Question: Little case, Little GPU, Big Bro

GummyChicken

greetings, i ask the Internet because _Yeas_

I have in my hands right now the PC i gave my Big Bro a couple of years ago, something  he could try between his family and job duties: nothing to extreme, mostly for less demanding and/or old-ish titles that still bring a lot of joy. Specs are: an old but still capable i5 (i5-4xyz, do not remember) and rx550, one of the budget of the budget you find in every pre-built. Now, the case is pretty _smol_ (Pic 1, a *banana* for scale since it is required by the laws of the Internet) but the slot for the GPU should have some room for play (Pic 2) and the PSU is only a 400w generic thingy.

The question is: if i wanted to switch the GPU and only the GPU for something a bit more _juicy_, without killing the PSU and my wallet, what would you suggest?

I was thinking for an RX 6400 since they are around 140 european dollars (new) and the power required should be around 175w.

In the meantime, thank you for reading

P.s.: i love _smol_ cases

IMG_20230420_165929292_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230420_170435486_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230420_170516270~2.jpg

i squee.

from my bottom.

of my heart

11 minutes ago, GummyChicken said:

I was thinking for an RX 6400

Remove that thought out. Youre practically only going to see marginal jump just for nothing at all.

Where in EU are you? Are you connected to the Schengen Area?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

4 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Remove that thought out. Youre practically only going to see marginal jump just for nothing at all.

Where in EU are you? Are you connected to the Schengen Area?

Yes, the boot in the south called italy. Why?

i squee.

from my bottom.

of my heart

5 minutes ago, GummyChicken said:

Yes, the boot in the south called italy. Why?

Yep as i thought. If you insist on new, you can get 6500XT which would be a better card for 30 euros extra. And if you double your budget, you can get 6600XT or 6650XT (both trades in prices, the 6650XT is a slight overclock job of a 6600XT) which is one of the top picks for me for sub 250 euros card with how close it is to a far more expensive 3060Ti.

Or if youre willing to go used, you can use the 180-200 euros you can have from selling the RX550 at 40-60 euro, and use that to get a Corsair CV550 with any 130-150 euro ebay specials, that of GTX 1080Ti, RX 5700XT, RX 6600XT (again), RTX 2070 or 2060 Super, and GTX 1660 Super.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Thank you all for the feedback: the PSU Is the real bottleneck of the rig since It does not have any additional connector. The suggested GPUs, especially the 6500s, are in the range of power

i squee.

from my bottom.

of my heart

1 hour ago, GummyChicken said:

Thank you all for the feedback: the PSU Is the real bottleneck of the rig since It does not have any additional connector. The suggested GPUs, especially the 6500s, are in the range of power

Thats why i say off with its heads. Even the 6600 i recommended is a massive stretch to run on 400W, it has a 250W spikes under stress and AMD recommends 450W.

6 hours ago, GummyChicken said:

Yeah, you would be much better off if you upgrade the PSU even just a little bit.

I'm not familiar with MS-TECH but 288W on two 12V rails isn't great.

Even a gray 80+ Bronze Seasonic unit with ketchup&mustard cables would allow you to broaden the GPU options quite a bit.

It's not like you can see it with the case closed.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II