1070 ti or 1080?

spoonlicker3852

Im currently upgrading my pc from a 1650 but im a bit tight on budget. How big is the performance difference between a 1070ti and a 1080? The 1070 ti cost about 150$ usd and the 1080 costs about 180$. Both of them are used and looks fairly safe, but keep in mind 30$ is quite a bit of money in Indonesia and im planning to invest on some additional storage to go along with the upgrade.

Screenshot_20230425_184203.thumb.jpg.2c00bc4feebb86054260d922930dff6c.jpg

Screenshot_20230425_184229.jpg

if you had to choose between these 2 and your on a tight budget get the 1070ti and just oc it. but i would really try to make sure the state of the gpu is good. you never know with a secondhand market

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

15 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

if you had to choose between these 2 and your on a tight budget get the 1070ti and just oc it. but i would really try to make sure the state of the gpu is good. you never know with a secondhand market

It may even need a repaste of new thermal paste as these cards are pretty old by now and I'm sure the original paste has just about dried out.

As already stated, its about ~5% difference in performance so I'd just overclock the 1070 Ti and you'll get near 1080 level performance. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

It may even need a repaste of new thermal paste as these cards are pretty old by now and I'm sure the original paste has just about dried out.

Even if they sat in a box and were never used its basically a guarantee at this point 😛

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Even if they sat in a box and were never used its basically a guarantee at this point 😛

Definitely!! Even just MX-4 would be a good paste to use or if you're inclined to for Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut but that can be expensive (not sure what the prices are in Indonesia) and would recommend MX-4. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

32 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

1070ti is locked down you CAN'T overclock

it.  Even the AIBs weren't allowed to overclock it

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

4 minutes ago, ChonkerFox said:

1070ti is locked down you CAN'T overclock

it.  Even the AIBs weren't allowed to overclock it

im pretty sure nvidia didnt allow aibs to do so. but a consumer was able to.

and after a quick searchup yeah i was correct:

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

57 minutes ago, spoonlicker3852 said:

I have an i5 12400f w/stock cooler

you can do either one without bottlenecks then. it just depends on what games you play. google how much fps each card gets in those games and then decide if the extra fps of the 1080 is worth it to you

She/Her