Thinking about the 7900 XT/X

Mista G

Debating a 7900 XT/X and wondered... how are the drivers lately? Can anyone with these cards share their experiences so far.

Have a 7900XT. It does exactly what it is supposed to do.
Also I just noticed I have a driver update. Let's see if that breaks everything.

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

Have a 7900XT. It does exactly what it is supposed to do.
Also I just noticed I have a driver update. Let's see if that breaks everything.

What model of the 7900 XT are you using? I'm looking at the Nitro+ model currently.

I had a good experience with the 6800 XT however, I was hearing all sorts of issues about the drivers with the 7900 XT/X.

Just now, Mista G said:

Debating a 7900 XT/X and wondered... how are the drivers lately? Can anyone with these cards share their experiences so far.

Got a 7900XTX one week ago (ASUS TUF).. Well it's a beast !

Played TW Warhammer3 and HWL all maxxed out (1440p ultrawide), +50% FPS vs my 3080 10GB, and no more stutters due to VRAM being fully filled (24GB to 10...)

Avoid MBA models they had some defective cooler batches, are power limited with only 2 8pins (so 375W when the card can reach 450+ easily on OC)

My card is huge (35cm long... 😛 ), cooling is quite good and it OC very easily  

Pretty good experience for me until now, Adrenalin software is much better than NVidia crappy stuff.
Only issue is that my GSync AW3420DW should unofficially be FreeSync compatible but it does'nt work well (flickering, black screens/driver timeout, bad fps), using the Adrenalin "Enhanced sync" seems good enough anyway

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

13 minutes ago, Mista G said:

What model of the 7900 XT are you using? I'm looking at the Nitro+ model currently.

I'm using a XFX with the standard cooler design. Can't tell you anything about the temperatures or noise level tho as I've got the rig sitting in another room and I'm not actively monitoring temps. I think when I got it and checked they were somewhere around the 70°C mark, but don't quote me on that.

XFX Radeon RX 7900 XT MBA Gaming, 1.067,99 €

Edit:
Also my driver update worked without any issues, as it should be 😛 

8 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Got a 7900XTX one week ago (ASUS TUF).. Well it's a beast !

Played TW Warhammer3 and HWL all maxxed out (1440p ultrawide), +50% FPS vs my 3080 10GB, and no more stutters due to VRAM being fully filled (24GB to 10...)

Avoid MBA models they had some defective cooler batches, are power limited with only 2 8pins (so 375W when the card can reach 450+ easily on OC)

My card is huge (35cm long... 😛 ), cooling is quite good and it OC very easily  

Pretty good experience for me until now, Adrenalin software is much better than NVidia crappy stuff.
Only issue is that my GSync AW3420DW should unofficially be FreeSync compatible but it does'nt work well (flickering, black screens/driver timeout, bad fps), using the Adrenalin "Enhanced sync" seems good enough anyway

I did contemplate the 7900 XT TUF and that thing looks like a beast however, so does that Nitro+.

I have been taking special notice about the VRAM debate and this is a factor for choosing AMD.

I own the Dell S2721DGFA monitor and I'm hoping I don't have those issues should I choose AMD again.

Just now, Mista G said:

I did contemplate the 7900 XT TUF and that thing looks like a beast however, so does that Nitro+.

I have been taking special notice about the VRAM debate and this is a factor for choosing AMD.

I own the Dell S2721DGFA monitor and I'm hoping I don't have those issues should I choose AMD again.

Yup I also contemplated the Nitro+ XTX but it was more than 100EUR more expensive, the TUF is comparably good so I got this one

As I already had a 3080 the XT didn't look a good upgrade to me (only +25% performance vs +50% for the XTX), but now that price of the XT is dropping it's a nice upgrade for 3070 level card or below

Your monitor is Freesync Premium, you shouldn't have any issue. Mine is officially only GSync...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Yup I also contemplated the Nitro+ but it was more than 100EUR more expensive, the TUF is comparably good so I got this one

Currently in Europe the best price is the XFX now, all 3 are quite good 

Your monitor is Freesync Premium, you shoudln't have any issue. Mine is officially only GSync...

I'm situated in the UK and the Nitro+ is currently priced up at £859.99 and the TUF is £889.99... decisions, decisions? Not familiar with the XFX models to be honest, did read a little on the MERC.

12 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I'm using a XFX with the standard cooler design. Can't tell you anything about the temperatures or noise level tho as I've got the rig sitting in another room and I'm not actively monitoring temps. I think when I got it and checked they were somewhere around the 70°C mark, but don't quote me on that.

XFX Radeon RX 7900 XT MBA Gaming, 1.067,99 €

Edit:
Also my driver update worked without any issues, as it should be 😛 

Glad to hear the experience is good, comforting to know AMD are back on track.

Just now, Mista G said:

I'm situated in the UK and the Nitro+ is currently priced up at £859.99 and the TUF is £889.99... decisions, decisions? Not familiar with the XFX models to be honest, did read a little on the MERC.

Glad to hear the experience is good, comforting to know AMD are back on track.

I'm seeing 7900XT as low as £750 on pcp UK

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&page=1

What are you upgrading from ?

Just now, PDifolco said:

I'm seeing 7900XT as low as £750 on pcp UK

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&page=1

What are you upgrading from ?

That is the MBA model cards which I'm steering clear of right now. I've gifted my daughter the 6800 XT Nitro+ as her card is a tad dated now and struggling to say the least.

Just now, Mista G said:

That is the MBA model cards which I'm steering clear of right now. I've gifted my daughter the 6800 XT Nitro+ as her card is a tad dated now and struggling to say the least.

Then you should look at 7900XTX, will be a quite better upgrade!  You could get a Hellhound for £1000

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Then you should look at 7900XTX, will be a quite better upgrade!  You could get a Hellhound for £1000

I'm seriously considering the XTX however, will a RM850x cope with the power draw and my 13600K?

Just now, Mista G said:

I'm seriously considering the XTX however, will a RM850x cope with the power draw and my 13600K?

I happen to have the same PSU, and a 5900X, it copes no problem !

Max you can draw is 450W GPU+ 200W GPU and the PSU stands up to 1000W or so before tripping 🙂 

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

I happen to have the same PSU, and a 5900X, it copes no problem !

Max you can draw is 450W GPU+ 200W GPU and the PSU stands up to 1000W or so before tripping 🙂 

Ah that's good to know as I have the 202x model of RM850x with triangle grille. Choices, Choices? A grand is a bit much though.

1 hour ago, Mista G said:

I am using mine 7900XT Pulse for a week now and drivers do not act up as much as I feared.

The only thing that is bothering me is a problem that is known from the beginning of 7000 series - if you use two monitors and one of them is high refresh rate (mine are 120Hz and 60Hz) the card will not drop down its memory clock. Because of this, I am sitting at 80-100W graphics card power at idle in Windows.

8 minutes ago, MarkPol88 said:

I am using mine 7900XT Pulse for a week now and drivers do not act up as much as I feared.

The only thing that is bothering me is a problem that is known from the beginning of 7000 series - if you use two monitors and one of them is high refresh rate (mine are 120Hz and 60Hz) the card will not drop down its memory clock. Because of this, I am sitting at 80-100W graphics card power at idle in Windows.

That's an issue with cards generally, not unique to the 7000 series. My RTX 2060 Super doesn't clock down with my setup when I have my 1440p 170Hz monitor and a 1080p 60Hz one attached at the same time. Maybe the 30/40 series has enough power to run multiple high refresh rate screens without clocking up, but from my understanding, if you're running multiple monitors at over 1080p 60Hz, this it normal behavior.

11 minutes ago, MarkPol88 said:

Just now, YoungBlade said:

That's an issue with cards generally, not unique to the 7000 series. My RTX 2060 Super doesn't clock down with my setup when I have my 1440p 170Hz monitor and a 1080p 60Hz one attached at the same time. Maybe the 30/40 series has enough power to run multiple high refresh rate screens without clocking up, but from my understanding, if you're running multiple monitors at over 1080p 60Hz, this it normal behavior.

Thankfully I don't have a multimonitor setup and I think that issue was mentioned in the release notes of the driver and has been for awhile?

1 minute ago, Mista G said:

Thankfully I don't have a multimonitor setup and I think that issue was mentioned in the release notes of the driver and has been for awhile?

There was an issue where it never clocked down no matter what, and so had very high idle usage all the time, but that was supposedly fixed a couple of months ago with a driver update.

From my understanding, it can still happen when you run multiple high resolution/high refresh rate monitors, but that's not really a bug. Pixels don't refresh on screens without a GPU making them do that. And more pixels and more refreshing needs more power.

4 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

There was an issue where it never clocked down no matter what, and so had very high idle usage all the time, but that was supposedly fixed a couple of months ago with a driver update.

From my understanding, it can still happen when you run multiple high resolution/high refresh rate monitors, but that's not really a bug. Pixels don't refresh on screens without a GPU making them do that. And more pixels and more refreshing needs more power.

I remember this and I think I just read about it again a few moments ago elsewhere and pretty sure it's still a thing idling at 50-60W?

2 minutes ago, Mista G said:

I remember this and I think I just read about it again a few moments ago elsewhere and pretty sure it's still a thing around 80W?

According to MrFatpickles over on reddit, turning down monitor speed could fix the issue 3 months ago.

1x 1440p 165hz + 1x 1080p 165hz

Idle power by default was around 100w.

I limited both monitors to 144hz and it reduced to 43w idle on average.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/10f2x9p/7900xtx_users_tell_me_your_monitorsetup_and_idle/

20 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

According to MrFatpickles over on reddit, turning down monitor speed could fix the issue 3 months ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/10f2x9p/7900xtx_users_tell_me_your_monitorsetup_and_idle/

It's funny as my 6800 XT is on the latest driver and idles around 4-7W at 1440p 165hz... never had a driver problem with the 6 series.

Has this been resolved now or is it still an on-going issue since launch?

Just now, Mista G said:

It's funny as my 6800 XT is on the latest driver and idles around 4-7W at 1440p 165hz... never had a driver problem with the 6 series.

It's an issue with multi monitor, not single one

My 7900XTX idles in WIndows at 15W (120Hz monitor)

26 minutes ago, Mista G said:

You can see in the reddit thread that I linked that some users are reporting much lower idle power consumption - I saw several claiming 14W - and again, that was 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, my looking around online has found a ton of articles from December complaining about the issue, and saying that AMD was working on a fix, but I don't believe it has been entirely fixed based on this note in the latest AMD driver "Known Issues" section:

• High idle power has situationally been observed when using select high-resolution and high refresh rate displays on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.

So it may still be an issue for you, or it may not. It seems dependent on your exact setup.

15 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

It's an issue with multi monitor, not single one

My 7900XTX idles in WIndows at 15W (120Hz monitor)

13 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

You can see in the reddit thread that I linked that some users are reporting much lower idle power consumption - I saw several claiming 14W - and again, that was 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, my looking around online has found a ton of articles from December complaining about the issue, and saying that AMD was working on a fix, but I don't believe it has been entirely fixed based on this note in the latest AMD driver "Known Issues" section:

So it may still be an issue for you, or it may not. It seems dependent on your exact setup.

AMD FineWine should come into play then, thanks both for your feedback... now the time has come to soon make that purchase, you also get The Last of Us for free assuming that offer still applies? 

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

Before Radeon I had 3070Ti and it never got over 22W on idle on the same setup. I wonder what is really going on.

2 minutes ago, Mista G said:

AMD FineWine should come into play then, thanks both for your feedback... now the time has come to soon make that purchase, you also get The Last of Us for free assuming that offer still applies? 

Ask beforehand if the store you are purchasing from takes part in the AMD Rewards program - I've got mine on Amazon.pl (where I live) and turns out that they do not offer game codes.

Edited by MarkPol88
Adding reply to a new post