Should I swap this PSU?

DrDon

I'll have a video attached to this post but I recently was running tests on a family members machine and the power supply sounds like it's zapping wondering if I should just swap it out it's complete Overkill anyways and about 14 years old so would appreciate any advice , thanks! 

20230418_124429.jpg

8 minutes ago, DrDon said:

I'll have a video attached to this post but I recently was running tests on a family members machine and the power supply sounds like it's zapping wondering if I should just swap it out it's complete Overkill anyways and about 14 years old so would appreciate any advice , thanks! 

20230418_124429.jpg

Never heard a PSU make that sound before in my 23 years of PC building and watching tech tubers.  If it is indeed 14 year old then I think the best thing it to buy a new PSU just to be on the safe side! You never wanna jinx it with a PSU 😄  It worked for 14 years so it probably will work a little longer... But at some point it will cut out.

11 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Never heard a PSU make that sound before in my 23 years of PC building and watching tech tubers.  If it is indeed 14 year old then I think the best thing it to buy a new PSU just to be on the safe side! You never wanna jinx it with a PSU 😄  It worked for 14 years so it probably will work a little longer... But at some point it will cut out.

I can agree here

Itll problably work for another year or 3 since that looks to be a really high quality psu of its time but you are pretty much at the end of the psus lifespan, they generally last for 10-15 years

Mines a 12 year old 450w so still got a few more years but also very old

26 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

😂 Yeah the noise is definitely interesting, it can't fry my PC components right? 

15 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I can agree here

Itll problably work for another year or 3 since that looks to be a really high quality psu of its time but you are pretty much at the end of the psus lifespan, they generally last for 10-15 years

Mines a 12 year old 450w so still got a few more years but also very old

Even with it making that sound though it can't fry my components or catch fire? those are only my two concerns cuz I have never heard that noise before, 

2 minutes ago, DrDon said:

😂 Yeah the noise is definitely interesting, it can't fry my PC components right? 

if the sound is an indication that something is shorting or a component is on its way out and the PSU fails, it can definitely fry your components.

32 minutes ago, DrDon said:

Even with it making that sound though it can't fry my components or catch fire? those are only my two concerns cuz I have never heard that noise before, 

I can always do both of those things, but it seems way more likely now then if it were not making those noises.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

4 minutes ago, Bismut said:

I can always do both of those things, but it seems way more likely now then if it were not making those noises.

Definitely.