages are System Agent (might be called VCCSA or just SA), VDDQ TX (ASUS calls this IVR Transmitter), VDD2 (ASUS calls this Memory Controller voltage IIRC), CPU, Ring, SA, and MC PLL, and VCCIN. The most important ones are System Agent, VDDQ TX, and VDD2 (I'm just going to refer to them as that because it's what I'm used to on not-ASUS boards).
    1. System Agent depends on the specific CPU with what works best, though from what I've seen at 6000 you're probably going to have it set somewhere between 0.95V and 1.2V, probably closer to 1V. I wouldn't set it above 1.45V for the health of the CPU.聽
    2. VDDQ TX is all over the place for optimal聽values, I've had it where the optimal value was 1.225V and I've had it where the optimal value was 1.4V. Plus I've seen screen shots of people who need 1.55V in order to get something stable. Most ASUS boards I've seen need it higher than lower, so you're probably going to end up in the 1.3-1.4V range. I wouldn't want it over 1.45V for the health of the CPU, though there is debate over whether 1.55V is safe or not.聽
    3. VDD2 is even more all over the place for the optimal value. I've seen this need anywhere between 0.9V and 1.65V to get settings stable. ASUS boards from what I've seen like this lower, so you're probably going to have to set this around 1.1-1.2V to get things stable, but you're going to have to play around with this.聽
    4. PLL voltages depend on the CPU. These usually help more if you're going for high frequency, so you likely won't have to touch these, but they exist.聽
    5. VCCIN can affect memory support, though barely. Usually the stock 1.8V is fine.聽

Also, what was the version number?

It had the version聽聽"5.43.13"聽

I watched this video maybe it can help too.聽

46 minutes ago, Across said:

It had the version聽聽"5.43.13"聽

I watched this video maybe it can help too.聽

The Corsair Vengeance RGB kit the YouTuber is using is different from yours.

They have a DDR5-5600 kit, compared to yours at DDR5-6000.

The XMP memory timings may also be different to yours.

Plus, they are using a different ASUS motherboard.

Different combinations of RAM + Motherboard + CPU can give different results.

But yes, adding SLIGHTLY more voltage to the Memory CAN help with stability.

You can try what the YouTuber suggested, and see if it works for you.

The other thing you can try is enable XMP,聽but聽manually adjust the "DRAM Frequency" setting.

Say, change it to DDR5-5800, DDR5-5600, or DDR5-5200, and see if that works.

You MAY need to do a combination of voltage + manual DRAM frequency adjust.

Intel Z390 Rig聽(聽*NEW* Primary聽)

Intel X99聽Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1聽GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ聽DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk聽480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO+聽 500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod聽Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K @聽4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler聽 NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD +聽Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550WEVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in CrossfireSapphire NITRO聽R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<>聽Electrical Engineer , B.Eng<>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence聽<>

So today i changed the voltage like in the video to 1.30v.

6000mhz: After 30 minutes testing it, it crashed.聽

Now i tried 5800mhz rigth now its pretty stable tried memtest64 and no crash.聽

Maybe i 1.35v could stabilize 6000mhz